Probably not a touristic "must-see" in Australia....

Stillwater

Entering the red heart of the continent after depart from Adelaide in NE direction:

Posted Image

The name of this place is already a valuable indication: Broken Hill Mine (at least the miners have an exotic golf course over there...)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Returning towards Adelaide just before dusk:

Posted Image

I disagree with your heading Gerold,

Broken Hill is definitely a place people should go and see, there's probably no other place in the world with a landscape like it, it is also home to the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

The Aussie outback is so different to anywhere else.

Nice shots mate..good to see you flying around the country. Good screenies however at the angles do not convey the deepness of the pit.

Highly recommend that you google a real photograph of the "pit" as it is a good enough reason by itself for tourists to visit. (sorry Orbx, but sometimes you just gotta be there in real life for the whole experience).

Hi Gerold,

I have to agree to disagree - that is quite an interesting place to visit. While you're at it, check out Kalgoorlie and Mt Whaleback / Newman. Or keep those two on your list if you want to continue your planned tour...

Great pics, by the way!

Broken Hill is definitely a place people should go and see, there's probably no other place in the world with a landscape like it, it is also home to the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

Nice shots mate..good to see you flying around the country. Good screenies however at the angles do not convey the deepness of the pit.

Highly recommend that you google a real photograph of the "pit" as it is a good enough reason by itself for tourists to visit. (sorry Orbx, but sometimes you just gotta be there in real life for the whole experience).

Hi Gerold,

I have to agree to disagree - that is quite an interesting place to visit. While you're at it, check out Kalgoorlie and Mt Whaleback / Newman. Or keep those two on your list if you want to continue your planned tour...

Great pics, by the way!

Hi mates,

it is great to have started such a nice discussion. I do agree with your opinion: The place looks amazing, and in Google earth even better (how would it be from a real helicopter tour, if allowed?). It is just a few hours away from the usual touristic pathways, and may not be everyones interest (ok, maybe leave the rest of the group shopping in Adelaide and make a tour with geologic interested....).

Mallard, I will surely keep your suggestions on the list. Oh, it is already quite long...

Now I´ve grabbed a travel guide off the shelf and learned.... Indeed, Broken Hill has something in hands for tourists: Not only home of the Royal Flying Doctor Service, also base for the School of the Air. The world´s biggest Silver-, Lead- and Zinc mine. Home of the Pro Hart gallery, with paintings from Monet, Picasso, Dali, Rembrandt. And even the name has made its career into economics: Broken Hill Propriety Co., better known as BHP.

Wow, I have to say a big THANK YOU to Mel, as you have turned a "scenic" trip into an excursion. Fantastic!

Archived