Pilot Controlled Airport Lighting

RCFlyer

Perhaps this has been asked before, if so, sorry. Have the developers of Orbx airports considered including pilot controlled airport lighting into those small airports that would normally have such a setup? Some of my sim friends and I were discussing PCL the other day and thought it would be a great addition to the experience.

Thanks for your consideration.

I think a bunch of us have considered it. The nut we haven't cracked just yet is how to control it - there's no inherent FSX function for doing it, or you'd have seen PCL years ago in scenery. That's not to say it can't be figured out, though, we just have to put some more programming brain power behind it.

I haven’t done FS programming in years, but some of you will remember how we could open hangar doors by tuning in a radio frequency.

Perhaps if someone still has that code it could serve as a starting point to make custom lights or flaming barrels.

Cheers.

The old conditional code that was used to do things like open hangar doors in FS9 was deprecated in FSX. The Aces team stripped conditional processing out of the MDL format, leaving us with static models only. We've found a way around this to some degree using outside tech like ObjectFlow, which injects models into FSX using conditional processing, but we haven't extended it yet to include conditional one-shot animations. As I said though, it's probably doable at some point.

The old conditional code that was used to do things like open hangar doors in FS9 was deprecated in FSX. The Aces team stripped conditional processing out of the MDL format, leaving us with static models only.

The FS9 models still work in FSX tho so it's still supported to some extent... but I guess you're saying that you can't create FSX-native models with this capability? Just want to clarify

The FS9 models still work in FSX tho so it's still supported to some extent... but I guess you're saying that you can't create FSX-native models with this capability? Just want to clarify

If you want clean, FSX-native code, then you have to drop the old-style MDL/BGLs. I'm not sure a single old-style model here and there is particularly detrimental to performance, but when you add as much detail as we do, you want to be sure you're wringing the most FPS possible from the objects.

for some reason FSX dropped the use of PAL (Pilot Assist Lighting) or PCL as you call it when it was in FS9/FS2004.

One of our regular VATPAC simmers created some of the Airfields near his hometown here in Australia while abroad working and has been able to get PAL/PCL to work on the airports he created for FSX.

There is a topic on the OZx website Forums re this here

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/14186-pal-lighting-in-fsx-that-work/

and links for the 3 airports are there also

Merimbula http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/2453-merimbula-ymer-nsw-australia/

Mallacoota http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/2963-mallacoota-ymco-vic-fsx/

Orbost http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/2880-orbost-yorb-vic-australia/

I remember one of the other sims used to have this feature years ago. Was it Flight Unlimited, or perhaps an early version of X-Plane? I can't remember but I had FU III abd X-Plane 5 as well as Microsoft Flight Simulator.

John G

I also had FU2 & 3 At the time it ran rings around FS for graphic detailed terrain and textures but was a limited geographic area to fly. The ATC AI was great and still can hear the tower telling me they appreciated me mowing the grass but please remain on the taxiways.........I was still fairly radical back then and did not always conform to procediures and protocols. LOL

I understand from others I fly with that it was either FS9 or could have been the earlie FS2002 that had the PAL Activation in it.

Jeez Chandy your just down the road a bit from me Used to have a school mate there that owned a strawberry farm.....

Coffs is about 4-5 hours by road from here, I think. I remember there was a strawberry farm south of Newcastle city at Bennets Green (a suburb of Newcastle), right on the Pacific Hwy. There is another one to the north of here, which also grows tomatoes. This one is very popular with the tourists I believe but I have never been there - Ricardo's.

Regards,

John G

I know that there is a good freeware Duxford out there with a gate that opens on a radio frequency, and that's how pilot controlled lighting works at some real-world airports too, so i suppose it is possible, it's just a matter of practicality.

Chandy the strawberry farm was off memory owned by the Comoroski or something like that and think it was called Merry Oaks but this was god I must be getting old it was back in my apprenticeship days at the Dockyard around 1978-80. One could say I know newcastle fairly well seeing as I was born at Merewether and lived there for nearly 30 yrs still have family down that way. Yes its about 4 1/2 hrs to Coffs. Ricardo's at Port Macquarie do have the nicest Tomatoes and strawberries too.

Anyway getting a bit off topic Maybe you are able to come join us on the VATPAC flights on Wed night at 8pm 'World Discovery' or 'VFR Operations' same time on Fri/Sun nights. Details are on VATPAC site

I have given up trying to get on-line to fly. Too many frustrations. I am getting too long in the tooth and too short on time to bother with it. It has something to do with my set-up. Others have tried to assist but to no avail.

I can see the moderator clamping this thread, being off-topic as it is.

Enjoy Coffs!

Regards,

John G

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

It is possible! I have figured it out and have created three sceneries that utilize PAL (Pilot Activated Lighting) using the Com1 frequency, thanks to tutorials at the FsDeveloper site. First you model the lights in Gmax, compile and then tweak the (.asm) code before re-compiling using 'bglcomp'. It isn't easy and took me some time to figure out and get right despite all the info being there on that website. My sceneries can be found at aussiex.org (OZx) and search for my YMER, YMCO, YORB sceneries in "User Scenery". JohnO

qVEcP.png

I also had FU2 & 3 At the time it ran rings around FS for graphic detailed terrain and textures but was a limited geographic area to fly. The ATC AI was great and still can hear the tower telling me they appreciated me mowing the grass but please remain on the taxiways.........

And I remember distinctly that they were not too impressed when you entered an airspace without due authorization .... That was a GREAT simulator! 

• 6 years later...

It is there now. Fsaerodate provides it with each AIRAC update. Just purchased it but question now is how to use it? Flying over Socal at night shows all runways already light up (at least if getting closer). Would appreciate some advise from Orbx

Archived