Can't untick default FSX AI

Wendall

Hi guys,

I downloaded the GA traffic pack, and it looks wonderful, but I can't seem to get it to work

When I run the configurator, this comes up

Posted Image

But when I untick default traffic, this box shows up

Posted Image

If I close the configurator, the default traffic box is back to being ticked

Attached a screenshot of the FTX AI files which are located in your ....\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery folder, I've separated this out from the folder so it well may be that you do not have all of them. mostly the reason that the application can't switch is that there are two identical files in the folder of which one has the .bgl extension and the other has the .OFF extension, the application looks for one or the other to be able to switch (rename) if it finds both it says it can't switch as both are present, solution is to delete one of them and the application should be able to switch again.

Posted Image

let us know how you fare.

The only file you need to be concerned with for this option is the file named trafficAircraft.bgl. The control panel option for this file will add DISABLED-FOR-FTX-AI when the default AI traffic deselected. problems with this option will occur if the file gets out of sinc, possibly ending up with two files of the same name, one with the trailer and one without.

It should also be noted that other AI traffic packages from 3rd parties (UT2 etc.) may also disable your default AI traffic by adding something else to this file. Once that happens, the option for the default traffic on the FTX control panel will not work. That is fine as you can still control the default traffic via that 3rd party option.

Of more concern is that you say you have now deleted all the files with .OFF instead of .bgl. if so, then you have misunderstood Walters' advice as his suggestion was to remove only one file when you had duplicates. ie one with the .bgl ending and one with .OFF. I'm not sure you should have had that situation so would not have any need for deletions. Let me know if i am wrong in this assumption.

If you have removed all these .OFF files then all is not that bad. These files were all set to .OFF as part of the FTX NA AI traffic pack install routine as they are not required if you have the traffic pack installed. It just means that if they are no longer there, the AI traffic option on each of the airport control panels will be greyed out and you will no longer be able to select any of them. It is my preferred option to remove these airport specific traffic files anyway as I have no further need for them now and they are just taking up disc space. That is purely a personal thing though and not necessarily the view of my Orbx colleagues.

Hi Graham,

Firstly, the only files I deleted were FTX NA AI Abbrev callsigns.OFF and FTX NA AI Large Business Jets Abbrev callsigns.OFF. And regarding 3rd party disabling the option, I have quite a bit of WOAI, is that the cause? If so, how do I go about enabling this package?

• 2 months later...

I really hate to bring this back up, but after buying quite a few packages for the holidays, I feel like the AI will add to the experience.

I just reinstalled the entire pack itself, and still can not untick the box for default traffic. Now, I have just checked for duplicates of trafficAircraft.bgl, and I only have one, along with DISABLED-FOR-FTX-AI right next to it. Now, I have a hunch that WOAI has done something that is making this problem appear. Is this possible? What should I do now?

Many thanks, and sorry for digging this back up,

Just to confirm. you only have one of the two files trafficAircraft.bgl and trafficAircraft.bgl.DISABLED-FOR-FTX-AI. If you have one of each, the control panel will not work. If you have both, delete one, it doesn't matter which one, as long as you only have one of the two files, the control panel will work.

You also need to check your WOAI traffic files. They are compiled for FS9 and will suppress any FSX compiled traffic files when used in FSX. That means the FTX AI traffic packs as well as the FSX Default AI traffic will not work with the WOAI traffic files active. You can get around this by recompiling the WOAI traffic files as FSX ones and deleting the original FS9 versions. This can be done with Don Grovestines AI Flight Planner utility.

Just to confirm. you only have one of the two files trafficAircraft.bgl and trafficAircraft.bgl.DISABLED-FOR-FTX-AI. If you have one of each, the control panel will not work. If you have both, delete one, it doesn't matter which one, as long as you only have one of the two files, the control panel will work.

You also need to check your WOAI traffic files. They are compiled for FS9 and will suppress any FSX compiled traffic files when used in FSX. That means the FTX AI traffic packs as well as the FSX Default AI traffic will not work with the WOAI traffic files active. You can get around this by recompiling the WOAI traffic files as FSX ones and deleting the original FS9 versions. This can be done with Don Grovestines AI Flight Planner utility.

Thanks a ton Graham, deleted one of the files, and downloaded the AIFPU. So far so good.

EDIT: Hmm. so now I can't start FSX. I complied the traffic files as FSX ones, but get a "Cannot read from file" message from the FSX splashscreen, and then it closes itself. Perhaps I am forgetting a step, will look at it later after dinner.

I'm assuming this issue started after you converted all your WOAI FS9 traffic files to FSX ones. If so, move them to a temporary folder outside your FSX structure. Start FSX and see if all is now good. If so, add your WOAI traffic files back one at a time starting FSX after you restored each WOAI file until you find the offending file.

I'm assuming this issue started after you converted all your WOAI FS9 traffic files to FSX ones. If so, move them to a temporary folder outside your FSX structure. Start FSX and see if all is now good. If so, add your WOAI traffic files back one at a time starting FSX after you restored each WOAI file until you find the offending file.

I did this, but it appears it is all of the WOAI files. I managed to corrupt them or something. I now have a folder full of the .bgls, and a folder full of the old .baks. What should I do now?

Don Grovestine, the developer of AI Flight Planner has requested a copy of one of your 'corrupt' files so he can analyse this issue. Please e-mail Don at don@stuff4fs.com and attach one of the problem files to your e-mail.

I'll mark this issue as resolved as the original matter has now been sorted. You should follow up the WOAI/AIFP issues directly with Don who is completely independent to Orbx. I have no doubt Don will get to the bottom of this in his usual friendly and helpful manner.

Archived