Hope for us old guys yet

teecee

Brigadier General Chuck Yeager is a WWII Ace (13 victories).

In 1945 he became a test pilot for the newly created US Air Force.

In 1947 he happened to break the sound barrier onbord the Bell X 1 prototype this has been very well retrace in the great movie "The Righ Stuff". (He can be seen briefly as one of the clients in the pilot's bar at the base)

For more detail about his incredible life, just read Wikipedia.

A true American hero!

Depends on your point of view, Bill.

I cannot for the life of me, see any worthwhile endeavour in 'old mate' falling out of the heavens, other than the back slapping (which it seems that this current generation are obsessed by).

"Chucky" (that would be the original Yeager bomb) , on the other hand, developed techniques for pilots to handle high speed aircraft and spacecraft, and that was after he'd had a glorious and illustrious flying career.

There ain't many hero's left in my book, but I can honestly say that reading about Yeagers exploits, when I was a boy, inspired my love of all things avaiation.

"Long live the Yeager!"

Frank

Depends on your point of view, Bill.

I cannot for the life of me, see any worthwhile endeavour in 'old mate' falling out of the heavens, other than the back slapping (which it seems that this current generation are obsessed by).

Frank

Agreed Frank - yep, Chuck is still my inspiration - 'upstaged' is used as a subtle questioning of the motives for the free fall undertaking.

Archived