The very first FTX England Screenshot!

I think John just posted a picture showing why FTX will be irrelevant for NGX jockeys :lol: ?

Coming back to the UK2000 airfields and further to JV's post there are demo downloads of a few fields from each of their packs on their web site so you can see for yourself how they compare with the FTX England "generic fields" and look at some compatability issues. BTW the demos allow you to choose which fields you install so if the FTX one suits you better you can ignore that field.

Personally I think the FTX "policy" on airfields/airports is good because in reality few "mega airports" in the UK have any facilities for GA anyway. In the UK the CAA has encouraged seperation of GA and commercial/heavy flying and as you can see the UK isn't short of GA fields. Regardless of that the landing fees and compulsory handling charges at these fields make them unsuasable for most GA pilots.

Southend is an excellent choice as would Manston be. These welcome GA aircraft and here in the South are favourites for learning IFR and (what used to be) IMC rating techniques. Manston of course has a famous history as an emergency field from WWII and it's massive runway will cope with just about anything that flies.

Geoff

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see southend airport get the Orbx treatment..

Only recently Easy Jet started flying from there.so ngx would be amazing

Not too big airport but the surrounding scenery and the tides at Southend goes out for miles.. this would look.great enhanced by Orbx

I'll second this idea, especially with the worlds longest pleasure pier there as well.

The significance of London Southend has been recognised by it again winning the ERA Airport Achievement Award for the second time in three years. Previous winners include Munich, Nantes Atlantique and London City.

Maybe also worth noting that UK2000 do not have this on their list of planned Extreme airports.

Of course, the fact it's 2 miles from my office and I've flown from here twice in 3 months is a seperate and non-influencing factor :-)

Robin Hood at Doncaster Sheffield is a commercial airport that also has GA facilities (they have a flying school based there) so they do exist.

Quick question on airports/airfields that are not get FTXified - how are you treating military bases? Will they be left as default or will you be giving them accurate tarmac layouts with generic buildings?

We will certainly be doing NGX compatible airports in the UK, beginning with Southampton International, the hub for FlyBe's 737 fleet. Russ White is working on that project.

I would wait until FTX England is released before investing in 3rd party airports - all the UK airports will have been given the Orbx makeover anyway so get the region first and then wait for reports from customers who are using 3rd party non-Orbx airports with it.

i was always going to wait for Orbx first and wait see what is released for UK, Ive always wanted you guys to do EGGC Manchester thats my wish while your in my home land area of scenery products. This scenery looks amazing and i am one very excited customer:-). Thanks John.

Jimmy

Like everyone else, I'm really excited, but at the same time slightly worried that all my lovely UK2000 airports won't work properly. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

could you resist any Orbx strip being beautyflowed even if you had another version of it?. I dont think youve got the strength my friend, I know i havent:-)

Jimmy

Like everyone else, I'm really excited, but at the same time slightly worried that all my lovely UK2000 airports won't work properly. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

I know what you mean tho Howard about investment and compatibility. I hope they work just fine for you mate:-)

Jimmy

I know what you mean tho Howard about investment and compatibility. I hope they work just fine for you mate:-)

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy, sure, I agree, I couldn't resist the UK being beautyflowed :D and looking at Goodwood, the Orbx journey for all us UK simmers is going to be a very colourful one!

Haha I know Howard:-) Im the same. Its going to be amazin Im sure, I dont currently fly in my home land for the lack of my scenery collection I only have Orbx now. Its going to be great to finally come home:-). I agree these are exciting times and great for us Uk customers and great to expand the Orbx scenery and community. Going back a year and a half I went to a flight sim expo at Cosford, I asked about Orbx and obviously recommended them highly to the ressellers but no one hardly even heard of them. I bet they have now:-). Nice to chat to you again Howard my friend:-).

Jimmy

Nice to chat to you again Howard my friend:-).

...and you Jimmy. Hey, here's a thought that I'm going to throw in the mix... I would love to see, and it not necessarilly pertains just to the UK, but I would love to see someone release a few small glider fields. Now I know most of us would ask why, probably due to the small amount of interest in gliding, but I would love to be able to start some of my gliding trips from a recognised glider strip. They would be relatively easy to produce due to the smaller amount of building etc needed. But to have some higher res grass strips, a few AI gliders and a couple of club buildings would be great. I'd be thinking of perhaps, of course, Lasham, Gloucester gliding club over in the Cotswolds, then there's Sutton bank up in the Yorkshire dales, just to name three. I mean, anyone who has done any sailplaning of any worth in FSX will probably agree. I mean, flying the Discus with Cumulus X, and then also a hi res strip with Orbx scenery, blimey that would be heaven!

I have just had a thought... I seem to remember Orbx released a video promoting their Aus scenery, it was one of their first I think, and in the video there was a sequence of gliding which included a handful of circling sailplanes, can anyone remember? Well, does anyone know if there is any addon anywhere that generates AI gliders?

I look forward to the beautiful Mendip Hills for Howard, Dartmoor for Mark, Cotswolds for Emmsie and others: while I am sure there are equally devoted lovers of the Yorkshire Dales. I hope Beautyflow can also mean colours and flowers but of course harder to make and harder on systems.

With Bristol, Southend and Southampton flourishing as commercial airports there are many great opportunities for airline flying as well as low level VFR in the UK.

Crawling along at nought feet around the cliffs of Cornwall is something I really look forward to doing, as well as being held to 6000ft in a tube skirting Heathrow zones.

If UK 2000 airports work with FTX then fine, and I hope that the many developers see the sense in building installers for FTX and P3D as Orbx undoubtedly will become the scenery of choice for the UK.

I know there are many who are devoted to either NGX or Airbus, are devoted to one and hate the other, but to be realisitic flying out of the UK needs both. I love the PMDG and I hope desperately for one of the upcoming Airbus to be finally finished, complete and on the market to capture the glory of the Orbx scenery!

Ahh.. the rolling cliffs of cornwall, dartmoor national park, then a canyon red bull run through cheddar gorge before skimming under clifton suspension bridge... then up to gloucestershire and following the Thames from all the way up to the estury to southend :)

This scenery looks amazing, will certainly be going on my Christmas list :P Also, I agree with the suggestion for smaller grass airstrips and gliding fields, much more my sort of thing then the large international airports.

How about Old Warden Aerodrome EGTH - home to the Shuttleworth Collection? I would really love to see this recreated with the Orbx realism!

Just got my issue of PC Pilot today, & inside there is an advert for FTX England, saying get it now from the FTX website. So I go to the website, but there was nothing. I had this when REX Essentials was just about to be released as well. Never mind, I will just have to wait a little longer.

If the countryside in the advert is anything to go by, I will be a very very happy man.

Don't forget PC Pilot is a bi-monthly magazine and the current issue is Nov-Dec 2012 ...despite which I received my subscription issue today (18th October). Standard magazine practice with publication deadlines way ahead of the cover publication dates.

Oh my goodness FTX England! I must say that those screenies are making my eyes sore :-) Having just migrated to Prepar3d and having a vanilla installation I think it would be rude not to wait for this. Goodwood is only down the road from my too so I'm chomping at the bit to experience this airport,

Simon

Could of chose a better screenie though for that image, looks very blurry to me.

Judging by the sizes of the pixels in that full page shot (look at the horizon, and the buildings...), I'd say that this was a "zoomed in" shot... or perhaps a resampled "low res" shot purely as an attention grabber... I'm quite certain that the wow factor will be there... maybe we're all just not ready for such awesomeness... our eyes will need time to adjust ;)

OK I'll succumb ...

Sam Hudson showed the team these three shots a few days ago. They are from the beta release due to be uploaded any day, and represents about a 90% complete product. Please be kind to us since there are still some warts visible which we know about and are working on :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Note the extremely dense autogen in use, and it's the same tech as NZ so killer FPS and smooth as butter.

I can promise you there will be hundreds of preview shots coming soon, by the likes of Emmsie and Mark. Stay tuned.

Looks the dogs bollocks to me! Though shots without what looks like some shader mods would be nice. That first pic (aside from the dodgy looking bright white sky), is just what England looks like on a typical day.......if there is such a thing.

As for the 'lack of sharpness' comments, I'm wondering how sharp anyone sees terrain out the wndow in real life? One of the things that has annoyed me over the years is this ongoing need to get everything looking sharp, when in fact nothing should (IMO) look sharp at a distance........ok moan switched off.

Certainly looking forward to this release :D

England will come under the FTX Central "Europe" region and you won't be able to do NYC to London for instance; you must choose to be in either North America or Europe when you depart and deal with the trade-off with having incorrect autogen at the destination.

What many tubeliner simmers do is save the flight mid-flight, exit FSX, switch regions in FTX Central, then load the flight and the issue is solved.

Archived