Today, I'll be sharing the wind farms of North Island. These farms have dozens upon dozens of turbines accurately placed by Tim Harris. There are several different types of turbines featured; double blade, triple blade, steel girder structure, etc.

Enjoy!

Wind farm near Palmerston North

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One final shot at the wind farm near Palmerston North. Watching the turbines beacons light up at dusk is quite the sight!

Posted Image

Wind farm near Raglan.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes Alex, Tim has captured the desicration of our beautiful landscape quite nicely and rightly so for that's exactly what it looks like now. Funny that the tree huggers that wanted them are strangely silent these days. Having lived here since childhood I am just mortified that they are adding more and more every

year. Not in my back yard eh?

Gee you could spend hours flying an old tiger moth in between and around each wind turbine, just to see how long it takes before you crash into one of them. It would be similar to barn storming, and without a doubt, it would be more painful crashing into a wind turbine than into a barn! Painful alright for the insurance company that has to fork out the money to replace the wind turbine! ???

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

Its interesting to see the variety in structural design of these turbines. I had only been aware of the single column supporting the huge propeller. I have spotted several lines of wind turbines along the crests of hills as I have flown around the north island. Is there going to be an addon to more acurately portray the ones already pictured?

thanks, Cal

Hi Cal,

Is there going to be an addon to more accurately portray the ones already pictured?

I'm not sure I understand this comment correctly?, there are 5 types of custom wind turbines made specifically for NZNI, each with different pole style, height or propeller setup.

Cheers

Tim

You know, I expect when mills were powered by wind in Britain and Holland, the residents all thought they were horrible and ugly.

Now we think of those that are left as romantic and beautiful memories of a bygone age.

I wonder if the people in 100 years or so will look upon these modern equivalents with the same nostalgia?

One thing I do know though, from the ones I've got for Britain and Europe is that they are an ideal object of interest when you're flying low and slow looking at scenery in the flight simulator.

So when are we likely to get 'em?

John

Archived