Southern Alaska / Tongass Fjords

GlennH

Quick question - Will the upcoming Southern Alaska region include the area covered by Tongass or will it start North of where Tongass left off?

I am thinking about getting Tongass but if its all being re-worked for FTX I will leave it.

Tongass was done by Bill Womack, one of the FTX developers. I doubt they'll redo it.

Actually it was done by Holger and Bill.

I was simply unaware of what area FTX Southern Alaska would cover, hence the question.

Hi Glenn,

here's how the three products -- South Central Alaska, Pacific Fjords, and Tongass Fjords X -- will fit together.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks!

Great to see it will cover Anchorage! I foresee flying all the way from Bowerman, up to Seattle, to Vancouver, to Bella Coola (whenever it's released), to Stewart, to Sitka, to Anchorage. That last leg will be kind of enormous though, without some OrbX field in between...

with everything coming from Orbx, there is no time for my day job, wait a minute I'll need it to buy all that scenery, HaHaHa

But don't blame Orbx because you lost your job :D

Imagine the face of your chief after you told him you cannot work anymore because of flightsimulator addons ;)

Any Chance that Orbx would be interested in doing scenery for a completely different platform? More specifically, DCS World. They have recently opened their doors to third party developers. Although quite different than FSX/Prepar3d, This community could really use a good scenery development team. An area of increasing interest, seams to be the Alaska/ Bering Straight/ Kamchatka Peninsula area. As far as flying and gaming goes, a very Dynamic region. This could definitely be one of the best opportunities to branch out, and secure the title of best simulation terrain add-on company once and for all. Being a huge fan of Orbx, but a frustrated user of FSX, I would love to see DCS just take off (No pun intended). The flight dynamics are the most accurate (with comparison to FSX or X-Plane), and system modeling is top notch. The aspect that is really lacking, is good scenery. Iris, Rasbam, and a couple other companies have signed on to develop aircraft. This could be a big opportunity for Orbx to be THE scenery developer for DCS. Not to mention throwing in a couple of civilian aircraft.

Quick question - Will the upcoming Southern Alaska region include the area covered by Tongass or will it start North of where Tongass left off?

I am thinking about getting Tongass but if its all being re-worked for FTX I will leave it.

Reworked! I hope not Tongas Fj X is THE best addon for fsx, even if Orbx is the best developer for FSX. We will probably wont see that kind of package again in FSX. Very sad. Orbx is the next best thing, and the top 2 best are working there. Hoger and Bill again thank you for such wonders.

I just got Tongass X......it is great, although the textures are not quite up to the current Orbx standards which is totally understandable given its age.

Brilliant package though.

• 2 months later...

Hello All.

I have for the first time bought outside of Orbx for scenery. i know it's a bit like putting the horse before the cart but a question if someone could answer it for me please. If I fly from an airport in Pacific Fords to an airport in Tongass Fjords do I have to change anything or will all be okay. When installing TFX do I have to place it somewhere different to where all Orbx scenery is kept.

Regards and thanks,

Jim. zl2bmh

• 2 months later...

Hi Glenn,

here's how the three products -- South Central Alaska, Pacific Fjords, and Tongass Fjords X -- will fit together.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

will South Central Alaska have those very detailed airports like your excellent Glacier Bay V2 scenery?

Glacier Bay was one of the best sceneries ever made for FS9; me and many others would certainly love to see that one coming to FSX!

Greetings from Germany

Ike

Hi Holger,

will South Central Alaska have those very detailed airports like your excellent Glacier Bay V2 scenery?

Glacier Bay was one of the best sceneries ever made for FS9; me and many others would certainly love to see that one coming to FSX!

Greetings from Germany

Ike

Holger and Neil also have information on this but I am doing the photoreal areas for Southern Alaska so I have explored quite a bit. The airports enhanced by Neil and Chris are top notch as always and some of the airports in the region do have a bit extra such as photoreal towns to check out. The region is overall larger than Glacier Bay but you'll see your favourite places like Skagway, Hoonah, and Juneau enhanced very nicely I think. There are also some news locations that I think are just as nice like Seward and Valdez.

Coming from a former FS9 junkie who spent all their time in Holger's sceneries I think I can say that Southern Alaska will have the same charm as Glacier Bay and Tongass Fjords :)

And Return to Misty Moorings has an AI Shipping project just waiting for SAK to arrive. You'll see major AI shipping activity in the region like Cruise Ships heading up into Glacier Bay, Juneau and Skagway as well as along the coast to/from Anchorage and Seward.

Commercial ships plying the waters along the coast line from Hoonah to Anchorage. And plenty of tanker traffic in Prince William Sound and Valdez. And more.

In fact we have just released our first two free AI Shipping projects that cover the Pacific Fjords and Tongass Fjords regions. Pacific Northwest is in final testing as well and will be out in a few days.

So from the Southern Oregon border all the way up the North America coast to Anchorage, you will be able to see lots of AI Shipping traffic now. Stop on over to RTMM and pick up some free goodies! Look in our "Enhancements" section.

Brad

• 1 month later...

Now to the full-featured FTX regions coming in 2013/14:

FTX EU Wales

FTX EU Scotland

FTX EU Northern Ireland

FTX EU Ireland

FTX EU Netherlands

FTX NA South Alaska

FTX NA Northern California

FTX NA New England Maritimes

:-)))))

I've got my eye on creating a high-detail Valdez airport at some point. Not sure where it stands in the order of things, though.

Valdez, I have been flying up there lately; The whole area looks fantastic from Google Earth images.

That would be great!

Cheers.

Funny you should mention it; I was perusing photos of the Valdez airport when you posted. This definitely looks like a fun one to create.

+1 for Valdez!

Some time ago there was an amazing youtube video in this forum about the STOL competition in Valdez.

Just a thought, Bill, but it would be cool to have something like this (as an option in the control panel?).

Archived