Operations at Lord Howe Island

Reachva

Greetings all,

Not sure where to put this so I decided to post it here. I know that Qantaslink flies Dash-8s to Lord Howe Island and Ansett Flying Boat Services once flew there in flying boats but I'm curious as to what the largest land aircraft that can/has landed there. It's an interesting place that I enjoy flying around but as of yet never actually flown to.

It is amazing the places a C130 can get in and out of. They are designed to land on unprepared runways. Tough aircraft

Dash 8 is the same as it is designed for operations on gravel strips in Canada's Arctic. Dash 8 is from the same factory as the Beaver:

Beaver -> Otter -> Twin Otter -> Dash 7 -> Dash 8

The herc is certainly larger than I imagined you could get in there though I suppose it's likely to be weight restricted in some form or another. The twin otter is one of my personal favorites to fly due to its versatility and ability to get in and out of small spaces.

The herc is certainly larger than I imagined you could get in there though I suppose it's likely to be weight restricted in some form or another.

Here is a good video without rocket assistance of a C130 STOL:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGHFPGFV1aU

The Americans have rocket assistance which gives it an even shorter take-off distance. Fat Albert demonstrates that with the Blue Angels.

Some nice variety then for trying new things and practicing navigation then. The other day (in sim of course) I flew the Qantas DC-4 Pacific Trader to and from the island. More challenging landing than taking off but with light weights both times it wasn't too bad. Certainly a rush seeing that pavement disappearing and hoping you'll make it!

Archived