Three monitors, widescreen view

baldrick110

Hi All,

I have searched and searched but can't find the exact answer to what I suspect is a really silly question, but I'm finding it very frustrating.

I have finally got three monitors on my system, using a 5870 video card. Now how on Earth do I spread the virtual cockpit view across all 3 monitors? Settings will only give me the option of 1920x1080 resolution.

TIA

What you need to do is setup three windows in FSX with (I beleive) the bracket key [ (the one next to the letter P).

You can open and spread those windows to each of your monitors and setup the view of your choice in each window.....I am doing this from memory as I am at work right now but that is how I remember it.

Also I think you can spread one of those windows over three monitors

Cheers

Hi baldrick,

I do not use ATI, I have multiple monitors and Nvidia Surround.

I would assume you would use the ATI Catalyst to set the native resolution of three monitors as either (5760x1080 or 5760x1200) whichever applies. You then need to start Flight Sim, enter settings and select that same resolution. Close down Flight Sim and then restart, that should be it.

If that's an ATI 5870 card you should have Eyefinity which will stretch the virtual cockpit across the three monitors. It what I use. you might have to play with the various view zooms to get it to look good. I use 0.30 zoom for the virtual cockpit and 0.30 zoom for external locked spot view. Hope that helps.

jp

You should do, it's called the Catalyst Control Centre. Have a look down in your notifications area in windows, there should be a little red icon for it. You can also right click on your desktop and a context menu item to launch the CCC should be there.

Cheers,

Derek

Whoa horsey, you need to go into your 'display' panel in the windows control center and make sure you have detected and identified your 3 displays, then make sure you have '1\3 multiple monitors' showing in the display tab. Then go to your CCC and make sure you click on 3x1 landscape. When this is done set your res in the 'display panel' to the right resolution. I believe this is right, but if not send me a private message and I will help you personally. Have a look here. http://www.orbxsyste...your-pitsnrigs/

ps; make sure you change your res in game too

Exactly how did you install the driver software? What was the size of the download? What brand of card do you have? mmmm....if you go to the Catalyst Control Center folder in your Start\programs\Catalyst Control Center click then double click the Catalyst Control Center icon. OR. right click anywhere on your desktop and click Catalyst Control Center

ps; ATI is very finicky about how to install and uninstall there software.(pain in the ass) when I uninstall, all I do is uninstall the whole device and then reinstall if I have problems and it usually solves any issues.

You thankfully do not have CCC installed in which case you still should identify the monitors and then assign all three as your primary screen, Ray Adams tray tools should help and the Eyefinity utility will do the trick also , hopefully you will get it sorted without installing the CCC resource hog (unless it has improved a LOT)

Hi Marshkop

I have 3 screens working in eyefinity but i want a 4th screen for gauges I have a ATi 5870 and a ATi 5570 in my pc but if I run my 4th screen with my 5570 it kills my FPS.

I do have another pc I can connect ?

Jimmy

Hi Marshkop

I have 3 screens working in eyefinity but i want a 4th screen for gauges I have a ATi 5870 and a ATi 5570 in my pc but if I run my 4th screen with my 5570 it kills my FPS.

I do have another pc I can connect ?

Jimmy

Hey Jimmy, I used a 5850 with eyefinity and used the other mini display port for the forth screen and gauges. However I experienced the same fps drop and my resolution was to buy a 6970 2g wich handles the load alot better. I was going to use the 5850 for 3 more screens for my gauges in eyefinity but it only has 1g of memory. Not to mention the power consumption was an issue. I only have a XFX 700w psu and with all my perefrials and hds, mods, blah.......it wont take another card. so another computer is in the works for that.

So to answer your Q, I'd check the power consumption in your comp or it might be the way you installed the ATI software wrong. When ever I have Qs like that I go to the ATI website because I find that its hard to find people with the same problems. I'm not sure if what you and I are seeing is a popular prob. or not but I've pretty much have had to find out for myself by researching and scowering the internet.

You thankfully do not have CCC installed in which case you still should identify the monitors and then assign all three as your primary screen, Ray Adams tray tools should help and the Eyefinity utility will do the trick also , hopefully you will get it sorted without installing the CCC resource hog (unless it has improved a LOT)

Maurice is right, however I find that with 6gs of very fast ram and tight timmings has aleaviated most of problems with the hog known as CCC. I have CCC, AVG, Antispyware, and a few other apps going in the background all the time. It all takes about 1.8gs constant when running with W7 64. That leaves 4.2gs for FSX and it only utilises 4gs. Cutting it close yeah. Just add more ram, we could all use more ram. :)

you might first go to your FSX.CFG file and change the line wideaspectratio=false to True. Another thing you will find is that you will most likely have to run in if fullscreen mode not windowed mode. There is also software that can help you to identify and select the monitors you want to spread your view across from 2 to 10 or more. It is only a matter of looking

Thanks All,

I downloaded the CCC and now it works brilliantly. First tried at an FTX airport (YBMQ) and it was very jittery, need to make some adjustments there, but with my UK photoscenery it works a treat. I don't like that you can't zoom out enough to see the instruments properly, I can see me getting a 4th screen eventually for that!

Now just need to work out why I have a black bar down the side of one screen and a black border on another - nothing to do with FSX, they were there as soon as I hooked them up........

Use the Bezel Compensation in the Eyefinity Multi-Display panel in the CCC. That should help you with the black lines. Then go here (drect link)http://www.assembla....2yr4zOracwqjQYw Then go here http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35 Install these. It helps with fps and graphics. Also as rf253 mentioned locate your fsx cfg file and add - wideaspectratio=True This will help you to see the instruments way better. This is how your sim should look, or close to it. Posted Image Posted Image

Wide view Aspect "True" will give you distortion at the edge of your screen, False is more realistic Control Enter will back you away from the virtual cockpit panel for a slightly better view.

It is not more realistic, it is a diferent compromise. Moving the eyepoint works in some cases but its value is limited because it eventually puts you behind the seat. Even if it doesn't, turning your head makes it obvious that you are not sitting in the front seat, and you see the wrong view out of the window or your head passes through the seat or structure of the aircraft. Assuming you set the zoom level to match what your eye would see if you were sitting in the aircraft, the 'fisheye' effect is completely natual and is appropriate as long as the distorted parts remain in your peripheral vision. Keeping them there is one of the things you have to learn when setting up and using TrackIR.

• 1 month later...

Help required pick the forums brains a bit here.

This is my current setup

I am currently using the following

OS - Win7 64bit

MB - Q6600 with 2.4Gb CPU

GPU - 2 Nvidia 8800GTX cards - 2 monitors on each. (4 monitors in total - 3 x 23" and 1 x 19".

RAM - 8gb OCz Reaper

My current setup is I am using one monitor for the VC or 2D view on 1 x 23" monitor. Want to have this across 2 monitors ideally.

something like this

Posted Image

as can be seen on another 23" monitor I have FS Commander and Plan G running using 1/2 screen each. On the smaller 19" monitor I have FSInn panels and Teamspeak 3 windows displayed.

However I have not been able to achieve this successfully although have seen it on other systems but could not get a reply from the author as to how it was acheived.

The only way I have achieved anything close to that has been like this

Posted Image

Repositioning the cockpit view in between the 2 monitors then adding 2 additional (left) and (right) views either side of the cockpit view but this impacts heavily on FPS.

I am looking at upgrading the graphics cards to either (2 x Geforce GTX560 1gb) or (2 x Radeon HD6850 1GB) or any other suggestions appreciated

GTX 680 3g version, they are 3 screen ready. 8) Or a ATI 6970,7970 2g, make sure you have more than one gig of ram on board, you're resolution and fps will thank you for it. ;D

Archived