Back to the Cockpit building

tennyson

Here's the few pics I promised.

I needed a top and some grids for the vents. Found just the ticket at Bunnings...door stoppers.

Posted Image

Well, actually the little plastic stopper withing the door stopper. Cut down they look just like a vent and no fiddling about.

Posted Image

Here's the baubles, stoppers and the chrome paint. All the local cockpit builder needs!

Posted Image

And those elusive oxy panels, almost finished. Just some lettering and a few finishing touches

Posted Image

And the knobs for the vent controls. Well, again Bunnings had these for a dollar. Just had to cut them down. You can see the before and after, here:

Posted Image

I also had the chance to test my CPFlight MCP and twin EFIS's last night. All 100%, checks are going nicely.

Have to have my MIP finished by mid week, as we have a major event happening at home here and need to put my car back in the garage.

Nothing like a deadline to get things happening!

Frank

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha....gave the vents a quick coat of silver last nite and they came up alright, but the mirror ball flat areas have shown up a little, so I gave them another good sand and a little filler and I'll see how they come up.

I must say tho, they looked the part with the silver on them.

I'll get a few pics up as soon as I get some colour on them again.

Now, back to that deadline of Wednesday!

Frank

I've been working away feverishly, on and off today.

So, the vents have been sanded about 200 times....well, once or twice, anyway.

They've got another coat of silver now.

Posted Image

And the vent controls are finished, just need some lettering on them:

Posted Image

I'm getting towards the end of wiring, now. Just the last of the dimmers to hook up after the major re-route:

Posted Image

And here's some of the piping I used to re-route the PWM cabling:

Posted Image

Need a cup of coffee to keep the brain functioning......

Frank

The base is 3mm MDF and the plinth part is just a piece of 4 x 2 pine, filed and sanded to shape.

I just need to mount them both on a 3mm panel and screw them to my MIP:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The total cost of these two panels is probably about 20 bucks, but 15 bucks of it was spent on the chrome paint, which I will no doubt have further use for.

Frank

You're right , Dean, I wear a mask.

And Mike, you're right about the cables. I honestly never even thought that it would be so congested back there.

I am very happy tonight, as I've just put the finishing touches to the wiring and it's all done!

I have to finish off the checklist I've made to go throo and check that all things are connected and working, prior to my finishing and re-installing in the flight deck.

I now know why other builders forgo a lot of switches and stuff in the 'pits. It is a lot of work making every switch and dial operate as per the real thing.

I'm pretty happy with my effort and I think the extra switching and lighting and dimming will add to the immersion and genuine feel of the 737.

I've also made the panels for the "fake vents" and given them a coat of paint. I'll finish them off in the morning and then I can install them on the MIP as well.

I've also had news of my sim revolution throttle quadrant and I'm hoping it might be arriving very soon.

So, it's set-up and testing for the next few weeks. That should keep me busy.

At least the physical side of it's finished for a while and i can take a break.

Pics tomorrow of the finished articles.

Frank

Frank,

Very nice! Great craftsmanship....

Had to send my SYS board back for repair. :( Anyway, finally got around to posting some pics thus far (http://www.my737.net). Unfortunately, just as I was starting to have a ton a fun, my free time has significantly dried up...

Guess, I'll be getting a good chunk of my building fix by following your sim! :)

It's going to be a full blown flight deck, Nick.

The next thing I'm working on is the sidewalls (which includes both side windows), which will bolt to the MIP and then the radio bay.

The seats are a bone of contention. I'm a bit both ways on the seats.

On one side, I'd like to put traditional boeing seats, but on the other side, I'd like to build a couple of seats with built in adjustment, forward, aft and up/down. I'm going to incorporate butt-kickers in the seats as well (I've already bought them and they are ready to go).

This should take me throo to Xmas (this year, fingers crossed).

After that, I will build the roof and install a full overhead forward and rear panel (next years project).

I'm hoping to have a fully functional procedural trainer when I'm finished.

Frank

Well, a little while ago, I did the deed. I turned it all on.

I have had mixed results.

The MIP dimming is working as per advertised with the glare and MCP. My other IBL panels are not.

Switching and the power set-up worked first go and I couldn't ask for a better run there.

On the negative side, I had some foul smell (like wire burning) but couldn't track it down, so I shut it down and will investigate more thoroughly tomorrow.

The glare and MCP lighting looked very impressive.

Frank

I think I've worked out my problem.

The Sismo EDC panel has 5 volt back lighting and I may have over done them. It's where the smell is coming from and it makes sense.

This may just be the first mod that I do to the MIP. I'm considering (after I confirm the problem) taking out the Sismo panel and replacing with my original GDS one.

All shall be revealed in due course........

Frank

Nah, it's nothing I hadn't expected, Iain.

The testing and connection process is painstaking, I know. Then you have the talking to the computer via software nightmare.

When you take on these projects, it doesn't matter how fastidious you are at your work, you are gonna have some wins and losses.

I'm in it for the long haul and it might take me a few weeks to iron out the kinks, but I've started out with solid connections and hardware, so tracking problems should be kept to a minimum.

It's a matter of being methodical and documenting stuff, that way you can correct the mistakes quickly and efficiently.

The MIP is the heart of a good cockpit, so you need to make sure that things are right there before adding anything else to the mix.

Frank

Gonna be taking a few days off, so I'll leave you with a few pics of my almost finished "fake vent" panels. I just need to add the signs to the two knobs.

Here they are:

Posted Image

Posted Image

More coming next week,

Frank

Frank, that A/C ducting looks pretty slick... nice work!

Dean, minus the LCD's, the entire thing (MIP and pedestal) can run off of a single 1200W PSU. The overhead can run off of another PSU (800-1200W depending upon how many after-market gauges you add). Then you just need to add power for your computers and visuals. Theoretically the ENTIRE cockpit's electronics (including the 6 LCD's) can be run off of 1 computer, then you just need the machines for your flightsim and visuals.

Dean,

Dan is right. From a power perspective, I can run my entire MIP (complete with sidewalls and overheads) via two power outlets.

I'm running three PC's for my FSX, Avionics1 (CPT PFD, CPT ND, Upper EICAS and FO's PFD and ND) and Avionics 2 (twin CDU's and lower Eicas).

As well, I have a single 1200watt power supply for my IBL, entire annunciator and glare/MCP strip led's.

Lastly, my Server PC (the one I'm using now) is the heart of the operation and it's running on the other side of the room from another power point.

The thing to be mindful of is the heat generated by the bulbs and annuncuiators. A lot of the ancillary stuff like radio's and even the throttle quadrant are powered USB and single phase power.

Frank

Nice work there Frank. Just keep the lungs away from that carcinogenic MDF dust!

OH I have never used a mask when working on the MDF now I wonder if I have done a very bad thing? I will get a mask before I cut anymore MDF but I didn't know it was a bad thing? Mind you I didn't tend to breath when cutting. Maybe that's why my cough is bad in the morning? I just thought I was cutting a piece of wood! Now I am worried!

Colin

OH I have never used a mask when working on the MDF now I wonder if I have done a very bad thing? I will get a mask before I cut anymore MDF but I didn't know it was a bad thing? Mind you I didn't tend to breath when cutting. Maybe that's why my cough is bad in the morning? I just thought I was cutting a piece of wood! Now I am worried!

Colin

WHY BE CONCERNED ABOUT MDF?

In all fibreboards, formaldehyde resins are used to bond together the

constituent parts. This is usually urea formaldehyde, but some fibreboard

including exterior or marine quality board will use stronger glues such as

phenol formaldehyde.

Even at a low level, exposure to formaldehyde though inhalation can cause

irritation to the eyes, nose, throat and mucous membrane. Formaldehyde can

also affect the skin, leading to dermatitis, and the respiratory system

causing asthma and rhinitis. The International Agency for Research on

Cancer (IARC), part of the World Health Organisation, quoted evidence that

even short term exposure to formaldehyde, at far below the legal limit

allowable in Britain, could cause irritation to the eyes, nose and throat.

The IARC's findings also stated that wood dust is a carcinogen' (cancer

causing) and that 'formaldehyde is probably carcinogenic to humans'. IARC

was also concerned about the reproductive hazards of formaldehyde'.

Formaldehyde is classified in the UK and throughout Europe as a Category 3

Carcinogen. This means it is a substance which "causes concern for humans

owing to possible carcinogenic effects but, in respect of which, available

information is not adequate for making a satisfactory assessment." This

puts formaldehyde on the GPMU list of potential carcinogens, meaning it

should be replaced where possible, and if not, subject to rigorous controls

that reduce exposure to the lowest possible level.

thanks Chumley for that info, Probably too late for me now, I may suffer in the later part of my life for my mistake but I will use a mask from now on, at least that might reduce any damage already done, but I am also a smoker (trying to quit) have been for many years so all I know is I live and learn from mistakes. :)

Its nice to come back to this Forum after a few days, and the first topic I look for is yours Frank. I never cease to be amazed at the ingenuity you show to solve problems and the depths you are going to, to have your concept display as close as possible to the RW thing.

I think without your outlook and dedication a oncept as large and as complex as this one would be doomed to failure.

Keep the pics coming mate, i am enjoying this almost as much as you, without the brain strain of course.

thanks Chumley for that info, Probably too late for me now, I may suffer in the later part of my life for my mistake but I will use a mask from now on, at least that might reduce any damage already done, but I am also a smoker (trying to quit) have been for many years so all I know is I live and learn from mistakes. :)

A smoker - thats why you have a cough in the morning. Try harder to give up. ;)

Thanx for the kind words, John.

Well, I had a few days off because my better half had a milestone Birthday and we had people come and stay from all over Oz (she's a sand groper originally). We had a big birthday bash at our local RSL and 50+ guests enjoyed our food and free booze all night. It was a grand affair and we all had a ball.

But now it;s back to the serious stuff. I have been contemplating my tack for my sidewalls, which are the next stage of the project. I have drawn up my plans and have some materials, but was umming and arring about the final finish.

The walls are to be made from 3mm or 6mm MDF and then glued and sanded and filled, but there are a great number of builders now, who advocate tacking the walls together and then sheeting everything with epoxy and glass sheets.

I was dead against all this, as I've had many years of playing with fibregalss and don't like the mess it makes. however, to attain the strength and finish that I need, there is little choice.

So, my old Qantas engineer mate and myself headed off to a bunch of boat building facilities last week and I bought glass matt, enough epoxy to do the job and a few squee-gee's and verious tools to help along the way.

So, I'll have two separate operations going on. I'll be building the sidewalls in the garage and testing and programming the MIP in the "Flight Deck" room.

I'll get some pics up asap,

Frank

Ok, so I seriously can't believe my luck.

I wanted to fire up the MIP again, so I ran a multi-meter on it to find out the errant problem that I had from the other day.

It turned out that it was a 5 volt wire attached to the controller card for the CPFlight gauges shorting to earth, so I removed it from the rail, checked all of the voltages going to the dimmers and other areas and all seemed alright.

Plugged in the 240 volt and turned on the PSU.

It fired up like a Xmas tree. I do have a few small issues to correct, like pots running the wrong way (should be in the off, when it's in the on), but that should be very easy to change.

Every light and led is operational and the dimming is working 100%. I couldn't have asked for a better result.

Now it's on to the switches and setting up the offsets so that FSX recognises the inputs.

Yahooo!

Frank

The walls are to be made from 3mm or 6mm MDF and then glued and sanded and filled, but there are a great number of builders now, who advocate tacking the walls together and then sheeting everything with epoxy and glass sheets.

I was dead against all this, as I've had many years of playing with fibregalss and don't like the mess it makes. however, to attain the strength and finish that I need, there is little choice.

So, my old Qantas engineer mate and myself headed off to a bunch of boat building facilities last week and I bought glass matt, enough epoxy to do the job and a few squee-gee's and verious tools to help along the way.

Frank

This sounds like fun! Have done some of this myself in the past, and as you say, its never a clean process. I've always used it over ply though. Wonder how MDF will go with the epoxy thrown on it. MDF is known to swell with moisture, but you'll probably be ok with epoxy as it should set well before the MDF can absorb too much of it I would think. Did they sell you the "West" Epoxy system? It's a good one, but its critcal to get the resin/hardener mix accurate or the stuff either never properly cures, or cures too fast and is weak. Definitely keen to see pics of the end result of this step :)

Sorry Guys, this is going to take me a while.

I'm not happy with the dawings and have (literally) gone back to the drawing board. It's because I've added the i=pad to the mix, so I want to tilt it for the best view on the sidewalls.

I have a new set of drawings that I did today, but will probably make a model first or a scale version to check that it all fits properly before comitting to a design.

And Dean, it's two part epoxy resin used in boat building. 2 parts of resin, one part hardener, so it's a no brainer. Have a mate that makes kayaks and he's never had a problem yet.

All the same I went out and bought better breathing apparatus today, too old to be taking chances now.

Will try and get some pics up tomorrow,

Frank

I'm sorry guys, but I think it may be time to step away for a few days.

The long nights and constant thinking of what to do next is taking it's toll and I am struggling a bit at the moment.

I have done a few more drawings for the sidewalls today, but am still not happy.

The car's in for a service tomorrow. When it's done, I think I'll just pack a bag and take off up north for a few days and recharge the batteries.

I've got a great missus who told me "to get lost (jokingly)", she really is the best gal in the world.

So, I'll take a few pics for ya and then I'll be signing off for a few days.

Till tomorrow,

Frank

Archived