8800 GTX wanted

Mal Walker

Hi,

If anyone is upgrading to the new super duper over priced nvidia cards and has an 8800 GTX for sale would you please let me know as I would like to purchase one.

And before anyone jumps up and down I have had permission to ask here. ;D

Smart thinking Mal. My ultra cost a fortune when I got it some time ago but it still hangs in there very well. I don't think the new super duper video cards are really going to make much improvement on the 8800 ultra especially in FPS. And something I discovered just recently about the ultra - try 70 to 80 tbm settings. Very crisp textures and fps just the same. Great card.

Smart thinking Mal. My ultra cost a fortune when I got it some time ago but it still hangs in there very well. I don't think the new super duper video cards are really going to make much improvement on the 8800 ultra especially in FPS. And something I discovered just recently about the ultra - try 70 to 80 tbm settings. Very crisp textures and fps just the same. Great card.

Can't try it until someone sells me one. :D

Mal:  for me no more upgrading until the nehalem CPUs turn up, I guess in Jan or Feb next year.  Then I'll look to see where videocards have got to.  Regrettably my 8800GTX then has at least 4-6 months to go.  But it is a good card and I find it excellent coupled with a quad core CPU.

kman:  tbm is texture bandwidth multiple. What it is exactly I can't define for you, but with my card I can insert a setting into the fsx.cfg file that makes texture processing faster without losing crispness.  Everything is a compromise or a trade-off just like flying.  In flying we trade height for speed, turn rate for power, and so on, and so on.  Our videocard is trying to render 3D with the result that there are many settings we can try to get the optimum.  TBM is one of these.

Hi Rob,

here ya go:

[Display]

ChangeTime=4.000000

TransitionTime=4.000000

InfoBrakesEnable=False

InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True

InfoPauseEnable=True

InfoSlewEnable=True

InfoStallEnable=False

InfoOverspeedEnable=False

ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64

NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64

InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0

InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0

InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255

InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128

InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255

InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.75

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.50

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.75

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.75

BLOOM_EFFECTS=0

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20

WideViewAspect=False

Thats great Uhu.  Rob; NickN at Simviation, one of the gurus, suggests you try around 70-80 TBM to help reduce stutters.

Also put into the bottom of fsx.cfg the bufferpools fix - again a way of helping your CPU compile textures ahead of use.

[bUFFERPOOLS]

Poolsize=8000000

You can play with this.  Some people are using 20million, but if you go too large you will again increase hesitation, and if massive your aircraft textures begin to break-up.  I've never learned how to make screenshots - but I would have liked you to see a Kingair with the wheels on top of the engines!

Well, it so happens that today I updated my Graphics Card from a Gainward GTX 8800 to a Gainward GTX 280. I was about to get ready to advertize the card on EBay. So, if you are interested, send me a email and make me an honest offer. The card is 9 months old and has never been over clocked.

Sorry Mango, I only installed it today. I want to try it on full blast with YMML tomorrow. I mentioned before in the survey that I was not impressed with YMML, that was with the GTX 8800. Well, the proof will be in the pudding tomorrow.

Sorry Mango, I only installed it today. I want to try it on full blast with YMML tomorrow. I mentioned before in the survey that I was not impressed with YMML, that was with the GTX 8800. Well, the proof will be in the pudding tomorrow.

Which survey was that Freddy?

Maurice,

it is a NVidia GTX 8800 by Gainward. Like a GTX 8800 by Leadtek,etc. They all have the NVidia Chip. Actually, Gainward and Leadtek are the leaders in NVidia Graphic Cards. When you update the drivers you get them from NVidia.

Maurice, you have me a bit confused here. If you go to the NVidia site and look at available Gaphic Cards, Nvidia refers you to companys who sell them like BFG,EVGA,XFX, PNY. They are no different from Gainward or Leadtek. Anywy, it doesn't matter to me, I sell all my used computer stuff on EBay. Just sold a LOEWE TV set. Have a look at my reputation if you like. 

That's cool Freddy , it is the generic Cards I am wary of,  I know they use the nVidia Chip Set BUT the quality control of some of the generic companies may not be at the same level as nVidia themselves. That was the point I was trying to make. In no way was I trying to cast doubt on your abilities or integrity.

I may have cost myself more than need be over the years by buying genuine BUT I have NEVER had reliability issues with any PC I've built either for family or paying clients.

Hi Mal

I have one for sale.

I also wanted a second 8800GTX to try in SLI but ended up going to a GTX260 for only $352.00 aussie dollars

it makes the price of a GTX8800 vitually worthless considering what i paid nearly 2 years ago.

If i can get around $200.00 for it i'ii be happy.

i'm in Victoria.

Well Mango, the GTX 280 has blown me away, wow! Now I can fly a chopper over YMML and see it the way it is supposed to be seen. Bit hard to tell eactly how much better the GXT 280 is from the GTX 8800 as I replaced the Dual Core 6600 2.66 Mhz with a Dual Core 8500 3.33 Mhz at the same time. The 280 is really for a wide screen monitor and perfect for my 24" wide screen and the 19" screen beside it.

Well Mango, the GTX 280 has blown me away, wow! Now I can fly a chopper over YMML and see it the way it is supposed to be seen. Bit hard to tell eactly how much better the GXT 280 is from the GTX 8800 as I replaced the Dual Core 6600 2.66 Mhz with a Dual Core 8500 3.33 Mhz at the same time. The 280 is really for a wide screen monitor and perfect for my 24" wide screen and the 19" screen beside it.

That's excellent news ! Thanks Freddy  8).

So if you follow some reviews in the net, it shouldn't do that, right ?  ;D

Whoever does a review uses a computer which may not have the same capabilities that mine has. So I always take reviews with a dose of salt. Since I bought my first computer I have always used ASUS MBs and or Gainward/Leadtek Graphic cards. My Current ASUS Commando MB for Gamers has a Ai Suite, which amongst other things makes over-clocking easier. It also can be set to automatically overclock to give a application more grunt. One of the best MBs I have ever had. I really enjoy flying a chopper over YMML now and trying out my landing,etc techniques on that really fantastic looking airport.  I must admit that I had started to get a bit tired of FS scenery and flying until our Aussie scenery was born. That was a real boost to my flying enthusiasm. 

Hi Freddy,

Can you tell me the driver version you're using for your GTX280?

Thanks,

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

If anyone is upgrading to the new super duper over priced nvidia cards and has an 8800 GTX for sale would you please let me know as I would like to purchase one.

And before anyone jumps up and down I have had permission to ask here. ;D

Interesting article on Toms Hardware...  Looks like the 8800GTX still very much holds it's own in the Video card wars...  I'm really glad as I picked up one as a punt from of the first batches to land in Oz.

Cheers,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-comparison,2007-18.html

Archived