AI traffic opinions please

rockliffe

Hi guys. I am looking at finding a good add on for AI traffic. I would be happy with the FSX default traffic but whenever I try to increase the traffic to a reasonably busy level it hits my performance. I have read that if you have a separate AI traffic add on this is not the case. Is this true or just an urban myth? How good is the World of AI, which is a free download? Or should I spend the dosh and get one of the recognised payware programs? Advice, as always, gratefully received...

the more apps you have running with fsx the more it will hamper performance .... so I have heard

Sure, I hear what you're saying but as I understand it, unless I am mistaken, is that due to the way the AI traffic is modelled it is much more efficient than the default AI aircraft. I would like to hear from someone who can categorically say that this is the case before I part with any cash B)

Hi

I have used Ultimate Traffic (now UT2) since day one and with the UT2 Power package (free) it's just super. Have NOT noticed any significant drop in fps and the airports, also ORBX, look just beautiful with all the traffic and wounderful autentic liveries. Ok, WOAI is freeware but not in the same division as UT2. Have also tested My Traffic X (Aerosoft) but none of them matches UT2.

I have, REX, ASE, FSUIPC, UT2 + some other add-ons ALLWAYS running with my FSX and have NOT noticed ANY drops in fps if I have them shut down or not.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Hi

I have used Ultimate Traffic (now UT2) since day one and with the UT2 Power package (free) it's just super. Have NOT noticed any significant drop in fps and the airports, also ORBX, look just beautiful with all the traffic and wounderful autentic liveries. Ok, WOAI is freeware but not in the same division as UT2. Have also tested My Traffic X (Aerosoft) but none of them matches UT2.

I have, REX, ASE, FSUIPC, UT2 + some other add-ons ALLWAYS running with my FSX and have NOT noticed ANY drops in fps if I have them shut down or not.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Cheers Buddy, that more or less confirms what little info I have.

Another user of UT2 - not tried anything else but pretty happy with it. Installed it, update it now and then but for the most part just forget it's there - bit like REX really. I'm sure there must be some impact on performance as with most add-ons, but I think I have my commercial aircraft set to 100% and GA to 75% - whatever the default is TBH but I certtainly don't think I'm getting the performance hit I would experience if I had turned up the default AI to 100% HTH :)

My traffic 2010,

I have it set at airliner traffic at just 2% and it has no impact on fps but does take longer to load fsx. At just 2% the traffic is perfect, it looks like I am running 50% AI. But I don't use it for GA.

For big airports and flying airliners it makes all the difference. E.g at YMML you often have to hold sort because a Virgin blue or Qantas is coming to land.

Agree with you Bruce

WOAI has caused nothing but trouble for me. Ok it's a freeware BUT, as it has open code a LOT of people make "improvements" to the add-on, so ........

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Another user of UT2 - not tried anything else but pretty happy with it. Installed it, update it now and then but for the most part just forget it's there - bit like REX really. I'm sure there must be some impact on performance as with most add-ons, but I think I have my commercial aircraft set to 100% and GA to 75% - whatever the default is TBH but I certtainly don't think I'm getting the performance hit I would experience if I had turned up the default AI to 100% HTH :)

Ok can agree with you on the fps hit, but, with my rig it hasn't been noticable.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

My traffic 2010,

I have it set at airliner traffic at just 2% and it has no impact on fps but does take longer to load fsx. At just 2% the traffic is perfect, it looks like I am running 50% AI. But I don't use it for GA.

For big airports and flying airliners it makes all the difference. E.g at YMML you often have to hold sort because a Virgin blue or Qantas is coming to land.

Agree with you too. It's well known that the amount of installed aircrafts (AI included) hits the loading time of FSX, but havn't seen it affect the fps.

In UT2 I DO have ALL the sliders set to 100%, but I still have acceptable fps and that with ALL FSX sliders set to MAX.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

In PC-Pilot Nov 2009 issue they have a rewiev of UT2 with a very high ranking. I also remember that PC-Pilot OR Computer Pilot, don't remember wich magazine, tested 4-5 different AI add-ons and UT2 was outstanding. If you give me some time I will try to find the right magazine.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

I have actually just been searching for a nice payware traffic add on today. I have read a lot about the fps hit from the big payware programs and then I found this: My TrafficX - Lite, just what I was looking for. All the major Airlines covering worldwide without having to move your sliders way back. If you want more traffic you can just upgrade at a reduced price. Check it out here: My TrafficX Lite

Cheers

Mike

I have actually just been searching for a nice payware traffic add on today. I have read a lot about the fps hit from the big payware programs and then I found this: My TrafficX - Lite, just what I was looking for. All the major Airlines covering worldwide without having to move your sliders way back. If you want more traffic you can just upgrade at a reduced price. Check it out here: My TrafficX Lite

Cheers

Mike

Mike, maybe you'll report back with some impressions regarding any performance hit? All I really want in an AI package is to add some extra traffic in the skies and around airports. I couldn't give a pig's whiskers where they are going to or coming from. I'm not interested at all that they are not arriving or leaving as per schedule, I simply want to add some extra realism. Above all I don't want to spend the next three weeks trying to learn something, that IMO, should be very straightforward. Crikey, I'm spending enough time learning how to fly the iFLY :)

I am a UT2 user as well. I like that they update flight schedules every season for about $6. This is a great package if you want to fly current real world routes.

Only downside of UT2 is the unwanted formations that are spawned when two companies fly schedules at the same time. When this happens UT2 Spawns 2 or more aircraft close together. I've seen as many as 5 commercial airliners flying too close on the same route. Many airlines fly close schedules to compete with each other on routes so UT2 just spawns those aircraft together. In the real world their would be ATC seperation.

Performance is really good and aircraft models and different liveries is very good as well.

Cheers :D

Only downside of UT2 is the unwanted formations that are spawned when two companies fly schedules at the same time. When this happens UT2 Spawns 2 or more aircraft close together. I've seen as many as 5 commercial airliners flying too close on the same route. Many airlines fly close schedules to compete with each other on routes so UT2 just spawns those aircraft together. In the real world their would be ATC seperation.

Are you sure these are in fact separate flights and not 'code share' flights. While preparing the FTX AU Traffic pack, I had to spend quite some time eliminating 'code share' flights from airline schedules where only one aircraft was used by up to five separate airlines.

Are you sure these are in fact separate flights and not 'code share' flights. While preparing the FTX AU Traffic pack, I had to spend quite some time eliminating 'code share' flights from airline schedules where only one aircraft was used by up to five separate airlines.

Not sure the reasons behind it but they appear to be different airlines. I have the latest schedule now and haven't noticed it lately. When I first ran UT2 I did see up to 5 airliners grouped together over the UK, but usually you would just see 2 or 3 at times.

I don't get into the reasons why as I am just an end user and these are my observance from using the software. If this issue has been sorted with the latest scheduling that would be cool. Lately I have been using the latest schedule and mostly flying in Australia with the JS4100 so this is an area that doesn't have the same congestion as over Europe or USA. Most likely this is the reason why I haven't seen it for a while.

It would make sense if it was codeshare airlines as the software would spawn up to 5 aircraft for one route, their could be that many in a codeshare over Europe. It is annoying to see it when it happens.

I can't say about UT2 but MTX Lite has almost no impact. I have found a good link on Avsim where they discuss UT2 vs. MTX. MTX Lite is very easy to use: install and then forget about and it is only € 22.

Here is the link: Avsim

Cheers

Mike

I can't say about UT2 but MTX Lite has almost no impact. I have found a good link on Avsim where they discuss UT2 vs. MTX. MTX Lite is very easy to use: install and then forget about and it is only € 22.

Cheers

Mike

Being easy to use and forget about it is a big + for me, not to mention the price! Cheers Mike...

Cheers

Mike

What's the actual visual quality of the AI traffic Mike!? Also does anyone have any opinions of the freeware WOAI?

What's the actual visual quality of the AI traffic Mike!? Also does anyone have any opinions of the freeware WOAI?

Personally I'm a big fan of WOAI. Yes, you have to convert the FS9 bgl's to FSX bgl's but this is very quick and easy to do. I find the packages easy to install plus they give me the flexibility to have what I want. Being a bit of a twiddler and tweaker, I enjoy adding airlines, updating the flightplans, installing liveries etc - perverse, I know B)

The aircraft look good enough to me, there are GA and military options available, especially if you get hooked and start adding in the MAIW packages as well. And the price is right - spend the extra bucks on another ORBX airport or 2 :P

Jack

Personally I'm a big fan of WOAI. Yes, you have to convert the FS9 bgl's to FSX bgl's but this is very quick and easy to do. I find the packages easy to install plus they give me the flexibility to have what I want. Being a bit of a twiddler and tweaker, I enjoy adding airlines, updating the flightplans, installing liveries etc - perverse, I know B)

The aircraft look good enough to me, there are GA and military options available, especially if you get hooked and start adding in the MAIW packages as well. And the price is right - spend the extra bucks on another ORBX airport or 2 :P

Jack

I think I will give WOAI a try and see if it gives me anything, if not then nothing lost! EDIT: Sheesh, I thought that was going to be easy.... :-\ I've just been on the website and me thinks.... why can't things just be simple? I cannot understand why there is not a simple utility that works very easily like the Orbx AI add on. That is superb. IMO it shouldn't be any more difficult than that, surely? Anyway, at the moment I think I will take Mike's advice and look at MyTraffic X Lite. Is there anyone else with some experience of this. I have a concern and that is, I am a bit of a perfectionist, a pain in the arse some might say... so I will be really peed off if I sit on the apron surrounded by a load of aircraft that has crappy textures. What is your opinion on this aspect of the add on Mike?

I have used WOAI untill now and it works OK when you think it is free. It takes a while to get started because you have to read how to use it but then it is easy to use BUT. You have to download and install each and airline one by one. Then you need the program to convert the fs9 traffic files to FSX. And then the reason why I am changing to MTX Lite: You can't have shadows activated, that will make all your AI invinsible....

About best textures: MTX is better or the same as WOAI. UT2 has the far best textures if you read the thread on Avsim and google around. So it is a tough decision. Apples or oranges, you can't have them both.B)

Cheers

Mike

I have used WOAI untill now and it works OK when you think it is free. It takes a while to get started because you have to read how to use it but then it is easy to use BUT. You have to download and install each and airline one by one. Then you need the program to convert the fs9 traffic files to FSX. And then the reason why I am changing to MTX Lite: You can't have shadows activated, that will make all your AI invinsible....

Cheers

Mike

OK I think I need to follow your lead. So forgive me, but are you saying you have got MTX lite or you are about to get it?

OK I think I need to follow your lead. So forgive me, but are you saying you have got MTX lite or you are about to get it?

Sorry if I did not clarify this Howard. I have just bought MTX Lite but not yet installed it. ( Backing up all my WOAI files )

Also see my updated previous post.

Cheers

Mike

Sorry if I did not clarify this Howard. I have just bought MTX Lite but not yet installed it. ( Backing up all my WOAI files )

Also see my updated previous post.

Cheers

Mike

Mmmm, like you said, apples or oranges...

Hi Howard

I have been watching this post since you started it. Personally I will only use FSX with DX10 running, I know there are a few glitches there but they are very easy to live with. Since I use DX10 all my AI has to be compatible, UT2 does a very good job with little impact especially since it dosnt use a bgl file. I have bought a lot of good quality payware GA planes and like to see them used in the AI. As you can imagine this would cripple any machine and its frame rates so to combat this I use UT2 for all the liners and then a small freeware program that has been mentioned here before FSX GA-Traffic. Although this software can be finnicky when you first start to use it I find it exceptional when fully programmed in. You can use the program to make fully compatible AI craft with lower res so that your frame rates stay good. I have models of all my payware GA ploanes and Helos that FSX GA-Traffic has made running with all there associated repaints I use, by the way the only software I use for the helos once I have made the AI models for them is Heli Traffic 2009. There is a bit of work to get all your Ai models made this way but I personally cannot see any other way after you have spent good money on planes you like and then not be able to see them flying, its an immoressive site landing at any field and seeing full of high quality GA craft.I hope this gives you some ideas.

Ken ;)

Hi Howard

I have been watching this post since you started it. Personally I will only use FSX with DX10 running, I know there are a few glitches there but they are very easy to live with. Since I use DX10 all my AI has to be compatible, UT2 does a very good job with little impact especially since it dosnt use a bgl file. I have bought a lot of good quality payware GA planes and like to see them used in the AI. As you can imagine this would cripple any machine and its frame rates so to combat this I use UT2 for all the liners and then a small freeware program that has been mentioned here before FSX GA-Traffic. Although this software can be finnicky when you first start to use it I find it exceptional when fully programmed in. You can use the program to make fully compatible AI craft with lower res so that your frame rates stay good. I have models of all my payware GA ploanes and Helos that FSX GA-Traffic has made running with all there associated repaints I use, by the way the only software I use for the helos once I have made the AI models for them is Heli Traffic 2009. There is a bit of work to get all your Ai models made this way but I personally cannot see any other way after you have spent good money on planes you like and then not be able to see them flying, its an immoressive site landing at any field and seeing full of high quality GA craft.I hope this gives you some ideas.

Ken ;)

Cheers Ken, that is very helpful. Particularly interesting is that I see flight 1 does a demo version, which I cannot find for the MTX lite. So to be able to try it first is a big incentive. I don't want to spend any money, no matter how little, if I end up with something that is over complicated, has aircraft with crappy textures or has a hit on performance. So it seems I will be first going to get the UT2 demo version. However, I have just got myself FS2 crew, Alicante airport and pre-purchase on the CNRM! So I will have to wait a while before ordering the full version I think. That's cool though as it gives me time to research and make a calculated decision. ;)

I use the latest My Traffic with WOAI converted to FSX format to "fill in the gaps" works very well for me

How do you like the MTX in general? and how about the aircraft shadows problem with WOAI?

Cheers

Mike

How do you like the MTX in general? and how about the aircraft shadows problem with WOAI?

Cheers

Mike

Actually I as not aware of that problem as I don't enable shadows! I like MTx, but, like all commercial packages they cannot cover very airline. WOAI are very good es[pecilly for smaller operators such as Fedex feeder lines

UT2 is awesome, I find it easy on the fps, plus the ai have flight plans and follow real world schedules if you keep it updated, and don't forget the 30 day flight1 refund if your not happy.

Archived