FTX AI - First pics

Where's the GA stuff at smaller airports??

Cheers

Pat

C'mon Pat, there are 10,000 GA aircraft registered in Australia - you really think it's feasible to do a project where we interview each pilot and anticipate each of those aircraft's movements? AI is all about the synthetic representation of known flight schedules, and trying to do a GA pack would take a decade, and even then the liveries would be out of date each year you release an update (if you even get around to doing 10,000 repaints).

Reality check: GA AI done right is not possible. Which is why VOZ AI 1.2 for FS9 and FTX AI for FSX only focuses on the commercial airlines with predictable published schedules.

Looking good john. I myself know myself how long one plane takes to paint as i can do them myelf so to paint each and every ga aircraft would definately not be feasible. Let alone work out some sort of flight plan to make them active.

Shane

C'mon Pat, there are 10,000 GA aircraft registered in Australia - you really think it's feasible to do a project where we interview each pilot and anticipate each of those aircraft's movements? AI is all about the synthetic representation of known flight schedules, and trying to do a GA pack would take a decade, and even then the liveries would be out of date each year you release an update (if you even get around to doing 10,000 repaints).

Reality check: GA AI done right is not possible. Which is why VOZ AI 1.2 for FS9 and FTX AI for FSX only focuses on the commercial airlines with predictable published schedules.

Good enough for me cob...  BTW, there was a GA application for FS2004 that populated GA type fields with GA aircraft from ones own library and could be customised quite extensively...  I only wish I could remember the name.  I'm sure it had the letters GA in the title.  Maybe that or a newer version of it could be utilised to populate the smaller fields.  I do remember it sat very comfortably alongside the larger payware AI application I used to run at the time.

Cheers and thanks for the screenies John, looking forward to that one as well...

I Understand perfectly that realistic GA AI would be impossible but what I and I think others who fly GA in Rural areas would love is a unrealistic level of GA traffic.  I have not seen a program yet that you can for example add 10 - 20 GA aircraft to fly between lets say 5 Airports in a 200 mile radius.  Sure it may not be realistic but its a lot more fun than that one 172 you see all day long!

Roy

Good enough for me cob...  BTW, there was a GA application for FS2004 that populated GA type fields with GA aircraft from ones own library and could be customised quite extensively...  I only wish I could remember the name.  I'm sure it had the letters GA in the title.  Maybe that or a newer version of it could be utilised to populate the smaller fields.  I do remember it sat very comfortably alongside the larger payware AI application I used to run at the time.

Cheers and thanks for the screenies John, looking forward to that one as well...

Correct and i cant remember the name either, but if it creates the flightplans in txt format then they can be converted to FSX. Will have a look when i have a chance

I Understand perfectly that realistic GA AI would be impossible but what I and I think others who fly GA in Rural areas would love is a unrealistic level of GA traffic.  I have not seen a program yet that you can for example add 10 - 20 GA aircraft to fly between lets say 5 Airports in a 200 mile radius.  Sure it may not be realistic but its a lot more fun than that one 172 you see all day long!

Roy

Agreed; furthermore I don't give a rat's ass if the traffic of the upcoming freeware expansion pack is doing exactly what it does in real life. For me the illusion of being at an airport with traffic moving is enough, although I like big airlines to be painted properly and I would like to see only the airlines that fly in Australia in real life. By the looks of the teaser shots above there won't be any disappointment for me  :)

I currently use Mytraffic and it was a thrill to visit YSSY the other day and taxi around the field with moving airliners all around. I didn't go check their flightnumbers and arrival/departure times though, not my cup of tea. The creators of Mytraffic and also the creators of Traffic 2005 added (marginal) GA traffic in their traffic products as well and I'm very disappointed to find out Orbx is not doing GA traffic in their upcoming freeware package.

I understand it would be a lot of work to program this for a large amount of small fields. But then again, a small number of GA paints would suffice and I wouldn't need all GA aircraft flying in Australia doing exactly in the sim what they do in real life. Think of it this way; all these gorgeous small freeware GA fields would come to life if there was occasional movement. The producers of the Netherlands scenery (www.nl-2000.com) offer GA, military and helicopter traffic included in their scenery, some of it only touch and go. Ofcourse that is a lot less traffic to worry about compared to a large country like Australia  :)

And that program Chris was talking about; wasn't that simply called 'GA Traffic'?

And that program Chris was talking about; wasn't that simply called 'GA Traffic'?

Yes indeed, that was the one  ;D  Anyone know if it will work with FSX?

Cheers and thanks,

As Mal said, he has a GA traffic addon in the works, it's just not ready for release right now, and will take some time to get done. Please tone down the demanding nature of the posts here, because you need to remember this is freeware and done by Mal and his repainting team in their spare time, which I am sure we all appreciate and are grateful for?

Agreed; furthermore I don't give a rat's ass if the traffic of the upcoming freeware expansion pack is doing exactly what it does in real life. For me the illusion of being at an airport with traffic moving is enough, although I like big airlines to be painted properly and I would like to see only the airlines that fly in Australia in real life. By the looks of the teaser shots above there won't be any disappointment for me  :)

There are currently in this package,

50-Australian Airlines and smaller commuters,

9-Australian Cargo Airlines

13-New Zealand Airlines

24-Oceania Airlines not including New Zealand

31-International Airlines that fly into Australia

10-International Cargo Airlines that fly into Australia. ;D

OK here's the FSX version of the GA traffic generation tool by Markus Brunner:

http://www.mstrain.org/fs2000/addons/fsxgarc2.zip

Blurb:

"FSX GA-Traffic second release candidate. GA-Traffic is the first fully automatic general aviation (GA) traffic generator, now for FSX. Features: Generate GA traffic for every installed airport of the whole FSX world at once; Fully automatic detection of installed planes and airports; Simulate different GA traffic behavior; 'Virtual landing fees' unique algorithm to avoid GA traffic generation on busy commercial airports; Amphibian planes used only near seaports; Amount of plane usage selectable for every livery; Different plane usage (taxi, business, rental, student, club and private) selectable for every livery; Unique 'Make AI' function to reduce the texture size of add-on planes to hold the frames per second up.; Proofed aircraft files for correct AI flying behavior; Integrated TrafficTools from Lee Swordy, no need to manual generate the traffic files. By Markus Brunner 6,5 Mb"

This looks to me like it will generate GA traffic for all the smaller airports, so have fun with this!

Brilliant, thanks so much John it's much appreciated.  I'm sure it will do more than adequately until Mal produces his version.

Apologies if anything I said above gave the impression that undue demands were being placed upon your team.

Cheers,

Re GA traffic. Hi Folks, i played around with this for a while, its not a bad tool, as long as you do the initial set up right...If not you'll find it trying to compile traffic for all the airports in your system.....

Not a bad tool though.

Cheers

MC

G'day all  - I saw that link for FSX GA traffic that John gave and I thought my hopes had been answered so I downloaded it but got no joy. Still couldnt find a GA airplane at rural airports and not even at Bankstown.

Anyone have any luck with it ? I would really like to see some traffic or planes around airports other than the big guys.

........Laurie

G'day all  - I saw that link for FSX GA traffic that John gave and I thought my hopes had been answered so I downloaded it but got no joy. Still couldnt find a GA airplane at rural airports and not even at Bankstown.

Anyone have any luck with it ? I would really like to see some traffic or planes around airports other than the big guys.

........Laurie

I've just installed it and it works fine fo me.  Don't forget to select the "Create Flightplans" button.

Cheers,

Dave, not a huge amount to say except that the application is as complex or as simple as you want to make it.

You can take the default setup as is or customise every airfield or aircraft type you have in your library.  GA Traffic uses the aircraft you have in your FSX library (you can limit the aircraft types it uses by limiting the weight of aircraft or alternatively "turn off" individual aircraft from a menu).  It's too simple.

You can also control the amount of GA traffic you have by restricting the number of parking space the application can use as a percentage of the total number of parking slots available.

I'll post some screenies as soon as I get a chance.

Give it a go mate, it's seems pretty safe.  I previously used the FS2004 version extensively.

Cheers,

Please tone down the demanding nature of the posts here, because you need to remember this is freeware and done by Mal and his repainting team in their spare time, which I am sure we all appreciate and are grateful for?

Demanding? As far as I can see only a few questions were asked where the GA traffic was. In my opinion even Pat's question was not a demand, but indeed a simple question which you answered in a rather patronizing manner. Could you please tone that down too? Considering my own post it was meant suggestive. Please point out where I made my demand; it wasn't intended to be like that.

Like everyone here I highly appreciate the work all you guys are doing in your spare time; you make my simming experience the best it can be and I thank you for that. But it is your own free choice to spend all that spare time. Remarks like yours make me feel us users are only allowed to praise and not criticize or ask as well.

Thanks for the link to GA Traffic. I'll give it a go. And indeed great news Mal is also working on a GA pack. Looking forward to that  :)

A question for Mal,

Is/will there be any conflicts if I already have MyTrafficX installed?

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, it will conflict with any other AI programs, but,

all of the FTX AI carriers have been compiled seperately which means once you install FTX AI you have the option of removing any of them by deleting the relevant traffic.bgl file, ex:if you wanted to keep your United Airlines AI from elsewhere then you would delete trafficFTXUnitedAirlines.bgl from the sim. ;D

Thanks for all your hard work!

One question:

Do the traffic bgls from the international airlines cover their complete network or only their australian flights?

(This issue is essential for which bgls to keep from those airlines, my WOAI files or the FTX AI files).

Thanks for all your hard work!

One question:

Do the traffic bgls from the international airlines cover their complete network or only their australian flights?

(This issue is essential for which bgls to keep from those airlines, my WOAI files or the FTX AI files).

All Australian, New Zealand and Oceania plans are complete, International have their schedules culled.

So then how would an airline like american fly to and from australian airprts if their services are terminated? Do they just stay static at the airports?

One would assume that by using the term "culled", Mal intends that only the relevant routes/schedules are being used, those being the ones into and out of Oz, and the rest are shall we say, "culled".  :D  ...that's if you were referring to Mal's reply immediately above, if not, please ignore.

Cheers,

Archived