• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys this is deadly serious. It has gone to Cat 5

TOP PRIORITY

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 11

Issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, Brisbane

Issued at 5:01am EST on Wednesday the 2nd of February 2011

A Cyclone WARNING is current for island and coastal areas from Cape Melville and

Sarina, extending inland to Croydon and Hughenden.

A Cyclone WATCH is current for coastal areas from the remaining tropical

interior east of Camooweal and north of Winton.

At 4:00 am EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 5 was estimated to be

650 kilometres east northeast of Cairns and 650 kilometres northeast of

Townsville moving west southwest at 30 kilometres per hour.

SEVERE TC YASI IS A LARGE AND VERY POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES AN

EXTREMELY SERIOUS THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY WITHIN THE WARNING AREA,

ESPECIALLY BETWEEN PORT DOUGLAS AND TOWNSVILLE.

THIS IMPACT IS LIKELY TO BE MORE LIFE THREATENING THAN ANY EXPERIENCED DURING

RECENT GENERATIONS.

The Cyclone has now reached CATEGORY 5 and will continue to move in a

west-southwesterly direction during today.

Coastal residents within the warning, and particularly between Port Douglas and

Townsville are specifically warned of an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS sea level rise

[i.e. storm tide] as the cyclone approaches and crosses the coast. The sea is

likely to steadily rise up to a level which will be VERY DANGEROUSLY above the

normal tide, with EXTREMELY DAMAGING WAVES, strong currents and flooding of

low-lying areas extending some way inland. People living in areas likely to be

affected by this flooding should take measures to protect their property as much

as possible, and be prepared to follow instructions regarding evacuation of the

area if advised to do so by authorities.

DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 90 km/hr are expected to develop on coastal islands

later this morning, then extend onto the coast during the day, and further

inland across the northern tropical interior overnight.

Between Cooktown and Ingham these winds will become DESTRUCTIVE with gusts in

excess of 125km/hr during the afternoon and VERY DESTRUCTIVE with gusts above

280 km/hr between Port Douglas and Cardwell during the evening as the cyclone

approaches. These VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds can also occur on the seaward side of

hills to the north of the cyclone and are also forecast to reach the Atherton

Tablelands.

FLOODING RAINS will develop from Cooktown to Sarina during the afternoon and

then extend inland overnight.

People between Cape Melville and Sarina, extending inland to Croydon and

Hughenden should complete preparations quickly and be prepared to shelter in a

safe place.

- Boats and outside property should be secured.

- For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster

Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au]

- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [sES] on

132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on

buildings or roof damage].

People about the remaining tropical interior east of Camooweal and north of

Winton should consider what action they will need to take if the cyclone threat

increases.

- Information is available from your local government

- For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster

Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au]

- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [sES] on

132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on

buildings or roof damage].

Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi at 4:00 am EST:

.Centre located near...... 15.7 degrees South 151.7 degrees East

.Location accuracy........ within 20 kilometres

.Recent movement.......... towards the west southwest at 30 kilometres per hour

.Wind gusts near centre... 295 kilometres per hour

.Severity category........ 5

.Central pressure......... 924 hectoPascals

Wedge:  the media is sure playing the situation for all its worth.

But they didn't invent that satellite image.  A massive swirling torrential rainfall system, which has now been raised by the Bureau of Meteorology to a Category 4, with winds to 260k and a predicted tidal surge of 2.7mtrs.

Let the talking heads fill the airwaves, but don't let them stop you from taking a hard look at the situation.  Get organised and safe and I'll join you in the Mena for a beer after its all over.  And there will be floods to follow as the rain moves inland.  It ain't nice.

I'm a thousand clicks away, and it still scares the sh.t out of me.

I think I misled people...  I am crapping myself, but the media is not helping to keep people remain focussed on staying safe, but inducing more fear and perhaps panic.  Hope the Mena is still standing after this.  It'll be in a flourish with all of the new visitors!  ;) 

Good luck guys, see you soonish.

And Cathy, every time I look at the weather map, I realise just what a monster this thing is.  Qantas have flown their last flights out so we are told on the news, but of course we can all follow it on live streaming nowadays.  ABC News 24 can be got through iView.

But if there is a storm surge then much of Cairns and maybe the airport will go under.  The professional boat people will have their vessels deep in the mangroves to allow the forest to absorb most of the energy of the waves.

I also recall hearing that Qantas was in the process of evacuating there staff.

What a summer.

My friend Helene Young (QANTASLINK Senior Captain) lives in CS and is staying. She did post last night and said that verything was deathly calm, no birds, bees, or flying foxes in her backyard. She will try to blog as long as she can. I don't know what QANTAS has done with all of thier planes (Q400's based at CS). Some of the larger GA planes won't be able to use Mareeba, it is not that large. If you have some spare money, now might be aa good time to invest in Gopher Wood futures! :)

rooting for ya fella's down there, stay safe !

Walter, I don't quite know how to put this, but "rooting" in an Australian context has, shall we say certain connotations of Congress, and I do not mean the US legislative body ;D

Well, preps are done, I will have 10 people at my bunker by lunchtime, my parents and mother-in-law, all the kids and my eldest daughters boyfriend.  I don't usually worry about these events, but this one feels different, the mood in the city is tense to say the least, I think I am now officially sh*tting myself.  Power is cut off as the cyclone approaches as a matter of safety, but I'll keep online as long as I can.  To tell you how concerned I am, I have even packed up the FSX PC and plasticated it up in a storeroom.  ;)

rooting for ya fella's down there, stay safe !

Walter, I don't quite know how to put this, but "rooting" in an Australian context has, shall we say certain connotations of Congress, and I do not mean the US legislative body ;D

I learned this the hard way as well eh Cathy? Lol

But seriously though, take care all of you in the path of this monster!

Well, preps are done, I will have 10 people at my bunker by lunchtime, my parents and mother-in-law, all the kids and my eldest daughters boyfriend.  I don't usually worry about these events, but this one feels different, the mood in the city is tense to say the least, I think I am now officially sh*tting myself.  Power is cut off as the cyclone approaches as a matter of safety, but I'll keep online as long as I can.  To tell you how concerned I am, I have even packed up the FSX PC and plasticated it up in a storeroom.  ;)

Dale  good luck  to you  and your family  and all  people  up  North.  Cheers  Greg 8)

Oh joy.  Not that it makes much difference but it looks to be cooking directly to Mena now.  We are leaving our house for the safety of a newer building.  Haven't touched the pc yet...  Where are those garbage bags?  I need to wrap it.

Best of luck Dale, and thanks Wolter...  We need as much rooting as we can get!!  But who doesn't, right?

;D

BOM observation station at Willis Island has been knocked out of operation

The scary thing about that is BOM builds those things to withstand more than a Cat 5 can throw at it.  Now I'm off to secure my supply of emergency cyclone beer rations.

A graphic example of 240 km/h winds.

And to think 300km/h winds are expected from TC Yasi.

Wow! I am a self admited storm lover, I love watching the power of mother nature. But when people you know or associate with IE this forum, are affected by it, it really becomes less of an impressive site to behold. I just hope that all goes well down there and no one suffers any losses. I think I speak for most if not all the ORBX community when I say we'll be watching and hoping that everything goes okay for all our Aussie friends during this event.

Someone else pointed out here erlier "What did we ausies do to deserve this?" After all the floods and fires last year, I coulden't agree more. Take care guys.

Storm chasers live streaming video broadcasting from Ingham.

http://www.swxc.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=15

I'm not sure where this is in relation to Cairns, but it is sure looking rough! Some of the comments on the chat window are just awfull though. Just seems to be a joke to some of them. Pretty sad.

I'm not sure where this is in relation to Cairns, but it is sure looking rough! Some of the comments on the chat window are just awfull though. Just seems to be a joke to some of them. Pretty sad.

Hey Ricky that's just Aussie humor, we make light of everything :) (it beats complaining anyway)

Hey Ricky that's just Aussie humor, we make light of everything :)

I hear ya! What else can you do in a situation like that eh?

Wow! I am a self admited storm lover, I love watching the power of mother nature. But when people you know or associate with IE this forum, are affected by it, it really becomes less of an impressive site to behold. I just hope that all goes well down there and no one suffers any losses. I think I speak for most if not all the ORBX community when I say we'll be watching and hoping that everything goes okay for all our Aussie friends during this event.

Someone else pointed out here erlier "What did we ausies do to deserve this?" After all the floods and fires last year, I coulden't agree more. Take care guys.

It's a terrifying example of the destructive power of nature. Imagine those winds in the video at their peak, add on another 60 km/h and sustain that wind velocity for over three hours and you'll get an idea of what TC Yasi could potentially be like.

It's a terrifying example of the destructive power of nature. Imagine those winds in the video at their peak, add on another 60 km/h and sustain that wind velocity for over three hours and you'll get an idea of what TC Yasi could potentially be like.

Oh yes indeed. We here in Vancouver have been known to get some pretty wiked windstorms. The strongest wind I have felt is 110 KPH sustaind. I can only imagine what kind of force the winds there are producing!

...can't wait.....  ::)  ;)

Although having been through Winifred, Joy and Larry (all big ones) it is very easy to get complacent.  I am having a beer on the patio with my father right now with the wind and rain picking up quite noticeably.

Hows it looking there Dale? I hope you have everything boarded up and straped down! What are the latest reports for Cairns?

Although having been through Winifred, Joy and Larry (all big ones) it is very easy to get complacent.  I am having a beer on the patio with my father right now with the wind and rain picking up quite noticeably.

Good luck!

From the BOM's latest update it looks like Cairns will miss out on Very Destructive Winds. You'll just be getting Destructive Winds.  :P

Posted Image

She has tracked a little to the south now, heading for landfall between Innisfail and Cardwell at about 10 or 11pm tonight, so it looks like we have dodged the very destructive core at this stage.  I feel sorry for Wedge at Mena Creek and all those poor souls who lived through Cyclone Larry a few years ago around that area, it looks like they are going to get hammered by mother nature yet again.

It is a little eerie here at the moment, some good wind gusts and some squalls of rain but it is very quiet and you could almost say the old 'calm before the storm' feeling.

This is interesting from the ABC site:

Posted Image

Jeesh. Stronger than Katrina eh? Thats going to a strong surge ahead of it.

Maybe "stronger" but it is absolutely minuscule in size by comparison.  The storm surge hit a much wider area than what Yasi will affect with its surge.

Thankfully Cairns is escaping the direct hit.  You always hate to think about the fatalities when a big storm hits a big city. :(

Stay safe guys!!!

Archived