AA problem GPU profile wanted

TenBlade

Can´t get any decent AA.

Been setting up graphics with nVidia Inspector. Found sort of a How To half way down @ http://forum.avsim.net/topic/291720-how-to-set-aa-in-fs9-and-fsx-for-nvidias-2xxxx-drivers-now-with-working-transparency-aa/page__st__25 

But the AA_MODE_METHOD_MIXEDSAMPLE_8X referenced is not available in the menu, only x6. The very brief tutorial skips a lot of settings.

Anyone knows of a more thorough tutorial?

Bjorn

Thanks a lot, Wolter! To add to this, there´s a recommended setting in nVidia control panel that´s supposed to go with this, it´s in the link I posted above. But I don´t know if that´s really necessary.

Haven´t had the chance to test it yet, though. Been busy today.

After I´ve entered the settings, will Inspector automatically apply them when I start up FSX? Have you found an auto-startup-thingy for Inspector?

B

Thanks Wolter,

I found it had automatically installed on the desktop, cunningly disguised as a shortcut, which when deleted uninstalled the program.

Just for info, even though my two GTX460's were giving me a good clear picture, and operating smoothly, I installed 'Inspector' just to have a fiddle. I found after using all the recommended settings I could find over a three day try out, that the normal nVidia Control Panel with minimum deviations from default settings was much better than the Inspector setup on my machine.

Not being critical in any way, just that I couldn't get the smooth flow and clear picture using Inspector, which probably means there is more homework to be done before trying it again.  ;)

+ 1 for me too! those are just the settings I needed! The trees no longer shimmer and the the tower, not the control tower, at ymml no longer looks like an aberration. Great! no I can get on with flying.

Thanks Wolter!

+1 - yes nInspector is a great tool.

jja

hi guys, i am currently using nhancer, and use 4*4 supersampling aa on fsx. it provides smooth graphic and very low shimmer but my fps drops dramatically :(

do you have any fps problem with that utility?  should i uninstall nhancer and install inspector for your opinions?

my system rig:

gtx 260 core 216 graphics card

amd x4 630 2.6~3.3 ghz cpu

kingston 2*2 ddr2 ram

500 gb hdd

Don´t think that´ll do one bit of difference.

You should upgrade your hardware. Memory, processor, (motherboard?), extra harddrive, gpu, in that order I´d say. Start with another stick of ram. Then there´s fsx.cfg-tweaks, are you using any? And frame rate limiter?

But switching to Inspector will not hurt, if you want to try it. I find it a little less userfriendly than nHancer, though.

Bjorn

Don´t think that´ll do one bit of difference.

You should upgrade your hardware. Memory, processor, (motherboard?), extra harddrive, gpu, in that order I´d say. Start with another stick of ram. Then there´s fsx.cfg-tweaks, are you using any? And frame rate limiter?

But switching to Inspector will not hurt, if you want to try it. I find it a little less userfriendly than nHancer, though.

Bjorn

If you have smooth graphics why worry about the FPS? I have an i7 920 and Nvidia 295 and get excellent performance and smooth graphics and that is low level at YMML without over-clocking and all the sliders to the right - Wolter's settings from above - no shadows - unlimited frames. At Ymml the FPS get to 12-19 but is still smooth - that is all I worry about. The only CFG changes I have is affinity mask 14 and usepools=0.

With regards to tweaks all systems are different, and some need 10 tweaks some need one. Smooth experience is paramount, yes, but I must admit, I interpreted guerra´s issue as stuttering. So, if your flights indeed are smooth, guerra, forgive me, you may not have to change a thing (unless you´re never satisfied like me, and always spend too much time chasing better and better performance ::)).

B

Wolter

This is an excellent guide - a couple of points.

Anything that you set in the nvidia control panel for FSX (and global) (Windows 7) is automatically reflected in nVidia Inspector.

So if you set 16AF in the nvidia control panel it will be set the same in nvidia Inspector.

To avoid any possible conflicts I would try to set exactly the same settings in the nvidia control panel and in nvidia inspector.

The "new" NV control panel now works well and for many simmers you may not need nvidia inspector as well. 

This does not apply to complex multi-monitor, SLI systems, or for overclocking or for games other than FSX. 

I have a single monitor +GTX 460) and setting my parameters via the NV CP is no different to using the NV Inspector in terms of image quality in FSX.

I notice that you recommend for AA mode "Enhance the application setting" with I presume AA ticked in FSX, for my system using NickN's setting "override any application setting" with NO AA ticked in FSX seems to give a slightly better result.

Thanks again this is a very useful sticky :D

Regards

PeterH

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your kind words :)

the only "advantage" that the nVidia Inspector has is that you can use some more elaborate settings than with the nVidia Control panel wich has some limitations with nVidia Inspector are more extended options something in the line of nHancer wich doesn't wanna play ball with the latest nVidia drivers, hence this is a good alternative and alltough we all strive to get things done with the same or identical settings it still varies from system to system. ;D

Hi Wolter

I guess what I should have said is that if you you use the basic settings in the nvidia control panel there is no point in using nvidia Inspector as exactly the same settings are applied in both. Why introduce another overhead?

I can now confirm that if you set a setting in the "default" NV control panel but do NOT apply it in the Inspector it is still applied to FSX, so that could be a potential for conflict if you have the more advanced settings in the Inspector dependant on those basic settings! 

Interesting times! ;)

Regards

PeterH

• 2 months later...
  • 10 years later...
On 10/4/2010 at 12:56 PM, Hotspot said:

Serious Question - How do I uninstall nVidia Inspector? Can't find it in the Programs Menu or the Control Panel Programs and Features. ???

Look for NVIDIA Inspector 1.95.9 in the list, click on it and then click Uninstall to initiate the uninstallation. or find uninstall.exe or unins000.exe.

18 minutes ago, kevin123 said:

Look for NVIDIA Inspector 1.95.9 in the list, click on it and then click Uninstall to initiate the uninstallation. or find uninstall.exe or unins000.exe.

10 years later someone will get help, eventually. 

Archived