RIP Thatch

teecee

For those who didn't know Thatch, he was a true pioneer of Aussie FS scenery and a real gentleman. If you search on his name at Avsim or Flightsim you will find upwards of 60 uploads dating back to early 2002. Ian was very active with the earlier, now mostly defunct, Aussie Flighsim sites and a regular contributor of scenery plus repaints etc. Ian was also well regarded by all for his friendliness and willingness to share his vast knowledge. Lately he has concentrated on seagoing craft rather than aircraft. He will be missed by many.

Vale Ian!

Fly high and free mate!

Tony 

Ian was a true pioneer in the Australian FS movement. I would be surprised if there was any Australian flightsimmer going back 10 years who did'nt know of Ian. I received lot's of help from him in the days of "Virtualvfvr Website" which I believe was the precursor to the Orbx website and indeed FTX. He was a strong supporter of Australian and Pacific Landclass development and together with the Mesh of Andy Weir brought all the incarnations of MS Flightsim to new levels. He was wheelchair bound even in those days and had immense support from his spouse (forgive me please, as I do not recall her name and I do not recall the exact nature of his illness). I believe that by use of computers and internet, Ian was able to gain a great deal of pleasure from ths community even though he was wheelchair bound. Body may have been weak but his mind was sharp as a tack. I do not know the circumstances of his passing, however I am immensly saddened and hope that it was diginified as he deserved. For family and friends my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Dan McKee

Sad news indeed - we were all priveleged to associate with Ian since the earliest FS days of sharing freeware, and he was always ready to extend the hand of friendship and assistance.  My recently left FS9 installation still contains a lot of his Tasmanian and Oceania contributions.  My new FSX installation still uses his PNG and other island landclasses, originally designed for FS2002 and yet to be bettered.  Vale mate.

Archived