This Week's Meaningless Topic (#139)(May 5)

Hi all. Doug's post ("Older Than Dirt") has sent me off on a nostalgia trip. That list lit up a lot of good-memory lights, and I thank Doug for it. Others seem to have had a similar reaction, and that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Tell us about the following--

1. Your first pet.

2. Your first bicycle.

3. Your first girlfriend.

4. Your first real skill as a kid.

5. Your first hero (real or fictional).

6. Your favorite candy bar as a kid.

7.  Your best pal(s) as a kid.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

What a great bunch of questions. 

1. Your first pet.
   A dog named Prince. After my dad died he was my best friend.

2. Your first bicycle.
   An old pre-war something-or-other with 26" wheels. I was only seven years old and couldn't ride it. My dad put a 20" wheel
   on the back and then all was well.

A babe named Sandi. A 5'10" strawberry blonde with big chesticles. The most beautiful woman I've ever known.

Playing the steel guitar. My did was a wizard and taught me well. By the time I was seven I was the best around.

My dad.

Hershey.

7. Your best pal(s) as a kid.
   Lyle and Larry. We go back to Los Angeles in 1945. Larry went off to play ball for the Phillies in 1959 and Lyle       joined the Marines    in 1960. I haven't seen either since. Sigh..........

Edited by W2DR
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1. Your first pet. 

Spot, mongrel, black/white spots. Bit a kid who was teasing him. The authorities took Spot to test for rabies. Sigh.

2. Your first bicycle.

A hand-me down red Schwinn with big tires and foot brakes. Many, many happy miles,

Mary Baker in first grade. A total crush which was totally not reciprocated.

Running. Anywhere, anytime. 

My dad (real); Roy Rogers (a fictional cowboy on tv).

Butterfinger (chocolate-covered honeycomb). Still my favorite.

Lee, Glenn, Johnny, Paul. All dead now but left a lot of fond memories.

Edited by Rodger Pettichord
reword
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

G'day Rodger. 

1   Cat

2 Some red crappy thing.

3 Female

4 Riding a red crappy bike.

5 My cat protecting my red crappy bike.

6 Kit Kat

7 Tania, Liam, Nigel.

I'll try not to be to serious next time.:huh:

cheers

Gumby

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

1.  Little grey kitten, Smokey.  I was four when she came home with us riding in my red cowboy hat.  I was about 26 when she died.

2. Typical bike with training wheels.  When the trainers came off I rode it everywhere.  Put many hundreds of miles on it until it was replaced by a full sized Schwinn when I was ten.

3.  Probably would have to say Marion.  We were 13, she, an orphan was staying with her older sister who was a neighbor.  First girl to kiss me (she took the lead).

4.  Building "simulators", airplanes or submarines, or boats out of Wall board and cardboard boxes.

5.  Probably Sir Winston Churchill.

6.  Would have to be Three Musketeers.  But I was never a great candy bar fan.  Loved NECCO wafers, red hots, and especially licorice (I always got the black jelly beans at Halloween.  Still love them, just had a few this evening).

7.  Artie and Larry G., early, Bobby, Larry Q., later.  Larry Q passed away years ago, but I'm still in sporadic contact with his widow.  No contact with the others for decades.

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1. Your first pet.  a budgie called Lucky, however I gave him some candy balls from the top of my sweets, next day he was gone, though I never told my parents, may have been a coincidence..

2. Your first bicycle. the first I remember was a Chipper, a small version of the Raleigh Chopper with no gears....

3. Your first girlfriend. not first girlfriend, and I don't remember her name, I was about 10 at the time, for some reason though we were in a wardrobe in my bedroom whilst she was visiting with her mum, and the wardrobe fell over and we were stuck inside, what was I thinking...

4. Your first real skill as a kid. probably riding a bike I guess, though we played a lot of darts in our house when I was growing up and even now though I don't play well, my mental maths is really sharp...

5. Your first hero (real or fictional). none really....maybe 70's F1 drivers, Niki Lauda, James Hunt, Jody Scheckter, Ronnie Peterson....

6. Your favorite candy bar as a kid  UK- Frys chocolate cream bar or a crunchie....

7.  Your best pal(s) as a kid Paul and Mark, Paul would come to mine at about 1030am in the summer school holidays, we'd be out and about all day, bikes and football mostly, mum would give me £1 for lunch, bag of chips, can of coke and a mars bar.....Mark was more when I was older, I joined the Army he went to prison, not sure where he is now, I see Paul rarely, we say hello.... I don't mix much after the military..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

1. Your first pet.
   Blackie... Cocker Spaniel loved playing ball.

2. Your first bicycle.
   White 10-speed with ram horns.

Susan White beautiful blonde (10).

Owning my own grass-cutting business, paid for my clothes, guitar, and new lawn mower.

John Wayne

Taffy

7. Your best pal(s) as a kid.
   Brad, his dad owned a farm in Indiana and had fun playing in the barn.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1. Your first pet.

Tweeti...a green parakeet

2. Your first bicycle.

A big bike with no brakes my Dad got from the Sheriff's impound.  Didn't realize it had no brakes until I got to the bottom of the hill by my house.

Linda Moore......were were boyfriend/girlfriend from Kindergarten to 7th Grade

Mumbly peg   I can still throw a mean knife

My Dad, he was a Deputy Sheriff and I was sure he was saving the world.

A Big Hunk

Paul and Mike since 5 yrs old.  Both in my wedding in 1971 and still in touch with them today.

• Upvote 2

1. Your first pet.

Springer Spaniel called Dingo

2. Your first bicycle.

Red one. Hand me down from my sister.  I had a CHiPs outfit and made out I was Eric Estrada - it was awesome (not).

Sarah

I was a pretty handy cricketer and an awesome Space Lego builder.  

Sir Viv Richards

Opel Fruits.   WTF is Starburst all about?

Mark and Rupert

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2