Older Than Dirt Quiz.........

Count all the ones that you actually remember, not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water 
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with table-side jukeboxes 
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines on the telephone
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax   (that was our hair product)
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H green stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with a lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns 
23. Drive-in movies
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older                                                                                   
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

PS: I remember them all. I guess that's why they call me a dirty old man.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Almost all of them.  I don't remember #7 but I do remember when we got a dial telephone. Maybe we had a party line, as a kid I'd never know. Children were never allowed to touch the phone.  My wife, thought two years younger, remembers her grandma talking on the party line in rural Illinois.  Leave 9, 10 & 20 out. Never knew the Packard automobile but I briefly served on a US Navy Minesweeper that had Packard engines (USS Adroit, MSO 509). #25, not necessarily wash tubs, but my aunt had a washing machine with a wringer (no spin cycle).  I remember the rest of them. 

A number of these can still be found if you look in the right places.

So I guess I'm older than dirt.  But since I work in a Living History museum, I "remember" A lot of even earlier things, like one-click washing machines, cooking on a hearth, two legged running water (the kid runs and gets the water!)

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Two legged running water.....lol....nice one Ken!

I remember all but  Packards and the party line telephone.  Good times growing up in the 50's and 60's, a different world without internet, social media.  We had to actually go outside and play after school.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Two legged running water.....lol....nice one Ken!

I remember all but  Packards and the party line telephone.  Good times growing up in the 50's and 60's, a different world without internet, social media.  We had to actually go outside and play after school.  🙂

The adults love it!  My shop, or my wife's kitchen, both circa 1830.  We'll ask "where's the running water?  Do you see a sink with running water?"  Quizzical looks.  Shaking heads.  "Uhh, no!?"  "Well I do. My running water-you (finger pointing to the nearest child) are the running water. You run and get the water..."  My wife, in comparing an 1830 kitchen to a current one, will ask the same about "dishwashers."  By the way, one thing we old couts didn't have to deal with was "autocorrect."  That "one-click washing machine" should be a "one child-powered washing machine.". At $13.50 the most expensive item " for sale" in our 1865 General Store.

As I mentioned, the telephone was off limits to kids.  No play dates.  We wanted to play with a friend, we went to the back door of his house, knocked, and asked "can Larry come out to play?"  We went all over the place. No-one ever thought that a child had to be closely supervised.

This "old timer" also astonishes kids and adults by pointing out that his Grandpa (A Silversmith)  didn't think twice about sending a ten year old to walk several city blocks in downtown Brooklyn with two shopping bags full of Sterling Silver to take it to the engraver for custom engraving.

Born of another Time!!

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I actually remember them all quite well and am grateful that I lived in those days. I actually feel sorry for today's young people who will never know a natural world still teeming with wild life, a culture that believed in itself for good reason, and a majority of people who had high values and morals. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

All except #1.  Not an American product?

Black Jack Chewing Gum was invented in 1884 by chicle pioneer, Adams, and was the first flavored chewing gum.  There's an interesting Wikipedia article on it. And yes, it's an American product and yes, though not as popular as in times past, it's still available.

Though I'm not a great chewing gum fan, I am very fond of licorice, and thus it something of a favorite.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
9. P.F. Flyers
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H green stamps
16. Hi-fi's
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-in movies

Scooter pies... remember those... yum!

Red Chief peddle car... early 1960's... got one for Christmas.

Edited by TuFun
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Hello,
here are some English equivalents that I do remember:

3. Sweet cigarettes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with silver paper lids (this still happens)
8. Newsreels before the film
10. Brylcreme   (that was our hair product)
11. TV test card that came on at night after the last programme and were there until TV programmes started again in the morning.
12. Peashooters
14. 45 RPM records (also 78 rpm and 33 rpm)
15. Green Shield stamps
16. Hi-fi systems
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
22. Cork popguns 
25. Washing machine wringers

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3