Bullseye landing on helideck of Burj Al Arab in Dubai

ikbenik

The Polish pilot Lukasz Czepiela succeeded in his attempt to land on the small helipad(diameter=27mtr) at the famous 6* Hotel Burj Al Arab in Dubai.

Airborned from the Skydive airstrip OMDU in Carbon Cub Crafter, made as light as possible(empty=425Kg) for a thrilling landing on the platform 220mtr ASL.

I replicated this flight virtual and after many attempts I also succeeded to perform this flight, hereby some shots of it. The Dubai-scenery from Orbx is fantastic.

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-1.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-2.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-3.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-4.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-5.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-6.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-7.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-8.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-9.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-10.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-11.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-12.jpg

Dubai-OMDU-Cub-Crafter-Red-Bull-13.jpg

I had a pretty strong N-E headwind that reduced my landingspeed to 40Knt in my last attempt, if not a propably overshoot for a diving rescue-flight.

You can reed and see the real attempt via follow website: Bullseye Landing: Luke Czepiela lands on Burj Al Arab (redbull.com)

• Like 5

nice set of shots, I have been following this pilots attempts and prep for this, I had one question once he did it and that was how did he get off, seems he just went full blast and hope he got lift under the wings on the way down....

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wain71 said:

nice set of shots, I have been following this pilots attempts and prep for this, I had one question once he did it and that was how did he get off, seems he just went full blast and hope he got lift under the wings on the way down....

If you google landing competitions you'll see many competitors who can land and take off in a fraction of this helipad, but the biggest factor is a suitable headwind.  I don't know what the wind was blowing when the real world landing was performed but I bet it was a steady headwind of at least 10 kts

• Like 1