This Week's Meaningless Topic (#127)(Feb 11)

Hi all. We on the Forum love our dogs and cats. Lots of good buddies there. But what if we couldn't have dogs and cats? And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  If you could not have a dog or a cat for a pet, what would you choose instead? (No, you cannot choose beer!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Parrot. 

That was an instinctive answer - they beautiful, intelligent and love human contact but on reflection a part of me doesn't like the idea of caging a parrot. Hmmm

Edited by Pukcip
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

This is a tough one, Rodge.  Cats (and dogs-but I know cats better) are bright, loyal, loving, and incredibly mischievous, and of course, cute as can be.  Other animals have a hard time with this.  Small rodents can be very cite, but with the possible exception of guinea pigs, not much of the other qualities.  And though I wouldn't call A horse "cute", they are beautiful and have the other qualities.  But as a lap companion they don't make it.  A friend, Tom, had an OLD horse named Jake, who decided he would like to be a lap horse, but the object of his affection was a girl named Jessica.  Jake was over 1000 pounds, Jess under 100.  This did not work!  So back to cute rodents.  Squirrels are cute, and the way they tease the cat, seem to be pretty bright.  But as wild animals there are now laws prohibiting keeping them as pets.  Not always so: in the 18th and 19th century children often did keep them.  Indeed, Benjamin Franklin gifted an American squirrel to the young daughter of an English friend.  At the time a slang term for a squirrel was  "skrug."  In time the critter died, and the girl wrote Dr. Franklin to ask him to suggest an epitaph for her beloved, but alas, short lived pet.  Franklin suggested this:

Here lies Scrug

As snug as a bug

In a rug.

Yes, that's where in comes from!

Of course, as Pukcip suggests there all sorts birds kept as pets.  We had a parakeek once, when I was a kid. But that's another story.

(Dr) Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Large South American tropical fish of the cichlid family. I had a large 150gal tank with various kinds ranging from 12 to 15 in, plus a large red tailed catfish, arrowana and 20in pacu which is related to the piranha, but eats veggies. I fed mine Combo of veggies and beef heart, plus they all loved being hand fed and petted on there head.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, John Heaton said:

my wife - she's lasted longer than 6 dogs -- 2 cats - and countless goldfish and Budgies------ - and doesn't smell when cuddling in bed:D

John!!! I just nearly spilt my wine. I dare you to show your better half your answer:)

• Haha 5

Sadly we live in a no pets building. My wife on the other hand calls me Pet. She is of Scottish Heritage and I call her my "lovely oatmeal savage". To get me back (with my German heritage), one time we visited a sheep farm and she make me cuddle and chase a sheep and then stand beside this nice creature she took a picture and said: "I always wanted a German Shepherd":o>:(:D. Hey guys would it be OK to have ....'. now?:P. Cheers k:)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Sadly we live in a no pets building. My wife on the other hand calls me Pet. She is of Scottish Heritage and I call her my "lovely oatmeal savage". To get me back (with my German heritage), one time we visited a sheep farm and she make me cuddle and chase a sheep and then stand beside this nice creature she took a picture and said: "I always wanted a German Shepherd":o>:(:D. Hey guys would it be OK to have ....'. now?:P. Cheers k:)

My mother calls everyone Duck. And to your question,   yessss:D

cheers

Gumby

• Upvote 2

A sheep to keep our new addition to the family occupied. But seriously, in my youth we had some loving, derpy cats. If I could get another affectionate cat I would be happy. Only thing I wouldn't appreciate are the maimed bird and rodent gifts :)

Cheers 

Graeme

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1