This Week's Meaningless Topic (#119)(Dec 16)

Hi all. The Christmas experience changes as we progress through life, from the excitement of youth, to the broad holiday responsibilities of middle age, to the mellow appreciations of the senior years. Here's your chance to share what you're enjoying for this year's Christmas celebration.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What means most to you about Christmas this year?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The gradual return to normal: Midnight Mass (but ours starts at 10:00 PM), and my annual roast beef and Yorkshire pudding (Grandma's "recipe" "until it looks right") Christmas dinner.  Also Candlelight Evenings at work.  That part is a tough one because a) I don't like to drive at night, and b) being 'Old Coots' it's exhausting. But we've got a masochistic streak, we do enjoy it and I get shift differential pay.  We'll have to see how this year works out.  2020 was cancelled outright and last year it was cancelled after two evenings after several staff members came down with Covid.  Wife and I roast chestnuts.

Christmas dinner is quiet just the two of us.  We like to have a " Twelfth Night" party with friends for dinner on or about January 6 (and yes, the Christmas Tree stays up, and Christmas doesn't end until Epiphany, January 6).

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!

Happy Hanukkah to a!l who  celebrate this wonderful feast!

Got Jule!

And a happy Holiday Season to all!!!

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I don't really know this year. Last Christmas was difficult. Both of our mothers were nearing end of life and we were their main carers. So Christmas was spent just driving around to look after them.

They passed away in 2022. Much time this year has been spent on funerals, probate and generally dealing with their estates and so on.

My wife was very close to her mother and still misses her very much. So this Christmas will be a sad time of remembrance.

We have a static caravan on the coast in West Wales so hopefully we will go there for Christmas. Four different walls and a chance to just walk on the beach. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 8

Still COVID free for my wife and I and for that we are thankful . I am very grateful for all the blessings in my life and I hope all here on the forum have a blessed Christmas and a safe New Years .

Cheers

John

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Having good health as my wife and I head towards our seventies and are more than reasonably fit for our age. We will, as always, have a long drawn out meal on our own as we don't have kids, have a break between courses to take in a short movie or an episode of our favourite comedy shows and enjoy a glass or two along the way. We will not forget those who have not survived the year (we will attend a funeral on the 29th) and thank our good fortune. As a Scotsman I will let my hair down, or what little is left of it, on Hogmanay. 

Best wishes to all.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

do you know I am not really sure this year, see Christmas Eve 2019 my dad lost his fight with Cancer, 3 months was all it took, so glad I was there and visited every day...then we had COVID, life was difficult as my mum was now on her own, in her early 80's and I am an only child, my wife is an angel (my rock but she doesn't realise, I am very quiet, keep my emotions in, army training I guess), anyway the last couple of Christmas's we've had mum around for dinner etc but this year my 3 grown up kids and their kids are coming to my mums for Christmas eve drinks and buffet style food, take all our minds off the pain but talk about good memories....then at one of my daughters with her partner and youngest for Christmas dinner, mum there also, it will be nice for someone else to cook for me....

hoping to make this year an occasion for making much laughter and reflection on what we have had, have now and how lucky we are....

I hope you all get to spend time with the people you care about, make the most of it, and if you do partake- have a drink on me.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Not so much anymore as most of my family are gone or live in other states. My brother and his wife get together for Christmas and exchange gifts. We enjoy watching our doggies open there gifts which is quite hilarious. :D

Actually I'm waiting for the third of January when everyone is back to work and all the nuts that come out once a year are off the road and stores are back to normal . :D

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

It'll be a bit different this year. Normally the extended family and some hangers on all get together at a nominated house, quite a large crowd. This year we are being selfish. We are going down to the beach for brekkie (have said all welcome to join us), then home for Christmas lunch for an intimate celebration with just my wife and our kids (that'll be the usual bbq'd prawns and fine wine/beer). Later on anyone welcome for an early evening drink. This will be our first Christmas with just our immediate family. Can't wait!

Merry Christmas friends

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

We are not going down to the beach, for obvious reasons. But our 3 daughters with boyfriends are going to come over - they bring starters and dessert. And hopefully lots of presents. At least we have some prepared for them (just in case Santa´s delivery is delayed). It is our tradition to watch the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy over holiday, and the first part will be enjoyed on the first evening. Christmas cookies and Marzipan will help us through the extended version.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2