Jump to content

Any P3D news?


Dan Pergau
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

As mentioned in the road map there were plans to bring Boise, Van Nuys, Palm Beach and other sceneries to P3D. Are these still in production? 
 

I’m staying with P3D for the foreseeable future as I find MSFS far too buggy (ie still no snow plows?). I am certain there are other P3D users out there too. If v6 is in the works I am hoping that Orbx will support it. 
 

Thanks,

Dan

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too am a P3D v5 loyalist.  As pretty as it seems to be, for a number of reasons I have no interest in MSFS.  Therefore I am very, very disappointed that Orbx and other developers seem to have abandoned P3D.  I too would love to see the airports Dan mentions released.  In addition I'd very much like to see Camarillo, and Fresno and any other airports that are controlled in PilotEdge. Add to that, Bullhead AZ.  The enhanced version in the SoCal region has serious elevation issues making it unusable, and it's such a great airport. I scoff all of  these up in a heartbeat!

 

So much for the current Black Friday sale.  There is nothing left for me to buy.

 

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My P3D drive is up to 1.75 tb.  Mostly Orbx scenery.  I just spent a fair amount of money on the Black Friday sale.  I would definitely like to see more Orbx P3D scenery.  I have no plans to delve into MSFS.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Bullfox said:

My P3D drive is up to 1.75 tb.  Mostly Orbx scenery.  I just spent a fair amount of money on the Black Friday sale.  I would definitely like to see more Orbx P3D scenery.  I have no plans to delve into MSFS.

When I had my new Jetline computer built last March I had two 2TB hard drives installed.  I'd like to fill them with even more Orbx scenery.

 

Ken

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoyed P3D as a follow on from FSX for a number of years. Orbx were at the forefront of new scenery design with their regions and then True Earth products. I purchased 90% of their scenery library.

 

But realistically, I cannot see any payware developers releasing new products for P3Dv4/5. The current market for MSFS is huge in comparison. So that is where interest is inevitably now focused. XP12 will no doubt also receive interest from developers.  On the positive side, there are already a huge number of add-ons available for P3D currently. No doubt, if P3Dv6 is released then it will receive the attention of developers.

 

I have MSFS, P3D and XP11 installed on my pc and will be purchasing XP12 when the public beta ends.

 

I now spend the majority of my time using MSFS. At first, I was not happy with it, but I persevered. The developers continue frequently to produce free updates which is to be applauded. Graphically (which is important to me as much of my flying is VFR) it is amazing and in a different league to all simulators previously released.

 

Just my thoughts :).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ken Q said:

When I had my new Jetline computer built last March I had two 2TB hard drives installed.  I'd like to fill them with even more Orbx scenery.

 

Ken

Now Ken  - the ideal situation would allow me to give you my portfolio of P3D V5 software

 

- viZ---!2 Globals - 13 Regions - 10 True Earths - 6 Cityscapes - 40 airports - 8 Aircraft - 23 Miscellaneous items - 

 

all purchased from Orbx - plus a stack of aircraft and miscellaneous from  Carenado - Just Flight etc

 

I wish I still had the money:rolleyes: - but I have to admit - I enjoyed using them - until MS offered me the new sim - and regrettably -  

no transfers :(

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A very nice thought, John. Thank you.

I already own all of the Orbx products that I can use: all of the U.S. Regions and True Earth, and almost all of the U.S. airports.  But there are so many more sceneries that could be done.  And I acknowledge that MSFS is the mass market darling.  But P3D and X-Plane have a large following with money to spend on quality add-ons.

 

Ken

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree it'll be nice for P3D users to get an update not just from Orbx but all major devs. I guess no news is good news?

 

I think the Navigraph survey will be a good indicator this year for devs. It's been a big year for MSFS in terms of high fidelity aircraft landing on the platform - which was a big blockage for a sub-set of P3D users migrating over. Yes they'll be people who will never leave P3D (some never left FSX) but the survey should provide a decent snapshot of the market left for P3D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EasternT3 said:

I agree it'll be nice for P3D users to get an update not just from Orbx but all major devs. I guess no news is good news?

 

I think the Navigraph survey will be a good indicator this year for devs. It's been a big year for MSFS in terms of high fidelity aircraft landing on the platform - which was a big blockage for a sub-set of P3D users migrating over. Yes they'll be people who will never leave P3D (some never left FSX) but the survey should provide a decent snapshot of the market left for P3D.

One problem with P3D and the survey is that it lists the use of each version separately which makes MSFS use appear to wallop P3D.  However, while total use of MSFS does outnumber P3D, if the use of v.4 & v.5 are added together the difference is not as great.  At least it wasn't last year.  We'll have to see what this year brings.

 

Ken

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2022 at 11:24 AM, Dan Pergau said:

I’m staying with P3D for the foreseeable future

....

If v6 is in the works I am hoping that Orbx will support it. 

 

+1

 

Gérard

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

just spent some ORBS on p3d scenery and not long ago got FT's YSSY, I do still use p3dv5 along with MSFS & XP12, it really depend on what I fancy flying so I would purchase something if I wanted it....does seem to be getting less choice about though for p3d....communication from all developers would be nice...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2022 at 5:13 AM, paulb said:

I enjoyed P3D as a follow on from FSX for a number of years. Orbx were at the forefront of new scenery design with their regions and then True Earth products. I purchased 90% of their scenery library.

 

But realistically, I cannot see any payware developers releasing new products for P3Dv4/5. The current market for MSFS is huge in comparison. So that is where interest is inevitably now focused. XP12 will no doubt also receive interest from developers.  On the positive side, there are already a huge number of add-ons available for P3D currently. No doubt, if P3Dv6 is released then it will receive the attention of developers.

 

I have MSFS, P3D and XP11 installed on my pc and will be purchasing XP12 when the public beta ends.

 

I now spend the majority of my time using MSFS. At first, I was not happy with it, but I persevered. The developers continue frequently to produce free updates which is to be applauded. Graphically (which is important to me as much of my flying is VFR) it is amazing and in a different league to all simulators previously released.

 

Just my thoughts :).

Hi Paul,

 

I would have to agree with you.  I too was very skeptical of MSFS.  As with any new item though, there is a learning curve.  Even my teenage son initially did not like MSFS.  But he has made the jump to MSFS and no longer plays P3D or XP11.  The graphics and performance of MSFS is leaps and bounds, and miles ahead of the other platforms.  To be specific, I did a flight out of Orcas Island on MSFS in the Beaver.  Just as a comparator, I decided to fire up P3Dv4 to see how similar or different the two sims were. I used the exact plane, and the exact scenery.  As good a quality as both products are( Orcas Island and the Beaver), I literally felt like I was back in the time using P3D. There truthfully is no comparison.  I remember vehemently fighting against FSX when it initially came out.  All of my comfort and quite frankly money, had been poured into FS9. How could they have taken my baby, FS9 away from me and brought this monster called FSX into my world? Then I discovered this company called Orbx was creating scenery for FSX that was mind blowing, so I had to make the change if I wanted to feel relevant. The rest is history, lol. 

 

I would encourage the skeptics to start off slowly.  Enjoy their current platforms while "toying" with MSFS.  Just as I did, I'm sure they will find themselves waking up one day and literally thinking to themselves, hmmm that's weird, I've now gone several days without touching the other sims. MSFS definitely grows on you and over time, becomes the new norm. So to your point, I don't see developers cranking out too many new products for the older sims.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found that very - very interesting - and the tying together of the 3 URLs - raises the possible answer to the old saw that has

been beaten to death - almost - "Will Lockheed Martin give MSFS a fight with P3D V6" - or is it too late.

 

After all - one massive reason for the success of MSFS has been this Blackshark 3D element in the scenery - and MS are reliant on Bing Sats

and LM would have the Maxar Sats - which appear to be up to date as their customers require

 

 

Or? - Will LM give us a new DCS with 3D photogrammetry using this unreal engine and Blackshark - and leave commercial simming to MSFS

 

I have seen a rumour that Orbx have been involved with DCS in an effort to improve/update the background scenarios

 

@Quantum Amiga - maybe your above URLs could be a thread on their own as a basis of forum interest

 

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Heaton said:

I have seen a rumour that Orbx have been involved with DCS in an effort to improve/update the background scenarios

 

Hello John,

I assume you mean this officially announced rumour?

Official News 2022 - Page 2 - Official Updates - ED Forums (dcs.world)

Not much to do with "Any P3D news?" though. :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

 

Hello John,

I assume you mean this officially announced rumour?

Official News 2022 - Page 2 - Official Updates - ED Forums (dcs.world)

Not much to do with "Any P3D news?" though. :)

 

Hi Nick 

Sheesh - just too late to edit my diatribe - but thanks for confirming my 'Rumour' - the source of which my Al - whatisname brain 

couldn't compute:(

 

"Any P3D news" ?? - well I didn't want to steal the thunder from Quantum Amiga and his revelation of the 3 URLs as a potential discussion 

on the said Simulator --- did I? :)  - and start another thread which could have formatted a rumour of LM's potential attitude to the value

of Gaming graphics leading to a possible Version 6 of their well-beloved flight simulator - 

 

Quote ---  This technology capitalizes on commercial game engine advancements for an integrated, scalable architecture that leverages an extensible plugin framework for future training and visualization efforts.

Edited by John Heaton
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...