Two 747 in Hobart

bernd1151

When you think of Hobart and its 2750 m runway, a 747 does not come as a logical plane to land there into your mind. But over the last thirty years, a Qantas 747 landed there four times. The first one was a B 747-200 (VH-EBN), which landed on 22nd September 1989. The second time was a B 747SP (VH-EAA), which landed on 22nd February 1990. The third time it was a B 747-400 on 20th September 1990 and the last one another 747-400 on 10th October 2019.

Considering this history, I will use Hobart as a special place for one of the last identical four and the first 747 ever built. I got the idea from a nice thread on another site that deals with our simulator. On Wednesday, Oct. 5 2022, Atlas Air took delivery of a 747-8 Freighter (N861GT). This unit is the second of four new 747-8 Freighters ordered by Atlas Air in 2021, which are also the last 747s ever to be produced by Boeing, putting an end to the "Queen of the Skies”. The first Jumbo, the iconic prototype RA001, a 747-121, christened “City of Everett”, made its maiden flight on February 9, 1969. One of its last flights will now be the one into Hobart.:)

But first we have to get to the airport

748-1.jpg

748-2.jpg

748-3.jpg

748-4.jpg

Yummi (I mean the food!!)

748-5.jpg

I love the details in the interior

748-6.jpg

748-7.jpg

Here we go: 747-8F with rego N861GT

748-8.jpg

748-9.jpg

748-10.jpg

Unfortunately, also cargo planes have to follow a strict schedule. N861GT had to leave before the City of Everett arrived

748-11.jpg

That happened around one hour later

748-13.jpg

748-14.jpg

A truly iconic piece of aviation history

748-15a.jpg

What a beauty (this time I mean the bird…äähm…I mean…I mean the plane of course) :)

748-16.jpg

748-16a.jpg

748-17.jpg

Btw, the 747-100 is the FS9 Posky model that I converted to MSFS (with all the associated limitations of course. But she flies quite nicely.)

Edited by bernd1151
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, paulb said:

Very well done Bernd. A great and informative post. A nice piece of history :).

Thank you very much, Paul

14 hours ago, Caluma65 said:

A fine set of shots Bernd and a very interesting background too.  Cheers,

Calum

Many thanks Calum

11 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Great images Bernd! Love the details and the background history. Nicely executed :) 

I'm happy you like them, Landon

11 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

That was very well put together Bernd.

I love the interior shots of the airport, but I

was unaware of the number of 747 arrivals at Hobart.:)

cheers

Gumby

Thanks a lot, Gumby. Only when I googled whether a Jumbo can land in Hobart, did I get to know about those four successful landings

9 hours ago, adambar said:

yet another iconic aircraft gone. Enjoyed the info and shots Bernd. :)

Luckily it will survive in our virtual world for a few more years :) Thank you, Adam

5 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Love the pics - so sharp and clear ---- 4K perhaps ?

also love the demo version of the 747 and looking forward to Just Flight's version of the 200 coming in MSFS soon

Spent many hours in the VH - EB? numbered aircraft:)

Many thanks, John, no 4K here. Like you I can't wait to fly these old birds once they are introduced :)

4 hours ago, Stillwater said:

A fantastic selection of food you found. And a truely great post, with a very interesting background, an interesting location and good screenies taken in perfect light.

That´s what I love in this forum!

Thank you very much for your kind comment, Gerold

3 hours ago, John Mac said:

Great shots to accompany a very interesting story! Thanks Bernd!

John.

Many thanks, John

• Like 3