Jump to content

Opinions please.


Recommended Posts

 

Hi guys

I am thinking of getting a new rig, - thinking^_^. The thought of what I have to do re-installing everything, is a bit of a put off. 

So, I have attached a couple of pics with the technical specs for you learned gentlemen to peruse and tell me what you think. The $$$ are around the 3500 mark, which is a little beyond my limit, but isn't that what credit cards are for, :P if I find where my wife has hidden it. I made a couple of comments a couple of nights ago, and next morning found my wallet lying on the kitchen floor. minus my CC.:( Back to the serious stuff, if you guys can look this over and tell me what you think I would really appreciate it. My son said, "spend it while you can dad, tomorrow you might be dead," unfortunately, at my age, that has a ring of truth to it! :wacko: 

Thanks

Don

 

 

 

 

 

348739400_Computer1.JPG.5a8e189dd0af0975d2ed37a062516a17.JPGI

 

1242182091_Computer2.JPG.7a3f56f00a5837de7c2de01ef8aa21a5.JPG

 

 

Edited by Aussieflyer38
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Don,

 

Just a few non - technical comments from me :).  I know that Landon builds his so he can advise better.

 

Anyway -

32GB will be fine to run everything. No need for more, but I wouldn't get less.

The 3080 has 10GB of memory. More might be better - It depends a bit on your monitor. 4k likes more memory. If you don't run in 4k then that card will be great.

The new 4000 series will be out soon, so prices for a 3000 series should drop.

I would get more than 3GB of storage. In my experience, you can never have enough. SSDs are much lower in price than they used to be. SATA drives are cheap nowadays. Perhaps change to a 4GB SATA drive (from 2GB), or just add a second 2GB SATA drive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Don - My PC karked it on my Birthday last week - mainly in the HDD areas (4) and since it was 4years since I last did an upgrade

and I was faced with decisions like you are facing. Also in my case Finance was a major point and no way could I afford the prices of

a new one - so I shopped around - scrapped all in the PC except memory 16GB - Bought the latest Motherboard and fitted 48GB ram (new 32)

3 SSDs- (2x1tB 1x2TB) - a new I7 with heat sink and a new Nvidia 3060 (12GB) - total cost $A1600 and it runs like #$%^ down a storm drain

I can't believe the difference - MS2020 loads so fast as I blink - and the old - well i could make a coffee and drink it waiting for the first

main screen

 

oh yes - the missus ??  - she agreed - that since it was my 87th birthday - I could spend the dosh and she would buy a cheaper URN to go

with the Cardboard Coffin:o

 

(PS I also changed the power supply to 850 which came with all new cabling and the space gained by dumping the 4HDDs gives a

massive air flow space inside the old (14years) tower

 

 

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Don

 

As Paul has  mentioned Landon (Sniper31) is an excellent resource for questions related to building

His knowledge of such things is second to none.

 

You might also find the attached video helpful in your decision making.

It is comprehensive and is supported by MS2020 performance comparisons for each component discussed.

 

The machine that you are looking at is spec'd out very well and  the components included in the machine give a performance that

is in the top tier in terms of the testing results that are shown in the video.

 

Paul makes an excellent suggestion regarding the resolution that you would be using.

 

In my experience there is a very significant difference between the total computer resources required to run MS2020 well at 4K vs 1440p or 1080p.

The machine you are looking at would work extremely well at 1440p and I would think , based upon the video results also do  well at a higher resolution.

 

With respect to Vram , it is important to note that Asobo has done a lot of work now on memory management in the sim, especially in DX12.  

 

My card is a RTX3070ti with 8 GB.   My monitor resolution is 1440p.

 

During the Su10 beta I started monitoring total Vram usage as Asobo was doing a lot of work on memory management , especially 

for DX12. The utility I was using was called GPU-Z and it gives a very extensive display of GPU information in real time.  I also was using 

the fps display available in MS2020 as well , as it also gives Vram usage based upon what the sim is actually using. 

 

What I found as the algorithm was improved through the various beta iterations, was that total allocated VRam used on the card was

between 7.5- 7.8 GB.  I never got into a situation where I ran out of Vram and total Vram allocated was always within that range regardless

of where I flew.

 

What is important to note, is that the algorithm  is allocating Vram based upon what is available physically on the card. 

So with more physical  Vram available the numbers will change, but the memory management will then manage resources based on that cards

available total memory e.g. a card with 10 or 12 GB  will have more allocated and be above what the 8 GB card would have allocated.

 

Put simply, the  MS2020 memory management is working to ensure that you are able to use the sim effectively with the Vram resources you have available.

 

The difference between allocated Vram and actual Vram usage on a modern GPU is bit complicated.  This is a good article I found for

a reference if you are interested:

 

https://appuals.com/vram-allocation-vs-vram-usage-what-is-the-difference/#:~:text=Basically%2C when a game “allocates,Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

 

With respect to hard drive space, other members are correct, more is better as it is surprising how quickly it can fill up.

 

The machine you are looking has a USB-c port which is what I have on mine.  I have an  WD 4 Tb external SSD  drive which I use on this port

for XPlane and all its scenery.  It works like a charm and I never have noticed any deterioration in loading that would cause me concern.

 

It was also not that much money . I certainly could recommend that as a possible option for the future if you wanted to add additional storage space based on my experience with that approach.

 

I hope this is of help to you

All the best

Pete

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay Don, let me see what I can add to the already great information from Paul and Pete above. The system you have picked out above looks pretty good based on your budget. I don't know exactly what the AU dollars look like compared to US dollars, so it's hard for me to properly confirm, but with the hardware in that system there are some good quality components listed so that is why I think it looks good for the price. IF there is any wiggle room on spending allowance, I would try and bump up to a 3080 Ti for that little extra VRAM, but I also think you will be fine with the regular 3080. The Ryzen 5800x is an excellent gaming CPU, the ASUS motherboard is top notch and the EVGA 850w PSU is also an excellent product. Also, the included 32Gb of GSkill RAM is good as well, and the right amount. Sure, could you add you add more RAM? Yes. But, you don't need to for MSFS or any other games or sims out right now. Now onto my cocerns..

 

The biggest concern I have for this system is cooling. Too many system designers and builders overlook the cooling. Todays CPU's and especially GPU's run hotter and hotter. Plus, as I understand it, you live in hot climate and I don't know if you all use air conditioning over there like we do here in the U.S. Right off the bat, looking at that case, there is poor frontal ventilation. Very poor. Also, does not look like much on the back either. Now, I can't see from the pics if there is proper ventilation in the top or bottom of the case, but if there is, that helps. But, that front panel worries me. Also, I don't see what type of cooler the system comes with in those specs. I am not a fan of air coolers, as there are SO many good quality AIO (All In One) liquid coolers available. I would definitely want to know what the cooling situation is for this system. And, if there is an option, even more important than bumping up to a 3080Ti, is if there is an option for a better ventilated case. A proper case with GOOD airflow is ultra important these days, and often overlooked or disregarded. As a reference, look at the links I provided. These are some of the best airflow cases out there right now, as examples of what you want to try and get. You buy a cheap case, and you will get cheap, poor results when it comes to cooling these hotter systems. 

 

Fractal Torrent

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/torrent/torrent/black-rgb-tg-light-tint/

 

Fractal Meshify 2

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2/black-tg-dark-tint/

 

beQuiet Silent Base 802

https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/2047

 

Feel free to ask further questions regarding any of my input Don, and I look forward to seeing you enjoy a new system!

 

Landon

 

P.S. I also agree additional storage would benefit you, and I also agree adding some plugin storage is a good option. The system comes with a good base to get you started, and I would absolutely install MSFS onto that NVMe M.2 drive.

Edited by Sniper31
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Don

 

Every time Landon answers  questions  about building I learn something important :)

 

Just to expand on his comments on adequate cooling.  Cooling also needs to be  a balanced airflow

e.g. the air intake needs to balance the total outflow.  Good builders will check this always, but sometimes it gets

over looked.

 

Also, most psu's required for such systems are larger and heavier than those in smaller systems.

They tend to be mounted on the case bottom.  The PSU also needs air coming in and if you set the case

directly on a carpet there is the possibility that the airflow into the psu if it takes air from the bottom of the case

will be restricted.  I actually built a little wooden stand for mine which raises it off the floor and assures that the intake to the 

psu is not restricted.

 

My system has a fractal case, and I certain can vouch for Landon's recommendation.  I find they are excellent.

Also when my builder air balanced mine I was given a choice of two brands of extra fans to use.  They were Arctic cooling

and Noctua.  The Arctic cooling  were less expensive than the Noctua , very quiet and very efficient and worked a treat in my case.

The Noctua were more expensive , extremely high build quality and efficiency and slightly noisier when they demonstrated them to me.

 

So I went with the Arctic cooling option and I have been very happy with that choice. 

 

Cheers 

Pete

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I updated my machine early this year. i have concluded that my Ryzen 3800X is fast enough most of the time, but I would benefit from something faster.  I am considering a Ryzen 5900X but am waiting for the price to come down more.  The Radeon 6800X does pretty good, with 16gb of ram.  I have a two tb m2 drive with just P3D on it.  Its about three quarters full.  I have no plans to go to MSFS but will probably go with Xplane 12 after a bit more time.  A 2tb ssd is within my price range so will probably add that, put XPlane 12 on it and add the 5900x before the end of the year.  Will see if I can overclock it to 5.0 ghz.  I have not heard anyone opine on how well Xplane 12 even outs the workloads between the processor cores and the video card.    My underlying strategy on this stuff is to not go for the most recent top of the line components but wait until they have been around for a year or so and the price has dropped..

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys for the replies and excellent information. This is going to take some wading through and digesting, so I'll get back to you all as soon as I can. I also have another system in mind which I will post, and if it's not too much trouble get your advice. I don't want to be a burden on you guys, but reading your comments, makes me think a lot more about this. As you can see, this is a prebuilt off the shelf system, and they state it cannot be changed, so several of the things you have mentioned such as cooling I need to dig a bit deeper. I'll post the other system for your opinions, I don't think it's quite as good, but I'm NOT the expert when it comes to this. 

Thanks again 

PS. Landon AU$3500 = US$2240 (.64c au buys us$1) crappy exchange rate:angry:

 

Don 

Edited by Aussieflyer38
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay guys, here's the update, the Ryzen 9 makes my mouth water:D, but would blow the budget completely, BUT I don't see the point in spending 3500 if the extra 450 will get me a LOT more or a better running rig. Sorry to dump more on you. Thanks in advance. 

 

 

1642187160_Alliance1.JPG.100b51773a48e5b6013a7742db96047e.JPG

 

916835985_Alliance2.JPG.9558d9ffcb847b8ed69b5862c0bdba53.JPG

345828933_Alliance33950.JPG.d3d6df7cf347966dc4d243e7790a6834.JPG

 

1988942544_Alliance43950.JPG.e552697ceabe706f737d0f587e8bfa0c.JPG

I meant to mention before before, I have a 2T remote HDD 

Spending this amount of money makes me reach for the barf bag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

100% agree with Doug on the Ryzen 5800X3D vs. the Ryzen 5900x or 5950X. The 5800X3D is what I currently run. Also, if you are willing to spend the extra $450, then I would go with the 5800X3D system and either use that $450 to upgrade to a 3080 (if possible) OR bump up the RAM from 16Gb to 32Gb. To add some clarity, the 5800X3D is the newest Ryzen CPU in the 5000 line. Do not confuse it with a regular Ryzen 5800X, they are NOT the same CPU at all. In layman's terms, AMD added a supercharger to the 5800X to make the 5800X3D and it excels at gaming, to include MSFS. 

 

Also, regarding cooling, the 5800X3D system you linked appears to have a mesh front panel, whereas the second system with the 5900X looks to have a glass front panel. Not good for cooling at all. More and more the 5800X3D system looks like your best bang for the buck, but I would definitely consider 32Gb of RAM instead of 16 Gb. :) 

 

And, you are not taking up my time or bothering me by asking for our help.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

Go for it Don we all try to get the best pc to

better the experience of flight simming.

As far as the missus goes, get a divorce first

and then worry about death.:D

cheers

Gumby

I really second that (the best PC part ) Gumby :lol::lol:

 

When you have hardware that works well with MS2020, it becomes such a wonderful experience

and a great way to explore our planet.

Cheers

Pete

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, renault said:

Hi Don

 

As Paul has  mentioned Landon (Sniper31) is an excellent resource for questions related to building

His knowledge of such things is second to none.

 

You might also find the attached video helpful in your decision making.

It is comprehensive and is supported by MS2020 performance comparisons for each component discussed.

 

The machine that you are looking at is spec'd out very well and  the components included in the machine give a performance that

is in the top tier in terms of the testing results that are shown in the video.

 

Paul makes an excellent suggestion regarding the resolution that you would be using.

 

In my experience there is a very significant difference between the total computer resources required to run MS2020 well at 4K vs 1440p or 1080p.

The machine you are looking at would work extremely well at 1440p and I would think , based upon the video results also do  well at a higher resolution.

 

With respect to Vram , it is important to note that Asobo has done a lot of work now on memory management in the sim, especially in DX12.  

 

My card is a RTX3070ti with 8 GB.   My monitor resolution is 1440p.

 

During the Su10 beta I started monitoring total Vram usage as Asobo was doing a lot of work on memory management , especially 

for DX12. The utility I was using was called GPU-Z and it gives a very extensive display of GPU information in real time.  I also was using 

the fps display available in MS2020 as well , as it also gives Vram usage based upon what the sim is actually using. 

 

What I found as the algorithm was improved through the various beta iterations, was that total allocated VRam used on the card was

between 7.5- 7.8 GB.  I never got into a situation where I ran out of Vram and total Vram allocated was always within that range regardless

of where I flew.

 

What is important to note, is that the algorithm  is allocating Vram based upon what is available physically on the card. 

So with more physical  Vram available the numbers will change, but the memory management will then manage resources based on that cards

available total memory e.g. a card with 10 or 12 GB  will have more allocated and be above what the 8 GB card would have allocated.

 

Put simply, the  MS2020 memory management is working to ensure that you are able to use the sim effectively with the Vram resources you have available.

 

The difference between allocated Vram and actual Vram usage on a modern GPU is bit complicated.  This is a good article I found for

a reference if you are interested:

 

https://appuals.com/vram-allocation-vs-vram-usage-what-is-the-difference/#:~:text=Basically%2C when a game “allocates,Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

 

With respect to hard drive space, other members are correct, more is better as it is surprising how quickly it can fill up.

 

The machine you are looking has a USB-c port which is what I have on mine.  I have an  WD 4 Tb external SSD  drive which I use on this port

for XPlane and all its scenery.  It works like a charm and I never have noticed any deterioration in loading that would cause me concern.

 

It was also not that much money . I certainly could recommend that as a possible option for the future if you wanted to add additional storage space based on my experience with that approach.

 

I hope this is of help to you

All the best

Pete

 

 

 

Thanks Pete, for taking the time for this, very helpful. BIst slow getting through all this, as I had a bad day today.

 

Don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Hi Don - My PC karked it on my Birthday last week - mainly in the HDD areas (4) and since it was 4years since I last did an upgrade

and I was faced with decisions like you are facing. Also in my case Finance was a major point and no way could I afford the prices of

a new one - so I shopped around - scrapped all in the PC except memory 16GB - Bought the latest Motherboard and fitted 48GB ram (new 32)

3 SSDs- (2x1tB 1x2TB) - a new I7 with heat sink and a new Nvidia 3060 (12GB) - total cost $A1600 and it runs like #$%^ down a storm drain

I can't believe the difference - MS2020 loads so fast as I blink - and the old - well i could make a coffee and drink it waiting for the first

main screen

 

oh yes - the missus ??  - she agreed - that since it was my 87th birthday - I could spend the dosh and she would buy a cheaper URN to go

with the Cardboard Coffin:o

 

(PS I also changed the power supply to 850 which came with all new cabling and the space gained by dumping the 4HDDs gives a

massive air flow space inside the old (14years) tower

 

 

 

Thanks John, I hate to thin the trouble I would get into if I went the DIY route:wacko::D. Sorry I missed your birthday - Happy Birthday mate. Re the urn, my wife is opting for a backyard bar-b-q for me:lol:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bullfox said:

I updated my machine early this year. i have concluded that my Ryzen 3800X is fast enough most of the time, but I would benefit from something faster.  I am considering a Ryzen 5900X but am waiting for the price to come down more.  The Radeon 6800X does pretty good, with 16gb of ram.  I have a two tb m2 drive with just P3D on it.  Its about three quarters full.  I have no plans to go to MSFS but will probably go with Xplane 12 after a bit more time.  A 2tb ssd is within my price range so will probably add that, put XPlane 12 on it and add the 5900x before the end of the year.  Will see if I can overclock it to 5.0 ghz.  I have not heard anyone opine on how well Xplane 12 even outs the workloads between the processor cores and the video card.    My underlying strategy on this stuff is to not go for the most recent top of the line components but wait until they have been around for a year or so and the price has dropped..

 

Thanks mate, but if I waited for a price drop, my used by date might arrive before I got the chance to avail self of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

100% agree with Doug on the Ryzen 5800X3D vs. the Ryzen 5900x or 5950X. The 5800X3D is what I currently run. Also, if you are willing to spend the extra $450, then I would go with the 5800X3D system and either use that $450 to upgrade to a 3080 (if possible) OR bump up the RAM from 16Gb to 32Gb. To add some clarity, the 5800X3D is the newest Ryzen CPU in the 5000 line. Do not confuse it with a regular Ryzen 5800X, they are NOT the same CPU at all. In layman's terms, AMD added a supercharger to the 5800X to make the 5800X3D and it excels at gaming, to include MSFS. 

 

Also, regarding cooling, the 5800X3D system you linked appears to have a mesh front panel, whereas the second system with the 5900X looks to have a glass front panel. Not good for cooling at all. More and more the 5800X3D system looks like your best bang for the buck, but I would definitely consider 32Gb of RAM instead of 16 Gb. :) 

 

And, you are not taking up my time or bothering me by asking for our help.

 

Thanks Landon, great advice and I really appreciate it. Further question. Depending what it costs, I might opt for a different case with better ventilation, and more RAM. Is the ASUS ROG STRIK LC ..... A10 liquid CPU Cooler not enough for cooling? And I forgot to mention, my rig sits three feet off the floor (timber), and in a airconditioned room, so that should help?    

Regards,  Don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bassman said:

Both systems have Liquid CPU cooling which is definitely a postive.

 

Thanks mate, my computer tech knowledge is close to 0, so when I read that and Landon telling me how important it is, helped heaps.:)

 

Don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

in my opinion, and I have been building my own PC's for a long while now liquid cooling and good ventilation is a must....we had a hot summer by UK standards and mine never missed a beat...I have a mesh front on my tower, 2 NOCTUA fans sucking in the fresh air, and exhaust fan at the rear and two fans with my double liquid cooling Corsair radiator at the top, oh and there's one cooling the PSU too, does a great job when using complex flightsim stuff.......like Landon said cooling is often overlooked......I tend to go for not the latest thing that's just come out but maybe what it's replacing, if you look around you can sometimes get some great deals....I will say though that I am not one for looking at benchmarks and graphs, I just like to look at the smoothness of whatever I am using, flightsim, racing game or good old FIFA, I also think a great tip is to get as much storage as you can, it's quite reasonably priced now , take advantage of any M.2 slots you may have, I have one for the OS and one for Xplane 12, along with 2 x 4TB drives, one for MSFS and one for P3D / Steam....

 

 you must also remember for everyone that says this component is great there'll always someone that says it is great, do your homework, listen to voices you trust and buy what your budget allows, remember a well-matched CPU/GPU package is just as important or one will drag the other back....

 

best of luck with whatever you get and hopefully your downloads won't take forever...

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All this talk about cooling made me look at my own pc :rolleyes:

 

Seems I have a 360mm Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT cooler in a Corsair Obsidian 750D high airflow case with a Corsair RM1000x 80PLUS GOLD power supply. 

 

It supports the call for good cooling from the guys. Mine has been fine this past year and more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

 

Thanks Pete, for taking the time for this, very helpful. BIst slow getting through all this, as I had a bad day today.

 

Don

No worries Don.

I'm pleased you found it informative.

Sometimes just getting ones head around information to gain a general understanding of a subject

is difficult.

That's why we're so lucky here to have folks like Landon, Paul and Wayne to help us.

 

Hope the next day is better :)

Cheers

Pete

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, renault said:

No worries Don.

I'm pleased you found it informative.

Sometimes just getting ones head around information to gain a general understanding of a subject

is difficult.

That's why we're so lucky here to have folks like Landon, Paul and Wayne to help us.

 

Hope the next day is better :)

Cheers

Pete

And Doug @Doug Sawatzky as well !

Sorry Doug for missing you on the list. 

I am amazed at your setup.  Never thought one ran without a case except

for a test setup.  It is very cool to see :)

Cheers

Pete

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Thanks Landon, great advice and I really appreciate it. Further question. Depending what it costs, I might opt for a different case with better ventilation, and more RAM. Is the ASUS ROG STRIK LC ..... A10 liquid CPU Cooler not enough for cooling? And I forgot to mention, my rig sits three feet off the floor (timber), and in a airconditioned room, so that should help?    

Regards,  Don

Okay Don, just getting on my PC this morning and having some coffee. To answer your questions, YES, the ASUS cooler that comes with that system is suitable enough, but WITH a well ventilated case. Coolers like that ASUS all in one cooler keep the CPU cool, but NOT the rest of the system. They are specifically designed that way. That is why the case ventilation and fan setup is so important. There are multiple components in the case that produce a LOT of heat, not just the CPU and GPU. The motherboard and RAM produce heat, and so do any other components like drives and such. Today's motherboards, RAM and M.2 drives get really hot. HHD's produce a ton of heat too, but as we have transition to more SSD's, those produce much less heat. And then there is the power supply, another huge heat source. Now, the CPU has it's own cooler, GPU's have decent cooling setups on them with fans, heat sinks and heat pipes (that is why modern GPU card is so friggin' thick now), and power supply's have their fan as well. But, your system needs to pull cool air INTO the system to both cool the motherboard, RAM and drives, and also so that the GPU has cool air to pull from. THEN, your case needs a way to vent that warm air out of the case. There are many configurations that will achieve this. Having no case like Doug is one of the coolest methods, but that is not always practical for every situation. The most common method is to have a case that is vented in the front with fans mounted in the front that pull air into the case. 2-3 case fans in the front is usually the setup now. Then, you have more fan(s) mounted at the back meshed area to help push warm air out. But, having more vented areas like the bottom allow your case to have even more fans to push warm air out that way too. So, the best scenario, if you are not running caseless like Doug, is to have a case that maximizes on open ventilation on as many sides of the case as possible, and also allows lots of case fan mounting options. The good news here is that you don't need to have all these fan slots filled when you buy the system, as they are relatively cheap (compared to other system components) and easy to add down the road. As long as you can find a case that comes with a few fans to get you started, AND a good CPU all in one cooler, then you are on a good path for cooling. 

 

And yes, absolutely, it makes a big difference having your rig in an air conditioned room and also off the floor like you have. We ask a lot from our flight sim rigs, so putting those rigs into the best conditions we can is always a plus. 

 

I hope this is not too much information for you. I can get get really into the weeds on cooling it someone wants me to, so if I am overloading you, please let me know :) 

 

Cheers!

Landon

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, renault said:

Never thought one ran without a case except

for a test setup. 

 

Ya, it works so good and so easy to do anything with, and almost no restrictions that I will never build another flight sim PC any other way again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Landon, thanks for all that info, that's really interesting, whilst i knew cooling was important, I didn't realise it was THAT important re air flow and the like. I'm on the case hunt right now, so will get back to you on what I think might do. The bonus here is what I'm learning. Thanks again for your help.

 

Don  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Computer Alliance Logo
1517 Logan Rd, Mt Gravatt,
Configuration Price (includes assembly and 3 year warranty)
$3170

Alliance Ryzen 5 5600X RX6650XT Gaming PC

package_1647.jpg
Alliance Ryzen 5 5600X RX6650XT Gaming PC

If you would like to customise this configuration, click on the below Component Categories and make your selections. Once you have finished customising your new Desktop, click the Save Config button to add it to your Cart, where you can either complete the Checkout process, or save the configuration as a quote. If you would like assistance in customizing your new PC, please don’t hesitate to call our expert sales staff on 07 3421 3200 or by emailing sales@computeralliance.com.au.

Core Components

Desktop RAM
 
Hard Drives (2.5")
Optical Drives
Sound Cards
Network Adapters
Wi-Fi Adapters (Internal)
Operating System
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Don,
 
I don't know if these guys are any good, but I did a quick spec for you. I think they are based near Brisbane and the cost is in your budget.
 
If it's worthwhile, then perhaps Landon (and others) could comment on and improve the spec?
 
Regards
 
Paul
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@paulb I believe the last two systems Don posted for us to look at were from that same company Paul, so I do think he is aware of them. But, I don't want to speak for Don, so I'll let him confirm. And speaking of, of those last two systems Don had us look at from Alliance, the 5800X3D system still looks the best of these options listed in this thread. The one you linked is close, but there are a few things I don't like about it that the OTHER 5800X3D system from Alliance that Don posted has. Specifically, I am not a fan of the B550M motherboard, and it also has no NVMe M.2 drives, and instead includes a SATA drive. Admittedly, a nice large one, but still a SATA drive. As I mentioned to Don somewhere above, I think it better to go with an NVMe drive in the system to put MSFS on, and then a large capacity SSD for Windows and other storage and apps. And then, if more storage is required, you can always add an external SATA USB drive if needed (or more SSD's or another NVMe drive). The earlier Alliance 5800X3D system that Don linked has all of that, plus a better motherboard.

 

Just some things I noticed :) Got to commend your effort though, looking for a vendor local to Don and setting up a possible system. Super good of you!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

@paulb I believe the last two systems Don posted for us to look at were from that same company Paul, so I do think he is aware of them. But, I don't want to speak for Don, so I'll let him confirm. And speaking of, of those last two systems Don had us look at from Alliance, the 5800X3D system still looks the best of these options listed in this thread. The one you linked is close, but there are a few things I don't like about it that the OTHER 5800X3D system from Alliance that Don posted has. Specifically, I am not a fan of the B550M motherboard, and it also has no NVMe M.2 drives, and instead includes a SATA drive. Admittedly, a nice large one, but still a SATA drive. As I mentioned to Don somewhere above, I think it better to go with an NVMe drive in the system to put MSFS on, and then a large capacity SSD for Windows and other storage and apps. And then, if more storage is required, you can always add an external SATA USB drive if needed (or more SSD's or another NVMe drive). The earlier Alliance 5800X3D system that Don linked has all of that, plus a better motherboard.

 

Just some things I noticed :) Got to commend your effort though, looking for a vendor local to Don and setting up a possible system. Super good of you!

 

Thanks Landon :). On the site you can basically design your own model. That's what I did, only took me about ten minutes. I don't mind having another go if you can make specific suggestions? I added the SATA drive only because it was cheap and I was trying to keep the cost down and close to Au $3,000. I have no idea about motherboards!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Paul

@Sniper31

Kudo's to you in finding a "local" for Don :)

 

I've copied Landon as he would know what the power consumption of the processor would be,

 

Looking at the specs the only thing that pops out at me is the power supply wattage . 

I have a 3070ti and it is a really nice card for 1440p .  It also takes a surprising amount of power , compared to the RTX 3070.

 

It is rated at max power draw of  290 watts and the following screenshot of a stress test I did on my system

shows at 98% utilization at 60 fps, it is using 282 watts, so I believe the max of 290 is correct.

 

Stress-Test-Screenshot-365.jpg

 

 

My processor is a i7 9700k which takes 95w max.  I'm a little concerned that a 750w psu might be a bit light and possibly a 850w would be a better fit

I defer to Landon's expertise on this , if he could advise please.

 

Cheers

Pete

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@renault You are not off the range with that thought at all Pete. A 750w PSU would be what I would consider the bare minimum for that build, but I personally would feel much more comfortable with an 850w PSU. The 750 does not allow for much headroom at all to upgrade the video card at a later date, or if you start adding other components (more fans, storage options) than you could could get real close to using all of the 750w capacity up and not leaving much room for spikes, which DO happen. Just something to consider.

 

Landon

Edited by Sniper31
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Computer Alliance Logo
1517 Logan Rd, Mt Gravatt,

Configuration Price (includes assembly and 3 year warranty)

$3279

Core Components

SSD Drives (Internal)
 
Hard Drives (3.5")
 
Hard Drives (2.5")
 
Case Fans
 
Optical Drives
Sound Cards
Wi-Fi Adapters (Internal)
 
Operating System
 
My second and last attempt for Don :). $3,279
 
Maybe it needs an extra case fan? What do you guys think?
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is a much better build Paul, BUT, the biggest problem is the case. If you Google the case, you will find that is a tempered glass case with only a very small strip of front ventilation and no side ventilation. There does not appear to be any bottom ventilation either, although the top is nicely ventilated. And, as you pointed out, there are no case fans whatsoever included, so Don would have to have those added. But, the storage options are much better as is the motherboard selection. :) And, you kept the price within his range still too. If we could just find the right system build with a good case for him, we would be golden. We keep tap dancing around the final answer :D 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, paulb said:
Computer Alliance Logo
1517 Logan Rd, Mt Gravatt,
Configuration Price (includes assembly and 3 year warranty)
$3170

Alliance Ryzen 5 5600X RX6650XT Gaming PC

package_1647.jpg
Alliance Ryzen 5 5600X RX6650XT Gaming PC

If you would like to customise this configuration, click on the below Component Categories and make your selections. Once you have finished customising your new Desktop, click the Save Config button to add it to your Cart, where you can either complete the Checkout process, or save the configuration as a quote. If you would like assistance in customizing your new PC, please don’t hesitate to call our expert sales staff on 07 3421 3200 or by emailing sales@computeralliance.com.au.

Core Components

Desktop RAM
 
Hard Drives (2.5")
Optical Drives
Sound Cards
Network Adapters
Wi-Fi Adapters (Internal)
Operating System
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Don,
 
I don't know if these guys are any good, but I did a quick spec for you. I think they are based near Brisbane and the cost is in your budget.
 
If it's worthwhile, then perhaps Landon (and others) could comment on and improve the spec?
 
Regards
 
Paul
 

 

Thanks Paul, I've just been chatting with these guys. My rig I have now, I got from there. The company my wife worked for got all there stuff from there and Andrew their IT guy spec'ed it for me at that time. I've made some changes to the one I thought would be good and within the budget, (which I blew:wacko::P Andrew has gone onto greener pastures, (I Hope), nice guy, so I've had to rely on you guys to help me out, which you have done, above and beyond, thanks a million.

 

Don

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys, here is the latest, which I hope will work, and I can stop hounding you guys and wasting your precious flying time:) Just hoping I don't mess up the pics, I've taken so many screenies.

 

1682218055_Screenshot(1044).thumb.png.68f880044862c41e506806e92362cd81.png

 

1888517456_Alliancefinalquote.JPG.f9d224366712d392b68cd3ba0471a06c.JPG

 

As you can see, I've changed the case, which has front, rear, and bottom vents not sure about the other side, forgot to ask, increased the SSD to 2Tb added a 3Tb HDD, the graphics card to a 3080 and the power to 850 watts. Now I'm broke, but I think I'm a gonna like it:D Don't ask how much:wacko:

Let me know what you think.

 

Don

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

That is a much better build Paul, BUT, the biggest problem is the case. If you Google the case, you will find that is a tempered glass case with only a very small strip of front ventilation and no side ventilation. There does not appear to be any bottom ventilation either, although the top is nicely ventilated. And, as you pointed out, there are no case fans whatsoever included, so Don would have to have those added. But, the storage options are much better as is the motherboard selection. :) And, you kept the price within his range still too. If we could just find the right system build with a good case for him, we would be golden. We keep tap dancing around the final answer :D 

 

 Thanks Landon, I have to say it, you guys are the best, taking the time to help me like this. Your points are noted and important, I have changed the case to one with better ventilation and two fans. When you have time, check the latest changes and what you think.

 

Don  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...