Newcastle Departure.

FILOU

On 9/14/2022 at 11:44 PM, renault said:

You've captured the essence of flight in this one :)

So, with all your activity, could you share any first impressions you

might have of the #12 version . 

It looks like you are enjoying it very much!

Cheers

Pete

Thank you .

I have to make a comparison but it doesn't bother me...I spent 20 hours a week using msfs 2020 for two years without going back.I bought X-Plane12 for the support of the team and also out of curiosity.My first impression honest and without marketing politeness is that X-Plane 12 has less of the "Playmobil" effect.MSFS is extraordinary thanks to its aerial images which cover the whole world but there is a huge imbalance .

Big points to improve.

-MSFS Weather and Clouds (Live Weather). A mess . For me it is not good at all / X-Plane 12 (Live Weather) : Good with better balance with variations depending on temperature and different weather conditions. Mist effects are variable. There is still work

-MSFS: The luminosity rendering in bad weather (Live Weather) too dark. High altitudes (Live Weather)too white / X-Plane12 :The luminosity rendering in bad weather  Much better (Live Weather) and to white in hight altitude.

-MSFS: Color of the earth in many conditions (live weather) pistachio green color and others whose names I don't even know./ X-Plane12: Much better.With Orbx TrueEarth or Ortho it's very realistic we have the impression of being there.True harmonious color.It feels good.

-MSFS : Too much blur and the absence of autogen at too short distance but are the reasons for high fps/ X-Plane 12: More sharper at long distance, no blur effect.Try to zoom with msfs and then with X-Plane12 you will understand immediately but heavier on X-Plane FPS.

-MSFS: Taxiing behavior of aircraft on the ground too sensitive / X-Plane 12: Planes are heavy I love it!

There would still be a lot of things to say but I will stop there.This is my personal feeling only.

We have on one side a modern simulator which lacks realism because of its imbalance and on the other a classic simulator full of realism thanks to its balance and with Ortho or TrueEarth use.

overall MSFS looks prettier overall but with an undeniable  GTA effect and X-Plane 12 is much less pretty but with an undeniable realistic effect.

Anyway the best simulator is in my head...

I couldn't resist posting a photo of Fresno Yosemite Airport (Orbx) 29R with X-Plane12 and the gorgeous Citation X.

Joo0LnU.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks FILOU

"Anyway the best simulator is in my head...":)

I like the comment a lot. Truer words have never been spoken

I appreciate the detail of your response.  Both products  are just that to me.  Separate products that do flight simulation well in their own way and with

their own limitations.

But both offer both advantages and disadvantages as you mention

I think it is unrealistic to assume that ultimately only one will be satisfactory to everyone.

Each has its strong points and each has its weakness.

So I agree with you completely

Because my "hobby interest in simulation" is as much writing my own shaders to adjust colour fidelity  the way to

my personal enjoyment I have learned a lot about both lighting and colour adjustments.

My observation is that it is the same as it is in very good quality digital cameras. Most of the time they work very well with

automatic settings.

However, automatic adjustment algorithms for things such as exposure always will have manual adjustments for

exposure compensations

The same applies for flight simulation. Both do a good job - it would be nice if they each incorporated the ability to fine

tune the image to your personal likeness as sometimes the conditions are too difficult for the algorithm to determine

an average setting that works well.   

Thank you again for your informed and realistic assessment

I will take the plunge and make it again a part of my  collection

All the best 

Pete

PS - the final image does show their improvements  at their finest.

It is a wonderfully realistic image:)

• Like 1