Help with the Kodiak

Aussieflyer38

Hi guys, just curious if any of you flying the Kodiak 100 is having this problem. If I want to have just a quick flight - CTRL + E start up and not going through the whole C&D start up procedure, my PDF and ND don't fire up, I just have fogged screens. Start from cold & dark all good, everything works. Anyone else having this problem and know how to fix it. All help appreciated, thanks.

Don 

• Like 1

Hi Don

Sorry I misread your original question.

I can confirm what you are asking as the same happens to me.

It seems to be a bug with the brightness of the screens.

If you start from cold and dark, regardless of time of day the screen brightness is very readable , although 

on mine, the controls don't change anything.

If you start with crtl + E, or using Nicks suggestion to start on a runway, all the systems are on, but the screens are so dim

as to be non readable.  It only is if it is dark outside, that they look ok,

And yes, I would agree that they look "fogged" but I think it is because they are not illuminating properly and are very dim.

Have you checked the developers website to see if there is any info there.

It is now very early in the morning where I live, so I  try to have a look later today when I am up again.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

Hi Don

I was finally able to find a video that was of help.

It is for the Working Title version of the Garmin 1000 , but the instructions

at timestamp 5:24 do give guidance on how to set screen brightness and I was able to get it to work with the 

Kodiak default 

Spoiler alert :

For someone like myself with very limited skills with such things  , I found this to be very, very confusing

and the most frustrating thing I have ever tried to do.

There is nothing at Simworks Studio's website , except for a vague comment in the frequently asked questions section

which suggests turning the panel brightness knobs. This does nothing on my  version ( I have it updated through Orbx Central so I assume it is the latest).

What I found worked for me is to have both the sim running with the display zoomed in and also the video loaded in a browser.

I had to go over and over and over the instructions to get it to work.

Basically you press the menu button on the display and then the enter button and you will get the following  menu popup as shown in the screenshots.  I eventually set mine to be on auto at 100% (with a lot of button pushing e.g. try this and see if the darned thing will work)

Basically the buttons are the ent key just below menu and the outer button on the FMS knob below the menu  which will move the selection

through to auto .

You then press the ent key and it switches it to manual 

Then you move the outer button again to go to the 100  which is the brightness value

Then if you turn the inner knob on the fms knob this value will change

You can leave it set at this , i.e. with a manual setting or do what I did and use the outer knob to put it back to auto.

You need to rotate the outer knob to cycle through the MFD/PFD Displ settings to get back the PDF manual setting

Then if you push ent it will switch it to auto again.

What is shown in the two screenshots is that I was able to set it up to work in auto and the screens brightness for me at 100 is good for both 

4:00 am and also at noon, which is what the two represent.  I found that you can also set it to a lower value for both items and switch to auto

and that seems t work also.

I have no idea how to get out of the setup menu as everything I tried didn't work.:(

As I said at the beginning I have no skills with aircraft that have this level of complexity.

Its enough to make me go back to my default cessna 152 or the Goose which are very old school I know Don, 

but I am strictly a very much armchair pilot.  

I appreciate that there are other members who are very much skilled with all of these options and I admire you greatly

for the skills you have and the enjoyment you get from flying and programming these systems.

Its just not moi, and  very much  beyond my pay grade which is why i stick with very basic aircraft.

I hope this will be of help to you.

Better yet , if there are any members who actually are experts with this system, I and Don would sincerely appreciate your help.

Jack @Jack Sawyer is this something you understand and could help with please ?  Thanks! 

Cheers Don

All the best

Pete

4:00 am

1-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-08-09-50-40.j

Noon
2-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-08-09-51-06.j

Edited by renault
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Pete and Don.  I don’t have this plane with the G1000 so I’m not sure how much is modeled.  What Pete described is correct though but Pete, as for getting out of the settings, depending on how it’s modeled as I mentioned, on the “Soft Keys,” (the up arrow buttons along the bottom) there should be a “Back” button selection.  Keep clicking on that and you’ll be back to the original screen.  But like I said, I don’t have this plane, I don’t think I want though it as it’s not my cup of tea.  Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Pete and Don.  I don’t have this plane with the G1000 so I’m not sure how much is modeled.  What Pete described is correct though but Pete, as for getting out of the settings, depending on how it’s modeled as I mentioned, on the “Soft Keys,” (the up arrow buttons along the bottom) there should be a “Back” button selection.  Keep clicking on that and you’ll be back to the original screen.  But like I said, I don’t have this plane, I don’t think I want though it as it’s not my cup of tea.  Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Thanks Jack

It is very much appreciated.  I was able to get to a back button, but it seems to control other things  and did nothing for the brightness dialogue

I found that if you shut the sim down (i.e,  go back to the main menu) it does get rid of that dialogue though.

Also I found if  you push the nrst key, multiple times it cycles through and then gets rid of the brightness menu which isn't very intuitive 

although it did leave one line with some information about that system on the screen.

Your suggestion was logical and made sense to me.

Thanks again for your assistance.  I thought if anyone here would understand such things it would be you and I was right :)

It just seems that some parts of this product are not quite modeled completely to  the real life counterpart though is perhaps the

best explanation.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, renault said:

Hi Don

I have never experienced this.  But I don't start using crtl + E

I found this video and I always start using the procedure described in the video

Perhaps you could try this and see if you still have the fogging issue.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete, I don't have a problem starting/flying from cold and dark state, everything works, it only happens if I CTRL+E. so I'll just do the proper way from C&D.

Saw your second post, and yep I have watched that, LOL, now that's something I haven't done yet, but there's still time:D

Don  

9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Jack, I didn't know about the back button, I'll check it out, as I said to Pete, I don't think I'll worry about it, once you get to do the start routine, it really doesn't take that long. Jack this really is a great plane, don't write it off just yet, you can have a lot of fun with it. :D  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Don,

you are doing better than I can.

This is what happens to me if I try Ctrl + E

Yep that's it Nick, exactly, thats what I get with CTRL+E, it must be some sort of software fault/glitch.  So I've decided to just go with cold & dark starts. I have not been able to contact SWS for any clarification.

Don

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Thanks Jack, I didn't know about the back button, I'll check it out, as I said to Pete, I don't think I'll worry about it, once you get to do the start routine, it really doesn't take that long. Jack this really is a great plane, don't write it off just yet, you can have a lot of fun with it. :D  

I might but I like to keep only a few planes.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, renault said:

Hi Don

I was finally able to find a video that was of help.

It is for the Working Title version of the Garmin 1000 , but the instructions

at timestamp 5:24 do give guidance on how to set screen brightness and I was able to get it to work with the 

Kodiak default 

Spoiler alert :

For someone like myself with very limited skills with such things  , I found this to be very, very confusing

and the most frustrating thing I have ever tried to do.

There is nothing at Simworks Studio's website , except for a vague comment in the frequently asked questions section

which suggests turning the panel brightness knobs. This does nothing on my  version ( I have it updated through Orbx Central so I assume it is the latest).

What I found worked for me is to have both the sim running with the display zoomed in and also the video loaded in a browser.

I had to go over and over and over the instructions to get it to work.

Basically you press the menu button on the display and then the enter button and you will get the following  menu popup as shown in the screenshots.  I eventually set mine to be on auto at 100% (with a lot of button pushing e.g. try this and see if the darned thing will work)

Basically the buttons are the ent key just below menu and the outer button on the FMS knob below the menu  which will move the selection

through to auto .

You then press the ent key and it switches it to manual 

Then you move the outer button again to go to the 100  which is the brightness value

Then if you turn the inner knob on the fms knob this value will change

You can leave it set at this , i.e. with a manual setting or do what I did and use the outer knob to put it back to auto.

You need to rotate the outer knob to cycle through the MFD/PFD Displ settings to get back the PDF manual setting

Then if you push ent it will switch it to auto again.

What is shown in the two screenshots is that I was able to set it up to work in auto and the screens brightness for me at 100 is good for both 

4:00 am and also at noon, which is what the two represent.  I found that you can also set it to a lower value for both items and switch to auto

and that seems t work also.

I have no idea how to get out of the setup menu as everything I tried didn't work.:(

As I said at the beginning I have no skills with aircraft that have this level of complexity.

Its enough to make me go back to my default cessna 152 or the Goose which are very old school I know Don, 

but I am strictly a very much armchair pilot.  

I appreciate that there are other members who are very much skilled with all of these options and I admire you greatly

for the skills you have and the enjoyment you get from flying and programming these systems.

Its just not moi, and  very much  beyond my pay grade which is why i stick with very basic aircraft.

I hope this will be of help to you.

Better yet , if there are any members who actually are experts with this system, I and Don would sincerely appreciate your help.

Jack @Jack Sawyer is this something you understand and could help with please ?  Thanks! 

Cheers Don

All the best

Pete

4:00 am

1-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-08-09-50-40.j

Noon
2-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-08-09-51-06.j

Pete you have so much more patience than I have, there is no way I would have gone through all that, thank you for trying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1