Orbx Central & X-Plane 12?

COFlyer

Just installed X-Plane 12 and I would like to figure out how to install my scenery on it through Orbx Central. I'm under the impression that Orbx would have been in the alpha/beta testing several months in advance of the release of the public beta, and may have figured out compatibility by now...

Central needs to know where the registry entries for each sim are located. When a new sim is installed, it probably needs to be prompted to go look for the new entries. If XPlane 12 doesn't appear in Orbx Central, that's where I'd be searching for information. The legacy support forums have posts explaining how to update registry information. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, craigeaglefire said:

what we are wondering is if our XP Orbx Central sceneries are actually compatible with XP12 now...

I think time will tell. Orbx has always strived to move sceneries with new versions but it's not always possible. The scenery will always work with the version of the program that it was released for. If it works on a newer version, that can be seen as a bonus. 

• Like 1

This should help 

In the link it is mentioned that the new water effects are currently being worked on by Orbx to allow the new effects to work on Orbx scenery.

Trees are also different and may need rework. None of this info is "insider" knowledge just based on what I have read or watched regarding XP12.

@COFlyer Do you still have XP11 installed with a Custom Scenery folder in tact?

If so then just symbolic link that existing Custom Scenery folder to your new XP 12 directory and delete the Custom Scenery folder that XP 12 created.

This way you don't have to reinstall anything, and it will allow you to see for yourself what works OK.

When you are satisfied with what you think works and what doesn't then you can decide whether to do a new installation of your addons directly into XP12

Please note that Laminar did express that any new version of XP must be at least one back version compatible to allow addons to be compatible. There will be exceptions where a completely new component is introduced like the new water.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, John Dow said:

Central needs to know where the registry entries for each sim are located. When a new sim is installed, it probably needs to be prompted to go look for the new entries. If XPlane 12 doesn't appear in Orbx Central, that's where I'd be searching for information. The legacy support forums have posts explaining how to update registry information. 

Yes, that's the information I'm looking for. I can't get Orbx Central to look for the new install.

Hello,

X Plane 11, by the way, does not use the "registry" at all.

Orbx Central finds it by reading C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\x-plane_install_11.txt.

That gives it the location and then it must also find a copy of X-Plane.exe there.

It seems highly unlikely that X Plane 12 would use the same file names and until Orbx Central is

told where to look, it will not find it.

I am sure that an enterprising customer could cobble together a workaround based on that information.

It might even work, who knows? :)

Naturally, it would be entirely unsupported.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just tried some TrueEarth sceneries and they definitely seem to work fine. However you miss out on some of the XP12 improvements, most noticeably the trees still have that XP11 radioactive glow when backlit and they aren't as detailed as the XP12 stock trees. Hopefully improvements will be made later as XP12 nears its full release.

• Like 3

On 9/6/2022 at 2:35 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

X Plane 11, by the way, does not use the "registry" at all.

Orbx Central finds it by reading C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\x-plane_install_11.txt.

That gives it the location and then it must also find a copy of X-Plane.exe there.

It seems highly unlikely that X Plane 12 would use the same file names and until Orbx Central is

told where to look, it will not find it.

I am sure that an enterprising customer could cobble together a workaround based on that information.

It might even work, who knows? :)

Duplicating the C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\x-plane_install_12.txt file and renaming it x-plane_install_11.txt allowed me to install the Orbx XP11 software that I own via Orbx Central.

N.B. I don't have XP11 installed so I can do this without any issues. YMMV. I do not recommend this solution if you have XP11 installed!!!

15 hours ago, JimmiG said:

Just tried some TrueEarth sceneries and they definitely seem to work fine. However you miss out on some of the XP12 improvements, most noticeably the trees still have that XP11 radioactive glow when backlit and they aren't as detailed as the XP12 stock trees. Hopefully improvements will be made later as XP12 nears its full release.

The radio active glow is the sim and not any TE content, but trees  in TE addons remain as they were. My understanding is that if trees were default trees in XP11 addons, then they would be replaced by the new 3D ones, but TE addons use Terra Flora tress ad so they remain as in XP11. This maybe something that is being looked at but I have no knowledge to date on this.

1 hour ago, Jon Clarke said:

The radio active glow is the sim and not any TE content, but trees  in TE addons remain as they were. My understanding is that if trees were default trees in XP11 addons, then they would be replaced by the new 3D ones, but TE addons use Terra Flora tress ad so they remain as in XP11. This maybe something that is being looked at but I have no knowledge to date on this.

Yeah now that the stock trees look much better and integrate better with the lighting than TF trees, it makes sense to just switch to default trees for TE. At least until TF has also been updated for the XP12 lighting engine.

I haven't seen many trees on the Canary Islands, so am I doing something wrong? Just made shortcuts to the individual TE and Libs scenery folders, then pasted those into the XP12 Custom Scenery folder. Should I copy the folders over instead?

So now it's just a case of replacing the old trees with XP12 default or designing new ones, and changing water masks to allow for the 3D water? Any other default objects that need replacing?

Can somebody please write a series of steps to be able to point the custom scenery to the Xplane 11 folder please? 

I am confused as to why Orbx has to be so secret about their plans for X Plane 12. 

4 hours ago, Mawson said:

Can somebody please write a series of steps to be able to point the custom scenery to the Xplane 11 folder please? 

I am confused as to why Orbx has to be so secret about their plans for X Plane 12. 

They are not secret - see Anna's reply to questions in the right place - ------ and trees are discussed as well

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

here are four entirely unsupported ways to load all of your Orbx products into X Plane 12.

Method 1.

To be used if you do not have X Plane 11 or any Orbx products installed.

Go to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local.

There you will see x-plane_install_12.txt

Rename it to x-plane_install_11.txt

Open Orbx Central and it will recognise your X Plane 12 installation as X Plane 11.

You can then install any previously uninstalled Orbx products.

When you have finished, rename the text file back to x-plane_install_12.txt

Method 2.

To be used if you no longer have X Plane 11 installed.
It requires that you have installed your Orbx products into an Orbx Central Library.

Open Orbx Central and it will recognise your X Plane 12 installation as X Plane 11.

Run Orbx Central\Settings\Help\Sync Simulator.

Method 3.

To be used if you have both X Plane 11 and X Plane 12 installed.

It requires that you have installed your Orbx products into an Orbx Central Library.

You will see x-plane_install_11.txt, temporarily rename it to x-plane_install_11xx.txt.

Rename x-plane_install_12.txt to x-plane_install_11.txt

Open Orbx Central for X Plane 11 and run Sync Simulator.

Rename the two text files back to x-plane_install_11.txt and x-plane_install_12.txt

Method 4.

To be used if you installed all of your products into X Plane 11\Custom Scenery.

Copy or make links of all of the contents  of X Plane 11\Custom Scenery into X Plane 12\Custom Scenery

Note: this link appears to give the location of the x-plane_install_1x.txt file in OSX and Linux

How To Programmatically Locate X-Plane on the Hard Drive - X-Plane Developer

A reminder, these are workarounds and not supported by Orbx.

Please do not post support requests or submit support tickets for anomalies that you might see.

Orbx are aware of the incompatibilities and will work to remedy them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

Just an addendum to Nick's comprehensive instructions:

If you add/remove or reinstall anything via Orbx Central, your scenery_packs.ini file may remove the SCENERY_PACK *GLOBAL AIRPORTS* entry - which usually goes below all airport entries and above any Custom, Overlay or Ortho entries.

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

Just an addendum to Nick's comprehensive instructions:

If you add/remove or reinstall anything via Orbx Central, your scenery_packs.ini file may remove the SCENERY_PACK *GLOBAL AIRPORTS* entry - which usually goes below all airport entries and above any Custom, Overlay or Ortho entries.

Thanks Adam. Would you have a view as to what the likely impact would be, if this entry wasn’t manually moved as you state?  The reason I ask is because I followed Nick’s ‘method 2’, this letting Orbx Central dictate the ini file.

Edited by AndyWsays
Typo
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AndyWsays said:

Thanks Adam. Would you have a view as to what the likely impact would be, if this entry wasn’t manually moved as you state?  The reason I ask is because I followed Nick’s ‘method 2’, this letting Orbx Central dictate the ini file.

To be perfectly honest - I don't know!! As with many things in the sim world, there's lots of conflicting views and/or advice out there.

However - as Orbx Central (in its current form) doesn't fully support XP12, I'd be more inclined to think that leaving that line out is an undesirable side-effect. Also - as regards *ordering* within the ini file - I'm not sure whether it's important in v12 or whether it does its own internal re-ordering. I've not done enough tests to know one way or another.

v12 is an early release beta, so we're all learning as we go.

35 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

To be perfectly honest - I don't know!! As with many things in the sim world, there's lots of conflicting views and/or advice out there.

However - as Orbx Central (in its current form) doesn't fully support XP12, I'd be more inclined to think that leaving that line out is an undesirable side-effect. Also - as regards *ordering* within the ini file - I'm not sure whether it's important in v12 or whether it does its own internal re-ordering. I've not done enough tests to know one way or another.

v12 is an early release beta, so we're all learning as we go.

Agreed.  Lots to learn, and thanks for your advice, it’s appreciated.  I have to say X Plane 12, even in its beta state + Orbx True Earth (Not officially supported) is already a winning combination.  Some of the flights I have had thus far have been beyond my imagination:  Flying the 172 around True Earth South, where I am learning to fly IRL, and low and slow over True Earth Canary Islands in the first officially compatible payware XP12 plane (Maule M-7-235B).  Happy flying :-)

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 4:42 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

here are four entirely unsupported ways to load all of your Orbx products into X Plane 12.

Very good thankyou and I look forward to all the X-Plane 12 updates and new sceneries as the great benefit of X plane 12 is the living world!

I am thinking of getting XP12 soon. I have XP11 currently. The posts by Nick and others above are very helpful.

XP11 is installed on a 2TB drive with 900GB free.

My Orbx scenery is installed in XP11/custom scenery.

I want to keep using XP11 for now.

I would like to install XP12 onto that same drive. Also I also have a different 1TB drive (almost empty).

I have six Orbx true earth scenery products and related airports.

Would it be best for me to uninstall my scenery, create a new folder on that 2TB drive - called say 'scenery' and then download the Orbx scenery again into that new folder?

Thanks for any help :)

Nick-I am not in a rush for my part 

Enjoying trying X Plane 12

Would I be right in thinking that in due course Orbx scenery will be come available for X Plane 12 and Orbx Central will find the new sim?

Patience is required 

xxd09

Hello,

I just bought CAK3 and PS01 Quatam River Airport, unfortunately PS01 doesn't appear in the airport selection field.

One time I installed it in the library  and second time also in the Scenery folder directly, but without effect.

No problem with all the other airports from Orbx e.g. LOWI or LFLJ

Also the Machmell and Allan Burrows Island from Propstrike Studio are working without problems

Do you have hint what I can do ?

• Like 1

I found out what the reason is that it doesn't show up in the list:

In the SCENERY_PACK file entry  SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_Quatam_River_Airport/

must be above of the SCENERY_PACK *GLOBAL_AIRPORTS* entry.

Now it works :-) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 4:42 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

Method 1.

To be used if you do not have X Plane 11 or any Orbx products installed.

You can then install any previously uninstalled Orbx products.

Method 2.

To be used if you no longer have X Plane 11 installed.

Run Orbx Central\Settings\Help\Sync Simulator.

Method 3.

To be used if you have both X Plane 11 and X Plane 12 installed.

You will see x-plane_install_11.txt, temporarily rename it to x-plane_install_11xx.txt.

Rename x-plane_install_12.txt to x-plane_install_11.txt

Open Orbx Central for X Plane 11 and run Sync Simulator.

Rename the two text files back to x-plane_install_11.txt and x-plane_install_12.txt

Method 4.

To be used if you installed all of your products into X Plane 11\Custom Scenery.

Copy or make links of all of the contents  of X Plane 11\Custom Scenery into X Plane 12\Custom Scenery

A reminder, these are workarounds and not supported by Orbx.

Please do not post support requests or submit support tickets for anomalies that you might see.

Orbx are aware of the incompatibilities and will work to remedy them.

Hello, I tried method 1 as I only have MSFS installed within Orbx Central. I renamed the .txt file to 11 iso 12 but Central didnt recogine my xplane installation (its on a external drive)

Any ideas why? Thx

Mark

4 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

possibly, the path to your external drive is not correct?

Oh man thats it...my fault of course after moving Xplane 12 to another external drive ...sorry and thanks a lot for the hint Nick! Really appreciate it

• Thanks 1