Does it really happen?

carlosqr

Maybe in the old days ... I mean in Victorian times (when children were still being sent up chimneys) and thick, yellow smog would blanket the city!!

I've always thought (with FSX, P3D and now MSFS) that the transition times around morning or evening have always been totally up the creek. Far too abrupt - and far to early (or late).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can remember very thick fogs when I was young back in the late 50s, living on the SW edge of London. Also I can remember seeing public service ads on the tv asking people to limit burning coal fires to try and avoid the smog.:o

I hadn't passed my driving test very long and I drove home one night at walking pace as the fog was so thick. That was in Bournemouth in 1974.:P

Here in Victroria a 100 yard visibility mist is a thick pea souper.:lol:

Anyway Carlos that is a great image.:)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting comments fellows

Thanks a lot for sharing, I appreciate it as I've never been to London, just heard stories

17 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

I've always thought (with FSX, P3D and now MSFS) that the transition times around morning or evening have always been totally up the creek. Far too abrupt - and far to early (or late).

Really good point to consider too. It was very early indeed, right at the edge from a bit dark to the rise of the sun

Thank you mates

Have a great weekend

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 1

Cool shot Carlos.  I remember when I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford in the early 80's.  I was on base and trying to walk to the dormitory from the squadron.  It was night and we had such dense fog I couldn't even see my feet.  I heard a car engine and got sideswiped by a car.  They knocked me over and I got bloodied but managed to walk to the dorm, several miles away.  It was so quiet it was creepy.

• Thanks 1

Great Smokey shot Carlos! Don’t know about London but Dublin was just as smoggy in the 1980’s! You couldn’t see 10 ft in front of you and it would whip the lungs of you. The Smokey coal ban in the early 90’s sorted that issue!

John.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Cool shot Carlos.  I remember when I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford in the early 80's.  I was on base and trying to walk to the dormitory from the squadron.  It was night and we had such dense fog I couldn't even see my feet.  I heard a car engine and got sideswiped by a car.  They knocked me over and I got bloodied but managed to walk to the dorm, several miles away.  It was so quiet it was creepy.

Wow that sounds really scary Jack

Fortunately you made it!

9 hours ago, John Mac said:

Great Smokey shot Carlos! Don’t know about London but Dublin was just as smoggy in the 1980’s! You couldn’t see 10 ft in front of you and it would whip the lungs of you. The Smokey coal ban in the early 90’s sorted that issue!

John.

Thanks John,

I kind of like this weather is mysterious

8 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Nice shot Carlos, very atmospheric :rolleyes:

Don

Thanks Don

Cheers

• Like 1

Atmospheric image for sure Carlos! I can say that here where I live in Colorado, due to the high elevation, we get some thick fog mixed with actual low clouds. When that happens visibility is less than 50 feet. It is mostly due to low clouds when that happens. It's really neat, so long as you don't have to drive in it. The airport is immediately shut down when that happens.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Atmospheric image for sure Carlos! I can say that here where I live in Colorado, due to the high elevation, we get some thick fog mixed with actual low clouds. When that happens visibility is less than 50 feet. It is mostly due to low clouds when that happens. It's really neat, so long as you don't have to drive in it. The airport is immediately shut down when that happens.

Very interesting

Fog here is rare, I've seen it of course but it is rare. When it happens it traps me, I really like it.

What we have is incredible pouring rain with lots of rays, mainly during  Sept to mid Dec, our lowest tourist season.

Cheers Landon!

Carlos

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 8:08 AM, Adam Banks said:

I've always thought (with FSX, P3D and now MSFS) that the transition times around morning or evening have always been totally up the creek. Far too abrupt - and far to early (or late)

Yes, I agree, far too abrupt, sometimes its a major change in a few minutes.

Nice shot Carlos and of course this can happen. England and London is famous for the fog there.

In Germany we very often have the situation on the highways in autumn or spring. You cannot drive anymore and people know that but

they drive to reach their destination and than terrible accidents can happen. 

• Like 1