On approach

Jack Sawyer

What a tremendous image Jack.:)

It looks like you will just make it down in time before that squall hits.:o

Amazing clouds, they look like the long forgotten cauliflower I found in the back of the fridge yesterday!:wacko:

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

What a tremendous image Jack.:)

It looks like you will just make it down in time before that squall hits.:o

Amazing clouds, they look like the long forgotten cauliflower I found in the back of the fridge yesterday!:wacko:

:lol:  Thanks.  I was also interested to see if anyone would interpret the box in the upper right.  That’s in DEV mode.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic shot, Jack. And I initially thought that would be Sydney Kingsford Smith...

I was the one interested in the side details like "dev mode" "SDK update available" and the technical confusion from the window top right...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic shot, Jack. And I initially thought that would be Sydney Kingsford Smith...

I was the one interested in the side details like "dev mode" "SDK update available" and the technical confusion from the window top right...

Thanks Gerold.  I haven't bought that one yet.  Dev mode is an interesting mode.  It gives you more information than you can imagine about the state of the sim and it allows you to do some useful things.  YEs, SDK update, Software Development Kit, I don't really need it so no need for me to update it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, wain71 said:

nice shot Jack, not sure if it worries you but I think in Dev mode the sim does not log your hours...

Thanks Wain.  No worries, I was still in the testing mode, getting camera and flight controls set up but a very good point.  I've always found the sims' logbooks fascinating, it's kind of looking through journal entries.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, paulb said:

Great shot there Jack :). I think dev mode is the only way to see FPS?

It's one way.  I downloaded a free add-on that goes in the Community folder called ambitiouspilots-shiftzstats-v114_v87KI.zip and it brings back the Shift+Z functionality.  It's very cool.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Caluma65 said:

Great shots Jack.

Best 'put the foot down' if you hope to make it in to the terminal building without getting soaked.  Cheers,

Calum

:)  Thanks Calum.  I was most fortunate in that they built a hangar for while I was on approach so I taxied right in and didn't even get wet. ^_^

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks.  I was also interested to see if anyone would interpret the box in the upper right.  That’s in DEV mode

Hi Jack, nice shot. The box shows that the video card cannot really do it. In the lower part of the red part of the box it's said "limited by gpu".

If I go to London with my GTX1060 I will have the same situatuin with the box there. But I only use HD 1920x1080 and it looks like you 

have a higher resolution. So you will need a 3090 TI....I'm only kidding, don't know what you have but the 3060 seems to be a good offer today,

with 12 gb videoram. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, andiflyit said:

Hi Jack, nice shot. The box shows that the video card cannot really do it. In the lower part of the red part of the box it's said "limited by gpu".

If I go to London with my GTX1060 I will have the same situatuin with the box there. But I only use HD 1920x1080 and it looks like you 

have a higher resolution. So you will need a 3090 TI....I'm only kidding, don't know what you have but the 3060 seems to be a good offer today,

with 12 gb videoram. 

Yeah, thanks Andreas, I don't really want to spend money right now on a new card but I will when I'm able.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, andiflyit said:

with 12 gb videoram. 

I bought an 8gig 3060ti a while back to replace my 107, I am happy with that, 3 years time I will be 60, I have said to my family I will then spend some descent money on a complete new PC, GPU's might not be so outrageously priced by then...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, wain71 said:

I bought an 8gig 3060ti a while back to replace my 107, I am happy with that, 3 years time I will be 60, I have said to my family I will then spend some descent money on a complete new PC, GPU's might not be so outrageously priced by then...

Yeah, I just looked, $1400+ for a new card!  Yikes!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, andiflyit said:

Here the price for the 3060 I would like to buy is € 445.- and the 3080 is € 880.-

I think I paid about £500 for mine, but it will be with my machine for about 4 years...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, andiflyit said:

The 1080Ti can do it of course perhaps you must reduce some settings a bit. 

As far as I experienced it you will get acceptable results with MSFS using settings not more than "high".  

Thanks Andreas.  I still have them set as ULTRA as that's what the sim recommended when I first installed it.  I'm loath to lose the beauty of it if I go lower however, but I might.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andiflyit said:

The 1080Ti can do it of course perhaps you must reduce some settings a bit. 

As far as I experienced it you will get acceptable results with MSFS using settings not more than "high".  

But what really matters to me is not FPS per se, but smoothness.  How my eyes perceive it and with the OMDG's it's amazing for how complicated they are.

• Like 1

Atmospheric shot Jack!

Something  I learned along the way when adding 3rd party scenery - if it doesn't 'look right', in MSFS go to 'Profile', then select 'Content Manager', then search, for instance, KBOS.

Sometimes there will be 2 versions installed , particularly if Asobo has created an 'uprated' KBOS in an Update & you also add a 3rd party KBOS.

Delete the one you don't want [I am just using KBOS as an example, there may not be a clash]

Asobo airports will show a "Delete' option, 3rd party, being in the Community Folder, will not show that option.

You have to remove them via File Manager.

Usually you would leave the 3rd party & delete the Asobo version, in a double up.

I check all my airport add ons for this.

TTM

Edited by TigerTigerM
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

Atmospheric shot Jack!

Something  I learned along the way when adding 3rd party scenery - if it doesn't 'look right', in MSFS go to 'Profile', then select 'Content Manager', then search, for instance, KBOS.

Sometimes there will be 2 versions installed , particularly if Asobo has created an 'uprated' KBOS in an Update & you also add a 3rd party KBOS.

Delete the one you don't want [I am just using KBOS as an example, there may not be a clash]

Asobo airports will show a "Delete' option, 3rd party, being in the Community Folder, will not show that option.

Usually you would leave the 3rd party & delete the Asobo version, in a double up.

TTM

Excellent advice TTM!  Thanks and much appreciated.  I’m out now but will try this today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent advice TTM!  Thanks and much appreciated.  I’m out now but will try this today.

BTW

I tested my KBOS & it didn't show up.

But searching 'Boston' did.

So might need to try a few different search terms to locate an airport you know should be there.:)

TTM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Atmospheric shot Jack!

TTM

This is a great idea TTM.  I tried it with KBOS, nothing, but Boston, I got just one, it's Orbx Direct's FlyTampa Boston I bought and no other.  Going to do this from now on, I like it.

• Like 1