Orbx prices

carlosqr

I'm looking at Orbx only products as I don't think partner products are fair to compare, 

I've just compared my first and latest MSFS purchase, it's a very quick and dirty comparison, I've noticed a AUD$4 difference, but it general I would say prices have slightly increased, but, I'm not complaining, there's so many reasons why, for example newer airports like VTSP are brand new, where the earlier MSFS airports were P3D 'ports', so more work are going into them. The MSFS market could have shrunk from initial 2020 days, and probably the biggest reason, the current cost of living. In the UK (and I'm sure everywhere else) the cost of living is rapidly increasing (mainly due to the ongoing war) so I am happy throwing developers a few extra bucks if it means they can put food on the table and pay their bills :) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Venturi said:

What does it matter ? 

For people who don't live in Italy, or let's say Europe, USA, or Australia, it does matter.

Two digits prices for people in these areas might be a joke, something very affordable, specially according to the value of your currency but for some people it might be quite different.

In my case, those two poor digits translate into thousands, yes, thousands, not even hundreds, thousands for just one product.

For example a product of AUD$26 means for me 12,086.26 my currency.  Does it make sense now? And it's AUD not USD or EUR which is a lot worst.

Twelve thousand is not money you let go that easy, and if you are interested in buying as many as possible that makes it a bit more complicated as then choosing or priorities come first.

Cheers

Carlos

1 hour ago, EasternT3 said:

I'm looking at Orbx only products as I don't think partner products are fair to compare, 

I've just compared my first and latest MSFS purchase, it's a very quick and dirty comparison, I've noticed a AUD$4 difference, but it general I would say prices have slightly increased, but, I'm not complaining, there's so many reasons why, for example newer airports like VTSP are brand new, where the earlier MSFS airports were P3D 'ports', so more work are going into them. The MSFS market could have shrunk from initial 2020 days, and probably the biggest reason, the current cost of living. In the UK (and I'm sure everywhere else) the cost of living is rapidly increasing (mainly due to the ongoing war) so I am happy throwing developers a few extra bucks if it means they can put food on the table and pay their bills :) 

Hi Joe

Yeah it is indeed a slightly increase.

I noticed as I am interested in buying they way I used to do before. I had everything created for P3D, but after Covid all changed for me.

I was promoted  past July 1st, and next payment is going to be with the salary increase, so I was doing calculations and checking sites, I want to get back in track with the shopping. Currently the sale in the marketplace, though I dislike the platform, I can't deny it has the best discounts of all and in local currency. Then in sinmarket and of course here, that's why I realized it.

I do agree in the reasons you explain and completely understand it, it is just that I was not expecting it. Also, my interests are not limited to Orbx, there are plenty of products out there which I am interesed in, but as you said third party seemed to be stable.

Thank you!

Regards,

Carlos 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BradB said:

With MSFS I rarely ever buy scenery anymore , with the freeware at TO I don’t need it

that’s a very valid way to go - we all know from previous sims that it can be a very expensive hobby,

though, when I get the chance, am very happy to support the developer community - & there are some top grade add ons,

the occasional sales really help - Orbx recently has had some great bargains - thanks! (it does make a difference to the $bottom line)…

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, carlosqr said:

I was promoted  past July 1st, and next payment is going to be with the salary increase

Congratulations from me too Carlos :)

As for the pricing - I have no problem with Orbx products - all good value IMHO and then there are the regular sales. 

Some third party products sold via Orbx can sometimes look a bit expensive.

I am still starting with FS2020 so no purchases yet. Not sure how many I will purchase anyway given the frequent updates. I have almost all of the Orbx P3Dv4  products and find that I am still buying Orbx for XP11. :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, carlosqr said:

For people who don't live in Italy, or let's say Europe, USA, or Australia, it does matter.

Two digits prices for people in these areas might be a joke, something very affordable, specially according to the value of your currency but for some people it might be quite different.

In my case, those two poor digits translate into thousands, yes, thousands, not even hundreds, thousands for just one product.

For example a product of AUD$26 means for me 12,086.26 my currency.  Does it make sense now? And it's AUD not USD or EUR which is a lot worst.

Twelve thousand is not money you let go that easy, and if you are interested in buying as many as possible that makes it a bit more complicated as then choosing or priorities come first.

Cheers

Carlos

It's not a joke here Carlos. I live in the USA and price matters very much to me. The latest data I can find shows the average salary in Costa Rica to be CRC 27,395 933. At today's exchange rate that's the equivalent of USD 44,220. The average salary in the United States for the same period was 51,736 USD. So, for many people, AUD 26 is also a lot of money.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BradB said:

With MSFS I rarely ever buy scenery anymore , with the freeware at TO I don’t need it . The only thing I buy are AC occasionally from Central . 

I don't like the platfom but there are some airport that unfortunatlly are only there like Budapest and Jakarta, and now some from Simulación Extrema and others and that is a pain if you like/want them.

I do have a lot of freeware, some are really good or at least a lot better that the default ones

4UBEkRo.jpg

14 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

the occasional sales really help - Orbx recently has had some great bargains - thanks! (it does make a difference to the $bottom line)…

That's very true. I profit all of them, specially if they are available yet on the 7th and 22nd of each month, pay days :lol:

13 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Congrats, Carlos. I hope that your flying time is not significantly reduced 8)?

Thanks a lot Gerold

Fortunately not

I work from 7 to 4 then fly from 4 to bed time :D as I work from home to switch computers/rooms is fast and I have weekends off

Best regards my friend

10 hours ago, paulb said:

Congratulations from me too Carlos :)

As for the pricing - I have no problem with Orbx products - all good value IMHO and then there are the regular sales. 

Some third party products sold via Orbx can sometimes look a bit expensive.

I am still starting with FS2020 so no purchases yet. Not sure how many I will purchase anyway given the frequent updates. I have almost all of the Orbx P3Dv4  products and find that I am still buying Orbx for XP11. :)

Thank you so much Paul

I appreciate it

Interesting and wise too. The more confident you feel with MSFS maybe you'll get more stuff

I never bought anything for X plane, I cound't deal with the paltform and kept sticked to P3D but then the divorce came I started testing MSFS

7 hours ago, W2DR said:

It's not a joke here Carlos. I live in the USA and price matters very much to me. The latest data I can find shows the average salary in Costa Rica to be CRC 27,395 933. At today's exchange rate that's the equivalent of USD 44,220. The average salary in the United States for the same period was 51,736 USD. So, for many people, AUD 26 is also a lot of money.

Hi

Not so sure about that data but I found it interesting but too high.

In this image bellow you can see the minimum salary allowed in CR (which is the one companies prefer to pay, of course) according to the positions, the yellow represent levels with studies, the highest is an university graduated with  696.873 per month, of course there are people with saliries of several millions but most of the population (with studies) are within the yellow ones, the 696.873 equals some 1.032 USD a month

Actually the average is around $1000 per month in general specially after the hit of Covid and this country is really expensive, it grew oriented the US clientele in infrastructure, service and prices of course You notice that clear as water in tourism. I can properly say that the cost of living here is the highest in Central America, sadly.

Thank you!

It was an interesting excersice . Let's see how well I do in the future  :)

Cheers

sg8jzmW.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Prices cannot be based upon where potential customers live, prices have to be based upon where the people who produce the products live. In general comparing currencies and salaries is not a good measure rather it is more useful to consider what you can buy for say US$1 in the USA and what you can buy for US$1 equivelant in a poorer country.  Having said that it is understandable that poorer countries just cannot afford some products that are produced elsewhere but that is a hard fact of economics.

5 hours ago, Bassman said:

Prices cannot be based upon where potential customers live, prices have to be based upon where the people who produce the products live. In general comparing currencies and salaries is not a good measure rather it is more useful to consider what you can buy for say US$1 in the USA and what you can buy for US$1 equivelant in a poorer country.  Having said that it is understandable that poorer countries just cannot afford some products that are produced elsewhere but that is a hard fact of economics.

Sorry, I do object. Very often prices are adjusted to the general price levels in different countries. 

Sometimes prices are also adjusted accoring to the popularity of certain products or the demand for them in different countries.

Amazon is a good example. Sometimes one and the same product is much cheaper on amazon.com or .uk than on amazon.at. But I as an Austrian am not able to buy via amazon.com or.uk I have to buy via amazon.at.

On the other hand sometimes identical products are cheaper on amazon.at than on amazon.com or .uk.

I assume amazon is controling

this via IP addresses.

PS: Different tax levels are not the main reason for these price differences between different countries. 

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 1

I stopped having this problem a long time ago. Haven't bought a third party aircraft or scenery for about three years or so and not about to start. I will get a PMDG product soon when the 737-800 is released but that is because they already have my dough from a P3D purchase.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 9:49 PM, Bassman said:

Well, despite my country is positioned as one of the best (in LA) in terms of health, political stability, education, and economy and even being the country with the highest minimum average salary in the whole latin America, it is yet tough to get some products.

Prices can have a structure

Cheers

Carlos

On 7/23/2022 at 3:16 AM, wolfko said:

Sorry, I do object. Very often prices are adjusted to the general price levels in different countries. 

Sometimes prices are also adjusted accoring to the popularity of certain products or the demand for them in different countries.

Amazon is a good example. Sometimes one and the same product is much cheaper on amazon.com or .uk than on amazon.at. But I as an Austrian am not able to buy via amazon.com or.uk I have to buy via amazon.at.

On the other hand sometimes identical products are cheaper on amazon.at than on amazon.com or .uk.

I assume amazon is controling

this via IP addresses.

PS: Different tax levels are not the main reason for these price differences between different countries. 

I agree

I thought of a structure depending on the region to be more reasonable

For example a price A for the mighty dollar

A price B for the King Euro and similars

A price C, a prefered price for locals (aus)

A price D for Latin America, Africa and other regions

Prices that go in accordance to the purchasing power of each region.

Prices don't need to be published, you can know the price when you click on it as if you were going to buy it. The price displayed corresponds to your area...

The cost of living in some areas is really high, in my country for example for a Big Mac you pay USD $6.54 and that is just a silly example but can give an idea I guess

Here some products, cost twice than in Panama, (the same products, our own products) how come? and in Panama they have US$..

Well thanks for commenting your perspective

Cheers

Carlos

On 7/23/2022 at 3:44 AM, chumley said:

I stopped having this problem a long time ago. Haven't bought a third party aircraft or scenery for about three years or so and not about to start. I will get a PMDG product soon when the 737-800 is released but that is because they already have my dough from a P3D purchase.

Well, that's a bit extreme I would say :D

Though I think it might give some peace of mind

Cheers

Carlos

15 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Well, despite my country is positioned as one of the best (in LA) in terms of health, political stability, education, and economy and even being the country with the highest minimum average salary in the whole latin America, it is yet tough to get some products.

Prices can have a structure

Cheers

Carlos

So if it costs me say US$20 to produce and market a product and I sell it with a 25% profit margin and  I sell it in USA for US$25 I should sell it in a poor country for less than it cost to market and produce? Example sounds exaggerated I know but that is what some are saying/requesting. All I have tried to say is that a producer cannot be expected to sell a product at even a break even price, that just does not make commercial sense.

3 hours ago, Bassman said:

So if it costs me say US$20 to produce and market a product and I sell it with a 25% profit margin and  I sell it in USA for US$25 I should sell it in a poor country for less than it cost to market and produce? Example sounds exaggerated I know but that is what some are saying/requesting. All I have tried to say is that a producer cannot be expected to sell a product at even a break even price, that just does not make commercial sense.

I understand the cost of production but there is also the cost of opportunity and the bet on volume

The cost of production won't change but they can play with the range of prices to compensate all, rich countries can pay more that the poor countries to use your words.

A slight increase for richer countries may compensate the slight reduction for the ones with less power of adquisition and the volume sold will always produce a profit, there are more changes to sell if the price is "reasonable" if it is realistic for the area. For example, how many ferraris do you see in LATAM? It's understandable. You'll see Hyundai and Toyota among others like rice, and even though they are not cheap but reasoable, affordable.

Have you seen the incredible discounts the market place offer?

No other site offer a higher discount, and I don't think this is only absorbed by the developer.

What are they aiming to?

To trap as many people as possible in the market place, very attractive discounts will attract you as a bee to the honey, once you bought it there you´re theirs.

There will be more and more people joining, they're betting on volume though they are sacrifiying a bit to gain it.

They are trying to get people used to the market place, to be happy with them, through very low prices.

At least that's how I see it.

Any way, thanks for your comment it is alwyas good and healthy to have different points of view and consider them.

Cheers

Carlos

Hello,

as a resident of a country that is doing its best to leave the "first world" and join the "third world",

I can see that the cost of everything is becoming much more relevant to everyone.

I must say though that the almost constant stream of sales, special offers and other

Orbx marketing tools should be making the purchase of Orbx products easier, rather

than more difficult.

As things stand, I don't think that Orbx Central is capable of offering regional pricing and

in any case, there is no parallel between internet sales, by definition world wide and the sale of 

hard goods, which by definition, is local.

The differing points of view have been aired and I don't think that there is anywhere else for this topic to go.

Things change, as they always do and who knows what the next marketing medium might bring.

Until then, the topic must rest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1