Frantic with Installation Problems

Yesterday, after a break of almost a year, I uninstalled P3D5 completely and all Orbx products. I then installed P3D5 v3 which is running ok. I re-installed my Orbx library and found all my purchases still there. However, I cannot get them to P3D scenery library. I run Windows 10 and use 3 HDDs.  Drive C 250gb is my Local; Drive E 250gb is P3Dv5; Drive F  Orbx products.

i followed all LM's instructions, yet do not know whether to install scenery files into P3D folder or create another library. Should i remove all Orbx once again and install as from scratch? How do I do this? There seems to be no connection between the Orbx scenery files and the simulator. Please bear with me and see if you are able to help me out. Thank you, Tom

This is a new account as I changed ISP early 2021 and could not remember the password for my old email address. My old profile name was Tom Charles and I can remember that Nick helped me a lot in the past.

Edited by Tom Charles2

2 hours ago, Tom Charles2 said:

How do I do this?

Hello Tom, welcome back to the forums.

You will have to create a folder on your F: drive at least for Orbx Objectflow, Orbx TerraFlora / Trees will also be placed there, they cannot go into the P3Dv5 folder.

If you wish you can also create another folder on F: for Orbx Scenery so that it is installed outside of P3Dv5.

I have all my Orbx Scenery installed into P3Dv5, except Orbx 3rd party scenery, which is installed into it's own folder / library.

Each of these folders you create are classed as libraries, when you install any product through Orbx Central it will give you the choice to install into the sim or into a library.

You will need to go to Orbx Central - Settings - Libraries and top right is Create a new library, use that to point to each of the folders you have created to create a new library.

Orbx Libraries.jpg

• Like 1

Hi

Your P3D E:\ drive is not large enough to install very many Orbx products, so as Smudger suggests, you will need to create a library in a location such as your F:\ drive, hopefully it has tons more space.

In Orbx Central, you will also need to go to settings\downloader and move the windows temp folder to a location with more space than what is on your C:\ drive, as Orbx products are downloaded and unzipped to your C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp folder and sometimes need up to 3x their install size before they get installed to the simulator location, then after the install is complete, they are removed from your C:\ drive. You can move the Temp folder to a drive with more space using the option in Orbx Central settings\downloader.

Also, make sure, before you close Orbx Central after you create your libraries, to got to settings\help and run the sync simulator function, this will create the "connection between the Orbx scenery files and the simulator".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Doug. I have successfully installed P3Dv5 on to Drive E   250Gb....it works. What must I now do? I have completely removed Orbx and all its products.   I apologize if I cannot think straight. Have been very unwell, but hopefully on the way back!  Have Drive F re-formatted and quite clean. Wish to install all Orbx products there.

Edited by Tom Charles2

Hi Doug

Thanks for the reply.

One additional question. I have Netherlands True Earth. It states that it requires 200Gb for temporary installation. My drives are a sfollows:

C:Local 63.5Gb free              E: P3D installed here, has 164Gb free out of 223Gb          F: Orbx library has 820Gb free.

Must I change the temporary folder for downloads to Drive F?   If so, how do I do that?  I tried but did not work!

Regards,

Tom

...and another question.....I used Poppet's advice about slow loading times....removing shaders, etc.   How do I do this in P3D5? I cannot find the shaders and other files in the same locations....!!!

I apologise for being such a nuisance....  Tom

2 hours ago, Tom Charles2 said:

removing shaders

Hello Tom

Shaders folder = C: - Users - YOUR NAME - App Data - Local - Lockheed Martin - Prepar3D v5

There are also folders in = C: - Users - YOUR NAME - App Data - Roaming - Lockheed Martin - Prepar3D v5

There are files / folders in = C: - ProgramData - Lockheed Martin - Prepar3D v5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tom Charles2 said:

Hi Doug

Thanks for the reply.

One additional question. I have Netherlands True Earth. It states that it requires 200Gb for temporary installation. My drives are a sfollows:

C:Local 63.5Gb free              E: P3D installed here, has 164Gb free out of 223Gb          F: Orbx library has 820Gb free.

Must I change the temporary folder for downloads to Drive F?   If so, how do I do that?  I tried but did not work!

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom

Yes, you will need to use your F: drive for your temp folder location. To do this, first create a new folder on your F: drive and call it TEMP, then open Orbx Central and go to Settings\Downloader and for "Temporary Location" click on "Edit" and navigate to your new folder and then click on select folder as in the example image below of mine.

Temp Folder.PNG

• Like 1

Hi,

Hope you had a good weekend.

True Earthy Netherlands display is atrocious!   Trees cartoon green, no detail - I used to see the Jumbo store in my City of Ijseelstein, together with the Gerbrandy Toring...no more...

Suggestions?

Tom

Hi Tom

To get rid of the cartoon trees, Please Untick the “Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation” option in the P3D settings Options/World, then restart your sim.

The first image below is with TE Netherlands HD install over your city with the Jumbo store in sight.

The second image is of the exact same location without TE Netherlands installed.

Jumbo.PNG

Jumbo 1.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tom Charles2 said:

Should I remove it?

Hello Tom, you can check whether it makes a difference by unticking the 3 vector entries in your Scenery library and running P3Dv5, and then decide to uninstall or not.

Edited by Smudger
  • Thanks 1