Asia LC

Sven

26 minutes ago, dave302 said:

I've given up on this.

It's going on almost 2 years now and nothing, not even "phase 1" of supposedly 3 phases.

Sad.

Dave

Just pointing out, 2 years is nothing, there's airports that take years, flightbeam's NZAA took 5 years and Aerosoft's EBBR was nearly 10 years from start to release. This project is an entire continent (the largest continent at that) and I'd guess Asia is extremely hard to get data for, especially the eastern parts.

Plus the lead developer is currently (and has been for the last 6 months) in a worn torn country. 

Whilst a number of people want LC Asia, patience is needed. All Orbx can be accused off is potentially announcing the product a bit too early.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

Plus the lead developer is currently (and has been for the last 6 months) in a worn torn country. 

My comment has nothing to do with the lead developer.  I hope he is well.  The problem lies with Orbx.

Orbx announced development of this nearly 2 years ago and said that phase 1 was in testing back in early 2021.  A year and a half later and no news at all.

I'm guessing that Orbx is unwilling to put any more development resources towards openLC for FSX/P3D, which they could do if it was a priority, but it's not.

IMO 2 years is an unreasonable amount of time to complete this project.

The fact that Orbx is unwilling to provide any details at all about its status is not only a bit bizarre, but also telling.  I question whether it will even come to fruition.

Dave

13 minutes ago, dave302 said:

My comment has nothing to do with the lead developer.

I only said it, as it's a fairly big reason IMO potentially why there's a longer gap in development.

15 minutes ago, dave302 said:

Without sounding combative (I'm truly not trying to be) based on what? How do you know what the development takes, what's involved, what challenges may have been faced. Yes you may be right in terms of Orbx's priorities are MSFS, therefore LC Asia hasn't taken priority, but saying it's unreasonable, again, how do you know what this project involves?

22 minutes ago, dave302 said:

The fact that Orbx is unwilling to provide any details at all about its status is not only a bit bizarre, but also telling.  I question whether it will even come to fruition.

Is it though? There's 2 threads of people asking about KPBI, and other threads about other projects with no Orbx response, why should this project be different, as for it coming to fruition, I hope it does for P3D users, I can't see Orbx not releasing it, especially when it's on the roadmap for a 2022 release (where Anna also reiterated it's a "huge" project)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think it's common practice now not to talk about things and timescales etc, people will always be asking - is it done yet?- when will it be released? etc etc....look at Biggin Hill, only a few weeks ago questions were asked and we were told it's still happening and then it's suddenly here....I can't wait for Asia LC but it's a massive undertaking, a vast area that has to be done, tested and put together...I've am involved in testing stuff for another Developer for P3D that we started before MSFS was released, it might be done by the end of the year if all goes well, that's just how it is....we just have to fly elsewhere until Asia is ready....

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, dave302 said:

My comment has nothing to do with the lead developer.  I hope he is well.  The problem lies with Orbx.

Orbx announced development of this nearly 2 years ago and said that phase 1 was in testing back in early 2021.  A year and a half later and no news at all.

I'm guessing that Orbx is unwilling to put any more development resources towards openLC for FSX/P3D, which they could do if it was a priority, but it's not.

Dave

The CEO of Orbx mentioned that OpenLC Asia was part of the 2022 roadmap. Pretty sure we'll see it release eventually. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, it is never good to anounce a project too early. And if you do, good (marketing) practice would be to constantly release updates on the state of deveopment or just posting screenshots or just posting about the project, even if there is no progress at all in the development.

Customers like this, they feel cared about.

The is one well known Orbx developer (you can guess, whom I mean ^_^) who does the above in perfection. His projects sometimes are taking forever, but he is just talking about his projects on a regular basis. Sometimes releasing screenshots which honestly don't show much or even nothing new, but people are happy.

So it would be easy for Orbx to calm people down. For me it is not understandable why nothing happens in this way.

• Upvote 1

That is correct, there is no new news, and when there is it will be shared. There is nothing "bizarre" or "telling" about it. The situation is exactly as Anna stated. Feel free to question its fruition all you like, that is your personal choice.

• Upvote 1