Screenshot contests thoughts.

I think that one good rule for these contests in the future would be that if you like a picture or react to it, you have to VOTE for it.   Its very misleading when you get 9 likes and not one nomination for the contest.  Just sayin'.  

6 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

I think that one good rule for these contests in the future would be that if you like a picture or react to it, you have to VOTE for it.   Its very misleading when you get 9 likes and not one nomination for the contest.  Just sayin'.  

I think the contest needs more promotion on one side. I remember I had several months already in Orbx and I was not aware of this until somebody told me.

Second, usually the persons posting tend to be the same ones all time, and often is three cats. In time, I noticed a reduction of participants, this means, or many people don't know, or many are not interested in posting or don't know how to do it but could be willing to just vote or even better just like. So if the content is open to everybody on the site to "like" the picture, maybe the contest would have more sense and adrenaline, as there will be a lot people involved not the usual ones, wether they post or not and the count will be not by voting but by likes, by the amount of likes. At the closing of the contest the picture with more likes wins.

Third, the policy of claiming only Orbx products is not too wise becuase, what happens if you have all from Orbx? When I had P3D I practically had all Orbx made for P3D so what would I claim if I win? Will I I have the chance to claim as prize the next very brand new product when released then?

Currently I don't have yet everything Orbx has made for MSFS but it time I will. On the other side if the 3rd party products are offered here what's the point in excluding them? Sometimes this "free" product you can claim could be an incentive because you can request a product that is expensive and you can not afford at the moment so this is a nice "feeling", to have this chance and causes that you double your efforts in producing a great shot for next contest, it estimulates you to participate, with emotion and "hope" to win again. Removing third party products causes a bitter taste at least for me, some lost of interest or emotion let's call it that way. For example, I haven't even searched for a picture for July when in the past I had a selection of pictures already saved waiting for my pick up for next contest.

I think companies should find the way to make people particitape, be part of, like MSFS, everybody doing liveries, doing senery, etc feeling part of, being considered, creating all together, making MSFS unstopable and mandatory. What would happen if they become too restrictive? If they cut to the people the fascinating chance to learn and create and provide... Can you picture that situation?  It is now indeed a huge community that makes that company grow stronger.

It might be a different thing but they are keeping people glued to them, to the platform.

Have you noticed how flightsim.to has grown?

Have you checked their wallpaper site?

Now they are even selling there. Why does it have so many people visiting it daily?

Why they feel so willing/comfortable to do it?

Maybe this can be move to a separte thread for other members to share their ideas and feelings. Maybe something good or innovating could come out, who knows. After all this kind of things are made for us, for users to feel happy with, right?

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 1

Well then chaps everyone on the forum can enter the contests if they want but it seems that people don't want to enter for what ever reason that's why you get the same people entering month after month and the same people winning.

I have tried something new this month having  a themed screenshot contest but that doesn't seem to be good enough for some here so to be honest I'm trying my best and have done for years with these contests and I might have to have a rethink on if I carry on doing the screenshot contests or see if anyone else from the team wants to take this on and can do it better. 

Thank you all for your contributions on the screenshot contests over time.

cheers 

Iain 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

I just don't understand this gripe. *Any* competition that's based on skill (of any kind) is going to be affected in this way. The most popular (ie. the best <?>) shot wins - what could be simpler? Sure - the competition is going to attract some "quality" entries from seasoned "regulars" ... but isn't that the same for *any* competition? The Chase? Wimbledon? F1 racing?

My only problem with the competition is the confusion as to what qualifies as sufficiently Orbx-related content. With all the combinations of other vendors, it can get complicated! However - this whole forum is financed by Orbx, so I see no reason why the comp shouldn't showcase their products only. I think Iain has been quite fair with moderating eligibility. If in doubt - post the pic somewhere [else] and ask him. He's been quite happy to judge my pre-entries.

We had similar problems over at NZFF - where a tiny handful of competitors basically dominated the comp month after month. People moaned that they thought they never stood a chance of winning ... but HEY ... I thought the whole point is to enjoy taking part (isn't it?). Anyway - we tried to open things up by using themes - and allocating votes/points to entries that best fit the theme as well as pure aesthetics. The idea was to open the field out to people that could think "outside the box" but weren't necessarily Photoshop wizards. Sounded great on paper - but went down like a lead balloon! *Two votes?* - wow - that was just too complicated for some.

If anyone has any constructive ideas, I'd suggest posting them in Iain's themes thread. In the meantime - don't take it to heart, Iain - you've been doing a grand job (for years)!

Wait ... I'll ignore my advice and post a suggestion here:

In many competitions, the problem of skilled vs unskilled is addressed by using *league tables*. Maybe the consistent winners could be hived off to a "Premier" league (with a suitably "premier" prize) and other entrants in the "regular" league get some sort of a prize *as well*.

Either that - or just give three prizes each month: 1st, 2nd, 3rd - with corresponding product values.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Iain Emms said:

As the title says whats your thoughts on the screenshot contest, Because some members of the forum dont think its working.

cheers

Iain

Ir can work, just implement rules as I suggested that If you like something in the posting of the screenshot entries, people must VOTE for that one that they like.   Also LIMITING the number of times people can win in a certain period can definitely up the chance of others winning that enter regularly and don't win because of the popularity contests and hugs club if they all have their little clicks they belong to in the forum.   We need a more fair voting system. That's the problem.  Its very misleading when you get 9 likes on your entry but then no nominations in the contest itself.   

it would be interesting to see since MSFS has been about a breakdown by sim, visually we mostly agree it's a very high bar being set by that sim, I fly and post shots from all 3 sims but I have to admit some don't get anywhere near the quality of MSFS.....I haven't entered for ages, I forget and then Iain reminds us it's over, but that's just a busy life, be interesting to see if XP12 is anywhere near as good on the visuals...

Hello,

interesting ideas.

On the subject of "third-party" products as prizes, they are not excluded as a matter of policy, rather they are not

Orbx's licences to give away.

On the subject of you can only win once in a given time period, there is already the fact that there are fewer entrants

and the result would most likely be even fewer.

It could almost become taking turns to win, which is the complaint now.

As Adam says, it should really be all about taking part and several likes of one's picture should produce a good feeling in any case?

Maybe counting the number of "likes" could be tried as a voting method but what should happen in the event of the inevitable tie would need to be considered.

On a lighter note, perhaps a nominated judge could be used each month, with the judge being allowed to vote for their own screenshot.

That must be fair, mustn't it? :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

interesting ideas.

On the subject of "third-party" products as prizes, they are not excluded as a matter of policy, rather they are not

On the subject of you can only win once in a given time period, there is already the fact that there are fewer entrants

As Adam says, it should really be all about taking part and several likes of one's picture should produce a good feeling in any case?

Maybe counting the number of "likes" could be tried as a voting method but what should happen in the event of the inevitable tie would need to be considered.

On a lighter note, perhaps a nominated judge could be used each month, with the judge being allowed to vote for their own screenshot.

What is that period that people can only win in?  Its not stated in the rules of entry for the contest. I'm just curious, because in a few months time frame one member did win a couple of contests.  

Since a lot of people can't always be upgrading their systems or software to the latest and "greatest" available, a lot of people feel like they don't even have a chance of winning with a mediocre system or simulator, just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As one who has been guilty of making a "wrong" entry, I can understand why some are confused by terms such as Orbx / partners / theme types. am not exactly a spring chicken anymore and I get confused and tend to overthink the competition. I mean... "Leaving on a jet plane" - I was seriously tempted to edit Mama Cass into an airport terminal, singing her famous song whilst looking out over the runway at a departing jet. Also, if I had set the camera angle in my (failed) entry and shown the runway - would that have been correct? So what are we getting this month then? I would guess  all entries to be more or less identical with just the photographer's skills making the difference. Either way, I won't stop entering. It is fun and you do "have to be in it to win it", don't you?

Enjoy, have fun and don't be such "Karens" :lol::lol::lol: and don't forget: The judge's decision on subject matter is final.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Ir can work, just implement rules as I suggested that If you like something in the posting of the screenshot entries, people must VOTE for that one that they like.   Also LIMITING the number of times people can win in a certain period can definitely up the chance of others winning that enter regularly and don't win because of the popularity contests and hugs club if they all have their little clicks they belong to in the forum.   We need a more fair voting system. That's the problem.  Its very misleading when you get 9 likes on your entry but then no nominations in the contest itself.   

How's about throwing the voting open to all members?

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

interesting ideas.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

As far as I am aware, there is no limit on anyone.

In your above reply, you state you can only win once in a given time period....then you say as far as I am aware, there is no limit on anyone, so what is it Nick? 

Hello,

perhaps if I add a little more punctuation:

On the subject of: "you can only win once in a given time period", there is already the fact that there are fewer entrants

It would be more clear that I am not stating a fact but commenting on "you can only win once in a given time period",

an idea put forward by your good self.

Also LIMITING the number of times people can win in a certain period can definitely up the chance of others winning that enter regularly and don't win because of the popularity contests and hugs club if they all have their little clicks they belong to in the forum.

1 hour ago, EagleSkinner said:

I don't think that would work. Over at NZFF, there were times when it became apparent that constestants were canvassing friends/other members to vote for their entry. IMHO, the current rule is way better.

I still don't understand this fixation on winning. I'd have thought the idea of the comp was to showcase Orbx products, with forum members have a bit of fun along the way.

As to contestants being outclassed by hardware - I don't see how you can ever level that playing field. Again - a moderately capable system shouldn't stop you taking screenshots and trying to be creative and enjoying taking them. I certainly wouldn't mind entering an F1 Grand Prix with my 1960's Morris Minor. No chance of winning, of course, but what a blast!!

To put it another way - if you were choosing a desktop wallpaper (which you may end up staring at for ages), you'd want the best looking image, would you not? Why would you want some blurry, heavily anti-aliased , lo-res version?

Now here's another idea: the winner has to produce a desktop wallpaper of the image (ie. decent resolution and maybe a couple of aspect ratios). The winning shots then go into a gallery, where anyone can grab them (after an Orbx person has stamped a subtle Orbx logo on it).

Flightsim.to has a wallpapers section with thousands of submissions:

https://wall.flightsim.to/profile/AdamskiNZ

(not sure if that link takes you directly to my wallpapers, but they're there ... somewhere). Then maybe:

https://flightsim.to/community/user-gallery

Adam.

P.S. I think the number of "likes" entries get is a total red herring. Sure, it may give you a bit of a "feelgood" factor, but I'd go for the hard scrutiny and votes of other contestants - any time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

In the meantime - don't take it to heart, Iain - you've been doing a grand job (for years)!

Agreed, x2

10 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

I think that "up the chace" could generate less participats and interest. At the end the rule is that the prize goes for the best picture, regarless of who it belongs to, so I think we're find with that, but it is obvious that people with more skills have more chances.

I think part of your issue will be solved by removing this from the contest

QnqtonY.jpg

So nobody will know which a preferred picture is until the voting is closed, because the fact that someone likes your picture doesn't mean it has to win, there could be another considered better or winner. Also sometimes it happens that you have one on sight and zaz, someone posts a greater one, so you chance your mind...

But not seeing who likes the pictures could cause expectation for the voting and above all not having the impression that one could end as winner.

9 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thank you Nick for clarifying

I think so too

Agreed

I feel this could lead to "feelings" of preferance, friendship etc

5 hours ago, EagleSkinner said:

It is fun and you do "have to be in it to win it", don't you?

Loved it

5 hours ago, EagleSkinner said:

Yeah, that's what I said, everybody on the forum can vote, that makes it a lot better, not so limited to the 5 or 7 who participate

4 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

I still don't understand this fixation on winning. I'd have thought the idea of the comp was to showcase Orbx products,

Well a contest is for winning

You can showcase Orbx products anytime in the section community screeshots, I post very often.

You participate in a contest with the expectation of winning

Now here's another idea: the winner has to produce a desktop wallpaper of the image (ie. decent resolution and maybe a couple of aspect ratios). The winning shots then go into a gallery, where anyone can grab them (after an Orbx person has stamped a subtle Orbx logo on it).

That I like though we come back to the skills and resources not many have, and this could be discouraging

This is the direct link to the wallpaper site https://wall.flightsim.to/

Though I consider not all of them quality as wallpapers, some are just regular shots.

Shots like Heka's, Filou and others there are real wallpapers

Cheers

Carlos

Your gallery is really nice some are amazing like the Milford Sound, the very first one, etc. Very worked images with great ambience and weather. When an image is "worked",searches for angle, lightning, color etc you know a composition I do consider it a wallpaper

I used to upload there too long ago

https://wall.flightsim.to/profile/carlos

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by carlosqr

Yes I was trying this as spoke about in previous  post on the forum and talking with Ed Correia and trying to come up with new ideas but to be honest I'm coming to a point where I've had enough of the screenshot contest it sorry but I'm telling  it how it is.

Regards 

Iain 

• Sad 4

Here are my thoughts Iain. 

Keep up the good work and to coin a phrase I read on Linkedin recently 'If they do not know you personally, don't take any comments personally'.

The screenshot contest is a great idea and enables a wide variety of good quality contributions from different members.

I have a suggestion to make for future Orbx screenshot competitions.  Not sure at this stage how feasible this is, however it might be worth a trial period.

- Members submit their monthly entries anonymously for scoring from 1-10 with the images being displayed but no member name (if feasible)

- Certain Orbx staff team members e.g. yourself, Nick and Ed then score the submissions

- Scores from 1-10 are based on certain image attributes e.g. composition, colour, perspective, depth of field/focus and overall quality

- The winner each month is decided based on your total combined scores

- The winner is then announced

- A member can only win this competition a maximum of twice per year

The above method would help encourage more 'independent' judgement and scoring of images submitted and also help ensure a clear and decisive winner each month based on a most likely unique total score.

Happy flying everyone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Let’s keep it really simple and easy. And let’s let Iain off the hook. Maybe just have screenshots without the contest like most other forums. Perhaps think about some sort of loyalty program like buy 10 and get one free.  Cheers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, captainbluesky said:

A member can only win this competition a maximum of twice per year

I'm not so sure on this because, if one wins in January and then in May, let's say, then what interest would there be in continuing posting the rest of the months?

If it would happen to me I would post again next year. Personaly, I participate here for the prize, that's the nature of a contest isn't?

I post very often in the community screenshots just for the pleasure of doing it, to tell the developer how much I enjoy the product. But here I do it for the prize.

What would be the reason for someone who has won twice to continue posting?..

Some may say for fun, just to participate... then what happens if the best shot results to be that of someone who has already won twice? Sorry, but we'll go second best?.

That feels awful, and it could be too notorious that the "replacement" is not as good a the original winner, and that would feel awful too, and not only for the owner of the dropped picture but for the "replacement winner" as he would know he won becuase the other had already won twince not becuase his shot was the best...

Anyway winning is never easy. I've posted for years already and have won only three times

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 2

Iain! you are doing a grand job! Secondly, I think the competition is fine the way it is and personally I never entered expecting to win ever. I think what is most important is the participation by everyone which is great to see and as a bonus Orbx throw in a prize for what is voted the best which other forums don't do which is a nice touch.

Edited by ianlighting
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Firstly it is a shame Iain is thinking of giving up the screenshot comp as he is doing a first class job and is only implementing the rules. Please remember this is not a football match where the referee is an instant enemy!;)

I like the idea of the themed competition, gets the brain cells ticking over.

I also like the idea of the winner sitting out the competition for a month or two which will give some others a chance.

I have been lucky enough to win twice but most months just getting one vote is like a win for me!

Don't give up people for if I can win then anyone can.:lol:

• Like 2