This Week's Meaningless Topic (#95)(July 2)

Hi all. Most of us were born in quite different times and have seen many changes of many kinds. While some might want to argue that things were better when we were young, even a cursory consideration would disprove that. In fact, for most people life is much better now than it was way back when. We who have experienced the improvements should be quick to celebrate them. And that brings us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  what changes for the better have you seen in your lifetime? My personal list would include:

1. Much better medical, dental, and eye care (antibiotics, surgical procedures, medications, etc.).

2. The marvels of the internet (Google, Wikipedia, YouTube, email, Amazon).

3. Supermarkets (a wonderful variety of fresh food year-round).

4. A decent safety net for us mature citizens (Social Security and Medicare in USA; similar nets elsewhere).

5. Better communication between races.

6. Much more sophisticated flight simulation and Orbx scenery.

7. The man in the mirror is much wiser.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

em?...nice one Roger, whilst I agree with most of your statement the one thing that has got worse is lack of patience from most people, everyone is rushing around all the time and not seeing or taking in the great things that are right under their noses....

adding to your list though-

reliability of motor vehicles

the ability (pre pandemic) to visit family anywhere in the world easily

automation of some very tedious tasks in life

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

We tried to start a family for a couple of years, then my wife took a couple of pills and in 2000 our first child came along. The other two came along unassisted. Science is amazing.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Good list Rodger , nothing to add from me . I am glad you have #5 on your list , 

this IMHO is the most urgent thing that needs to improve in our country. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I agree with what others have said above.

So after racking my two braincells one of the biggest changes has been flying in RL. Comfortable and reliable aircraft making it, for me anyway, a fearless experience.

Music. Who would have thought you could carry around hours of your cherished music in your pocket, on call at any time. The quality of the earphones is very high too and they are useful when I want to drown out the better halfs nagging!

When the missus had laryngitis for a week and couldn't talk.

AFC Bournemouth getting into the Premier League!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2