PMDG737, how's it going?

wain71

Genuine question, I own 737 and 777 for P3D, not quite ready yet to msfs one yet, lots of outgoings lately, anyway just wondering how any of you are finding the new one in comparison to the p3d version? I read there's no EFB yet, does this really have any negative effect?  I assume all the options are on the FMS? 

Surprised not to have seen a load of screenies on here, was it worth the wait? I'm sure it was.....

So I didn't have the NGXu, so I can only compare to the NGX. I'm loving it, and having a lot of fun. All the options and there in the FMC, I read there's more than the NGXu. Yes there's no efb yet, it's not a total immersion killer but I do miss having the charts in sim (I don't like the navigraph toolbar app) and also missing a proper takeoff and landing calculator, so currently everything is a TOGA takeoff

• Thanks 1

I am thoroughly enjoying the new 737 Wayne. As Joe said, although no EFB yet, all of the options (an there are many) are accessible in the FMS. The plane performs remarkably well in the sim. As in so well, it is comparable in performance to the default G1000 Cessna. Maybe not quite as smooth, but darn close. There have been a very few reports of some stutters at ground level, but overwhelmingly there are more reports of complete smoothness on the ground and in the air. Granted, some lower end systems that may not be the case, but like I said on most average to high end systems the reports of performance have been very good. The cockpit is done very well in my opinion, controls and textures are sharp looking and perform well. The systems are all deeply, and well modeled, and the exterior textures are beautiful. 

I have stopped posting a lot screenshots in general because with my new G9 Odyssey screen, the images would be in 5120x1440 resolution, so they would be all small and stretched out looking if I posted them here. Otherwise, I would be posting a ton of 737 images. She is that good, and overall, just a joy to fly in the sim. :) 

Landon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

a very few reports of some stutters at ground level,

Hi Landon,

just happened to be passing through here and saw this. I suspect these reports are much more to do with the LOD/main thread issues that some of us have been having since SU9 than anything to do with the 737 itself.

(and I don't really do tubes, and definitely not ones I have to actually learn how to fly, but I'm actually quite tempted by this. It does look so purrrty!)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andy1252 said:

Hi Landon,

just happened to be passing through here and saw this. I suspect these reports are much more to do with the LOD/main thread issues that some of us have been having since SU9 than anything to do with the 737 itself.

(and I don't really do tubes, and definitely not ones I have to actually learn how to fly, but I'm actually quite tempted by this. It does look so purrrty!)

Yeah Andy, I agree with you on the potential cause of those stutters. I just wanted to relay what I have been hearing though. Me personally, I have NOT experienced any of those kind of stutters with the 737, or any other aircraft for that matter. :) 

Landon

15 minutes ago, wain71 said:

thanks all for the info, waiting to reinstall MSFS, had PC issues, but once that's done I will be getting her into the fleet...continue with my p3d version for a week or so...

You won't be disappointed Wayne. :) 

• Like 1

I'm having rudder issues with CH Pro Pedals. Much too sensitive, unable to hold center line on takeoff. 

Takes awhile to get cameras and other controls set up correctly.

4 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

I'm having rudder issues with CH Pro Pedals. Much too sensitive, unable to hold center line on takeoff. 

Takes awhile to get cameras and other controls set up correctly.

I have not had any of these challenges with the 737. That said, I had already spent some time adjusting my control sensitivities in MSFS (I use Honeycomb controls) before the 737 was released. For camera setup in all of my aircraft, I use a Microsoft Xbox controller to move my view around the cockpit, saving each view I like to a keyboard key. Takes about 5 mins per aircraft, and then all done :) My install of the 737 tracks down the runway virtually straight, with just a little nudge here and there. 

I have views pretty much as I want them.  I don't have an  Xbox controller.  Playing around with sensitivities trying to get controls right. I guess it I will figure it out. No hurry, though, P3d is still a very viable, more mature platform. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see Avsim is riddled with troubled posts about the 737 ... yet I've had no problems with it at all. Yes - opening up the 737 has suddenly enabled thousands of beta testers and many issues have been flagged - though most of them either aren't show-stoppers or simply haven't happened to me.

Considering it's a highly complex aircraft, I'm surprised how well it performs on my ancient rig (I think I said that about the P3D NGx as well)!

Overall. I'm delighted with it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

I see Avsim is riddled with troubled posts about the 737 ... yet I've had no problems with it at all. Yes - opening up the 737 has suddenly enabled thousands of beta testers and many issues have been flagged - though most of them either aren't show-stoppers or simply haven't happened to me.

Considering it's a highly complex aircraft, I'm surprised how well it performs on my ancient rig (I think I said that about the P3D NGx as well)!

Overall. I'm delighted with it!

Adam, I am AVSIM a lot as well, and most of the complaints I have seen are, shall we say, complaints as opposed to actual issues regarding the 737. I think some people had unrealistic expectations and also there are a lot of people that like to pile on and complain about the developer of said 737. Bottom line for me is the aircraft has been performing very well for me, as has the other new airliner from another developer, the A320. There are heaps of complaints about that one too, but my take is they are similar to the complaints about the 737. I am very happy with both aircraft, and I have been thoroughly enjoying flying them around my Orbx scenery in MSFS. Overall, I think people just like to complain. The better we have it in the sim community, the more we like to rant and yell and be unhappy....or so it seems. :) 

Landon

• Like 1

I have to say, I have done a few flights with her now and I am happy with it all, very good and smooth on my system, likewise with the latest Bus, I will say I look at Avsim but there always seems to be a lot of 'complaining' as opposed to constructive pointers at what might need improving.....I am happy with my purchase for sure, just need a bit more time to enjoy it...

currently seeing some random CTD'S in both MSFS & XP11, however these seem to be more system related and are proving difficult to cure, hoping yesterdays time spent ensuring updates are done and cleaning up junk has worked, failing that a full reinstall of windows and complete cleaning of drives will be my next step followed by days of reinstalling.....

the new Bus with it's EFB interaction is very immersive so that's another one I am happy with, we are now seeing some very good deep addons including the 146 which has just been updated......

• Like 1

Looks beautiful but I still can't even get it started.  Wish it had a "ready to fly" mode.  I'm looking for tutorials so if anyone has a favorite one on how to get it going it would be appreciated.   I think I spend too much time just testing scenery and using the C172,   :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Looks beautiful but I still can't even get it started.  Wish it had a "ready to fly" mode.  I'm looking for tutorials so if anyone has a favorite one on how to get it going it would be appreciated.   I think I spend too much time just testing scenery and using the C172,   :rolleyes:

There's a written tutorial in the documents folder... but you might want you tube...

@Rob Abernathy Try this video...It's a Filbert Flies tutorial where a real life 737 pilot that flies for RyanAir is helping with the tutorial. It's how I learned to fly this bird. You might need to watch it a few times as it's packed full of good information. Covers cold and dark, taxi, takeoff, cruise, descent and landing. 

Edited by Sniper31
  • Like 1