If you use a Microsoft XBox controller with MS2020...

renault

Ever since SU7 I have been plagued with "random" CTD's .
 In SU8 they became worse , and in SU9 I could almost guarantee that I couldn't complete a session without a CTD.

I highlighted the word random, because in the last week or so, I came to realize that there there were two items one of which

seem to be connected with the event.

1) Not all the time, but perhaps 90% or so, a CTD was preceded by a drone toggle movement

2) Since late SU8 / SU9, my controller has been behaving "badly". By this I mean moving the joystick would often result in "jerky" camera movements

or sometimes nothing at all would happen and then the drone  camera would jump to the desired position, rather than moving smoothly.

I was at the point where I had pretty much decided that it was just worn out , even though it was only about 2 yrs old.  As a last step, I decided to do a

google search and found at a MS site that there are firmware updates for XBox controllers and that if one is experiencing problems this should be the first item

to check and apply if needed.

I don't know the model of my controller aside from it being both blue tooth and wireless.  I have it connected by wire to a USB port because

I found that it just destroyed batteries which got to be expensive.

However to update the firmware , you need a app from the Microsoft store called XBox accessories.

Please note that for it to be able to properly update the firmware ,the controller must be connected to your computer through a USB cable.

It will not update through either wifi or bluetooth, but only through its usb connection.

The first time you use the App it will automatically check the controller firmware status and in my case detected that an update was necessary.

Clicking update and you find it does its thing, but it is incredibly slow taking about 3 minutes for the progress bar to complete.

Once it is updated , when ever you use the app you will get the following screen.  As indicated in the screenshot below , click the 3 dots and you will be taken

to the second screen.  You can also change other items on the controller , configure buttons etc. , but I didn't need any of this so it was not investigated

10-After-Installation.png

If you click the box with the 3 dots you  will be taken to the second screen where you can check your firmware status , as well as update the

firmware if that proves to be necessary

If you see that no update is available it  means your firmware is up to date.

20-Check-for-firmware-updates.png

The results...

I have had MS2020 running very stably now for about 2 1/2 hrs. with no issues .  The drone movement is incredibly "silky smooth" and extremely controllable with even the smallest toggle movements.

It is very much improved compared with its behaviour before the firmware update.

I hope this may be of some help to my fellow members as before today, I wasn't even aware that Xbox controller firmware can/should be updated.  

All I can say is that at the present time I am very pleased with the first results. Hopefully MS2020 will now behave itself, but time will tell.

Cheers 

Pete

• Like 2