Previewing KBUR Hollywood Burbank Airport v2 for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Sounds great and looks awesome

I just have a question

In the past this airport had a conflict, causing the vanish of some autogen in the area, or so I read. I saw often posts about that.

Has that issue been solved with this new version?

Thanks

Carlos

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Cygnific said:

Sorry, but this is hardly a improvement. Lots of low resolution textures and the 2d trees look awful.

After some thoughs, i concur to Cygnific analysis.

As a matter of fact, i flew a KSFO KBUR flight last week end, and i was disappointed by the front terminal (shots #2 and #3)

inside modeling would have been a nice addition, at least for this part of Commercial flights terminal.

from the shots above, improvements look more like cosmetic. But i will buy it cause KBUR is one of my top 10 airports

Dom

NB: anything you say will be held against you :lol::P

Edited by MasonDominique
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sigh, had I known a better version would come out later, I wouldn't have wasted money buying the first version considering I won't get this udpate for free :(

With all due respect, it's you product, your platform, etc, but how is this ok? Considering the flight sim market (even after MSFS may have widened the audience 2 years ago) is a relatively small, niche market that is already super saturated (especially MSFS now) with addon scenery products, I think it's reasonable to say that most people really only buy one Airport scenery per actual Airport slowly growing their relatively small collection (compared to all addons available) over time. Having said that, it's one thing when multiple separate devs/publishers produce their own, 100% separate rendition of the same scenery and we are given a choice and it's a whole other thing, when the SAME dev/publisher produces the same product TWICE for the same Airport and then asks people to pay again for the update, all the while people that haven't made the initial purchase get the updated version for the same price older customers already paid, yet they're expected to pay AGAIN....

And I don't want to put Orbx on the spot here, plenty of other devs/publishers out there do this, but this is not ok and is by no means fair, most of us can only afford so much, this hobby is already very expensive and this kind of behaviour is very much akin to the now macro transaction 10,000 DLC model that other software companies have been pushing over the last decade (e.g. Bethesda's $20 for the color blue fiasco)...

Just my 2 cents, I'm not trying to be rude or mean, it's just an observation.

P.S. As an aftertought, will there be a version 3? What about 4? I don't want to have to pay more and more with each update, I'd much rather wait for the best one and buy it then, once.

Edited by turbohawk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

When I saw the title for this post, I though "Great! Let's go see what they did to the interiors of the airport." I realize interiors aren't important to some who buy airports just as some either want or don't want static planes at the airports, but to release a version 2 of an MSFS airport in 2022 and not do anything to the interiors is... surprising. I can't mention other people's products here and I respect that. But I recently saw a YT video for another airport that once again raised the bar for what is possible, and I am not just referring to the interiors. I'm not familiar with KBUR because I haven't bought it. But if you told me the screen shots above were from version 1, I would have believed you. I am sure a lot of hard work went into making version 2 -- I'm not denying that and I the only comment I have about charging for the upgrade is that I understand the need. Matteo doesn't work for free and I wouldn't be unhappy to pay $8 US for a worthwhile upgrade to an airport I've previously purchased. But nothing in what I see above suggests that v2 of KBUR is at the same level as other similarly priced (KBUR v1 + the v2 upgrade together are the same price as the next level airport I am not mentioning by name) airports that are next level and state of the art.

#disappointed

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

VERY disappointed as a paying customer of V1 to have be forced to pay anything for V2 or V3, V4, V5, etc.

Shady business practices are not rewarded with more customers. Shame on you Orbx for entertaining this price model and shame on you Matteo for not simply updating the existing product like countless other scenery developers have done since MSFS launched. I have numerous other airports from other developers that have received major updates and additions to their quality for FREE. We will not be swindled by greed anymore.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Gosh, I was surprised by the comments to this news over at FSElite and then found many of the same here. It just goes to show how varied experiences and opinions can be - that's what make the world such an interesting place! :) 

As for me the current Burbank is one of my faves, and was an amazing release way back in the very early days of MSFS 3rd party airport design. I'm really looking forward to V2! Good one Matteo! Thanks for V2!

Edited by mfahey
Typo Fix
  • Like 2

The fact this is a "paid upgrade" is disgusting and makes me really question any next Orbx purchase. I for one will not be buying this airport for a third time. I remember a time Orbx valued its customers. Those times seem to be slipping away into the greedy darkness that MSFS has created. Looking at you craptain sim and the blatant trash MS lets in the in game store... The discount was a nice gesture, Orbx, but still a swift kick where the sun doesn't shine. Thanks but no thanks for something that should have been rolled out as an update to those that already bought it and might have justified a slight price increase on any that haven't. This double dipping into the wallet thing is getting old. How long till its "done" and I can buy it once? What other airports are you "redoing" so I can hold off and not waste money the first time?

I have been a customer for *so* long and this type of thing is not what makes me feel comfortable making future purchases. You guys have been good to your community, why stop now? Give those that bought it an update to v2 free of charge with the gentlemen's agreement that this airport will continue to improve in the areas even v2 is lacking and increase the base price for those that haven't bought it yet. That's what feels like the right thing to do.  

Definitely not a fan of seeing the 2D trees in a paid v2 after already paying to go from P3D to MSFS.

The first time I was okay with it, it looked well enough from something developed in that era and was pretty much just moving the same airport over to the new platform. But now? The resources are there to go beyond. Other Orbx scenery has taken advantage of 3D trees in MSFS so why not here as well and make it the best as can be for a paid update? It makes me echo what others have said about what else has released already for MSFS and will become a paid upgrade? It makes me hesitant to want to purchase more

Version 2 will be 50% off for returning customers? Nah. I won't be a returning customer if this is this case. This KBUR (and other locations from the same dev) needed a very long awaited update from their posted pictures and performance enhancements. Photogammetry aside, deleting KBUR resulted in FPS improvements more so than other developers and locations in some cases. The airports from the developer do look good but the "enhancement" and charging more money is simply not ok. We were all charged what.....17 us dollars?

This should not be a paid upgrade as some of these locations do require proper updates and enhancements. The pictures sometimes show everything in a perfect light until you attempt to land there in a CRJ with hardly 15 fps once you land.

Not to mention the missing surrounding buildings around there since release.

Matteo for long promised updates for KBUR and LIEO to correct the initials faults of those sceneries but he never delivered.

And now, we have to pay an update to KBUR because he found a way to improve his technics and correct the initial flaws?

Does he plan to do the same for LIEO?

Sorry, this is really bad business Orbx. I bought many Orbx sceneries in the past few months but I think this will ends here. And I surely cross Matteo Veneziani from my purchase list.

I've been a customer since 2008 when I first got the Orbx AU series. Back then a new version was free of charge eg YBBN. It's okay for the developer wanting some income. But in times like now where everything is getting more and more expensive and some items eg cooking oil rare, I'll skip and remain with v1, as money is needed for food and groceries. 

Nevertheless, it looks great! 

Kind regards. 

I can't believe you guys are charging people who already bought it. For an upgrade that brings it to the level of quality it should have been in the first place.

Been an Orbx customer for 10 years now but don't think i'll be coming back anymore.

Edited by blondejfx

I think a lot of people are over-reacting here. Including me :P

This version 2 surely must not become a new habit for all Orbx projects :angry:       ouch scarry...

and, possibly, Orbx might have dithered about this.

But if KBUR is one of your favorite airport, if you already bought it, frankly, 50 % discount is quite good.

Wouldn't you be ready to pay some extra 10€$ for a better scenery and new techs ?

It"s up to Matteo now to prouve he is right.

Let's not shoot on the messenger (on the ambulance).

Dom Mason

I will be purchasing the upgrade of KBUR. The static aircraft install utility will be very useful, answering a definite need. There has been a considerable amount of ill considered comments about entitlement to upgrades. If a developer has spent time on an upgrade, they are entitled to payment for the work done. This is how they make a living, and this is how they can continue to produce products in the future.

Neil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neil said:

I will be purchasing the upgrade of KBUR. The static aircraft install utility will be very useful, answering a definite need. There has been a considerable amount of ill considered comments about entitlement to upgrades. If a developer has spent time on an upgrade, they are entitled to payment for the work done. This is how they make a living, and this is how they can continue to produce products in the future.

Neil

Or, offer free upgrades and still get paid for new purchases from the original version.  This would show goodwill towards current customers, and Orbx would still get money from additional purchases.

There's a reason people feel entitlement to updates, it's because updates are normally free.

6 minutes ago, Cygnific said:

Again you remove my post without even mentioning why! You even remove my reply to Orbx about not wanting it for free but rather see the points added, fixxed.

Makes me look like some greedy person!

I cleaned up a discussion between 2 members that may have become more personal. Nothing more than that, so thanks, and let's move on. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Orbx said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback - some of it rather direct! 

But... we heard you. So, we have decided (together with Matteo) to make v2 of Burbank Airport available for free to current customers. As Matteo has spent significant time working on this new version, there will be a slight price increase for KBUR v2 for new customers, launching soon.

Thank you for hearing us out! :) I can't speak for everyone else, but personally, this is very much appreciated! Many other developers/publishers might have just brushed our comments off, so thank you!

Having read some of the other user comments regarding entitlement and paying people for their work, I think I need to clarify something and I'm sure most of us here would agree with. The issue at hand is NOT paying for an upgraded product per se. As a software developer IRL myself, I understand very well how a lot of work can go unseen and unappreciated and that is not ok either. The issue I have and I'm sure most others have is that when we purchased v1, the expectation was that it was either the final version or any required and certainly functional updates would be included for free. If, for example, the store page of the v1 product would explicitly state that further paid and improved versions (premium versions if you will) would then be released at a later stage for an extra cost, I (personally at least) would have no problem with this as I would have been fairly informed. The problem was that no such statement was ever made to customers of the initial version and then we were asked to pay an extra amount to get the same update that new customers would get for free.

A fair model to all parties (I think) would be to clearly state that there will be a tiered release from the get-go and then have each tier a little more expensive than the previous, thus, for example, v1 could cost say $20, then v2 say $25 and customers that already own v1 could just pay the $5 difference. I think that would be fair to both the developers for their extra work and the customer.

Again, just my 2 cents. Thanks again for hearing us out Orbx :)

Edited by turbohawk
  • Upvote 3

Apologies to Orbx and Matteo if my post came off too harsh. I love the work Matteo does and love the products Orbx puts out, and I want to continue to love them for years to come as a loyal customer. Thank you for listening to us.

• Thanks 1

EFPpzbS.gif

I think all the bam boom bang took off becuase Orbx has never charged for an update, and that was odd

Understandable, but unusual and nowadays people, we, are very sentitive when it comes to money as someone above said, everything is getting very expensive and there are priorities, but also you don't need to buy it right now. I usually save money profiting the discounts all year round and specially the end of the year one. I used to take 100.000 my currency to buy and catch up during that sale. I ended having everything for P3D that way. Now I'm slower since covid spoiled my financials but little by little you'l get what you want.

The model proposed by Turbohawk sounds fair, it is used by some in simmarket.

Thanks for listening to the community indeed

As per my unreplied question I assume the issue will be gone

Cheers

Carlos

On 5/3/2022 at 8:53 PM, Orbx said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback - some of it rather direct! 

But... we heard you. So, we have decided (together with Matteo) to make v2 of Burbank Airport available for free to current customers. As Matteo has spent significant time working on this new version, there will be a slight price increase for KBUR v2 for new customers, launching soon.

Does the “free availability” include those who purchased on the MSFS Marketplace or just only on the Orbx client?