This Week's Meaningless Topic (#83) (April 9)

Hi all. My wife and I are technological troglodytes who have not entered the modern digital world of social media. Except for this forum and email, I am not "in touch." We don't own a smartphone and actually still frequently use snail-mail. That said, I know that Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, and the like play a welcome role in many lives, and I respect that. Which leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What social media venues do you use, and why do you value them?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I don't even have a mobile phone. Had one for years (since 1987) but hardly used it so cancelled. This is as close as I get to social media - seems like a big time waster. I do use Wikipedia and Google Maps a lot.

Larry

• Like 5

The only social media I reluctantly use is Facebook to stay in touch with my family, who use it in varying degrees, and my large number of musician friends who use it heavily - those who are still performing find it essential for advertising, maintaining a fan base and live streaming.  I have produced live streaming events for a number from my home studio and they have been very effective.

• Like 4

Absolute NO to "Social Media" like Facebook, etc. I don't and won't!!!

I enjoy YouTube videos, especially aviation and nautical history channels.  I particularly enjoy "Aviation 101" (Josh Flowers) and Steveo1Kinevo.  I obviously enjoy this forum, and use email extensively.  I also use Wikipedia and some other sites.

We (wife & i) were late in joining the cell phone world.  I only got one when my mother was dying (2011) and had to be immediately accessible at all times.  Since then I have found it handy, and at times necessary, but I only use it occasionally for voice and brief text messages.  It's a "clamshell" model.  I'm told it is a "smart phone" but if it is I don't use whatever those features are, just voice and text.

Ken

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

Absolute NO to "Social Media" like Facebook, etc. I don't and won't!!!

I enjoy YouTube videos, especially aviation and nautical history channels.  I particularly enjoy "Aviation 101" (Josh Flowers) and Steveo1Kinevo.  I obviously enjoy this forum, and use email extensively.  I also use Wikipedia and some other sites.

We (wife & i) were late in joining the cell phone world.  I only got one when my mother was dying (2011) and had to be immediately accessible at all times.  Since then I have found it handy, and at times necessary, but I only use it occasionally for voice and brief text messages.  It's a "clamshell" model.  I'm told it is a "smart phone" but if it is I don't use whatever those features are, just voice and text.

Ken

That's very much the same for me.

Not interested in Facebook one little bit.

cheers

Gumby

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1