I'm absolutely clueless about a new computer build in 2022...

I haven't been in the flight-sim community for a couple years during the pandemic as I just haven't had the money or time, also the fact my computer is now 11 years old doesn't help. The funny thing is after upgrading the graphics card to a GTX 1080 ti several years back the machine still handles the majority of first person shooter titles smoothly, even though it's an i7 2600K overclocked at 5.1Ghz and has been that way since day one, lol. I'm in no way new to computer building, I am however new to what's the best CPU for MSFS 2020 and P3D and that's what I need some help with, especially a motherboard and CPU. That said, I have managed to get over a major hurdle and that's getting a GPU. Based on all my EVGA purchases over the years I qualified as an "elite" member and bought the RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming edition. I also purchased an EVGA 1600 T2 power supply as I got it for half price (yes, I know it's overkill but paying more for a PSU that's half as powerful made no sense). Money for this build isn't an issue, Im interested in getting a *STABLE* powerful build for flight simming.

Any help and/or suggestions would be *HIGHLY* appreciated as I just haven't kept up with the computer hardware scene for the last six years.

Cheers
Jocko

• Like 1

Jocko, I can help you. I have recently built two, top end PC's for my personal flight simulator use. I also have a long history of building PC's (mostly for flight simming and gaming). Further, I built both a high end AMD build and also a high end Intel build, and I could recommend both. I hold no allegiance one way or the other, as both AMD and Intel bring great things to the table right now. So, based on what you said above, here is each build:

AMD Build

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x CPU

Gigabyte Aorus Master or Elite X570 Motherboard

G.Skill 32 or 64 Gb Trident Z Neo Series DDR 3600 Mhz AMD RAM (*note this RAM is specific to Ryzen. Not specific Ryzen RAM will work, but not necessarily to peak capacity)

INTEL Build

Intel I9 12900k Alder Lake CPU

Gigabyte Aorus Master or Elite Z690 Motherboard for DDR5 RAM

G.Skill 32 or 64 Trident Z5 RGB DDR 6000 RAM

**Some notes on the DDR5 RAM...the Alder Lake platform works fine with either DDR4 or DDR5 RAM. Originally, DDR5 RAM was hard to find and expensive, but it is more available and cheaper now. Either RAM works fine, and there is not much difference in bench marks. HOWEVER, the motherboard are not interchangeable. So, if you buy an Intel Z690 motherboard, ENSURE that is supports whichever RAM you decide to go with (DDR4 or DDR5). The general thought is if you are looking for cost savings, go DDR4, but if you are going future proof thinking go DDR5. I went DDR5 and have had no issues. Also, feel free to look for other RAM options. I conducted LOTS of research when I built these, and there is other great RAM. It's just that the G.Skill kits I mentioned kept showing up in the top 5 lists for gaming builds every time I would dig deeper.

***Motherboard notes. Of course, you don't have to go with Gigabyte for the motherboards. I have just had good experience with them as of late, and both these builds turned out great. The key is X570 for the Ryzen 5950x and Z690 for the Alder Lake 12900k. 

Final Notes: BOTH of these builds run MSFS very well. I installed a MSI Radeon AMD 6900XT in the Ryzen build and a EVGA 3080Ti in the Intel build. Your 3090 will work well in either. I would also recommend an M.2  NVMe drive (or two) as well. You can buy 2TB ones now for decent prices.

Feel free to ask me more questions. I am leaving on a  Vegas trip later today, so I might not respond right away. But, you still have a few hours :)

Cheers!

Landon

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for replying, it's greatly appreciated Landon. 10 to 12 years ago this forum used to be full of new threads every day, seems quiet these days... Thanks for being one of the people still helping people out. I now have a good base to work with from that information :) It's interesting how G.Skill Memory is still some of the best memory you can buy as I've been using it in my last two builds and I've never had any issues with it, it's always been stable for me even under tight timings. My 3090 Ti FTW Ultra finally arrived from EVGA in the U.S. today, so now I can finally start ordering the other parts; hopefully I can get my hands on one of those boards, I'll let you know how it goes.

I've never been a "fan boy" of any brand, I've always gone with what has the most stability and performance for the buck. If you or anyone else has any input regarding Intel vs AMD I would *LOVE* to hear about it, especially in regards to how many threads MSFS 2020 has written into it and how many cores it will *TRULY* take advantage of.

Again, thanks so much for the info Landon, talk to you soon and enjoy Sin City! ;)
Cheers!

Andrew 

• Like 1

I'm seeing quite a few people having to flash the BIOS of the Gigabyte Aorus Z690 just to get it to post... Is there any way to tell if this has been remedied? Any way of checking to see what version BIOS is now shipping with these boards? This is one of the reasons I've been cringing at the thought of building a new machine in this day and age, lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Jocko Flocko said:

I'm seeing quite a few people having to flash the BIOS of the Gigabyte Aorus Z690 just to get it to post... Is there any way to tell if this has been remedied? Any way of checking to see what version BIOS is now shipping with these boards? This is one of the reasons I've been cringing at the thought of building a new machine in this day and age, lol.

Hey Jocko,

As I said above, I JUST installed a new Gigabyte Z690 motherboard literally last week and did not have to flash the bios. I think maybe that was back in the earlier days when the Alder Lake CPU was first released. All I can say is that I have not hat to do that. Further, both the AMD 5950x and the Intel 12900k builds I have been running MSFS on WITHOUT any overclocking. I say that because normally, I am an overclocker and have never had any issues from overclocking. BUT, I have not had to do that with EITHER of these two builds in MSFS. Now, I run MSFS on a mix of Ultra and High End settings at a resolution of 5990x1440 (a 2k ultra wide resolution) and I fly complex aircraft such as the PMDG DC-6 and have smooth flights into and out of graphically intense airports such as the newly released Renton airport, which can be heavy on FPS. I can say that both the AMD 5950x and the Intel 12900k, in my experience, enable this. There IS definitely a difference when it comes to motherboards though. The higher end motherboards do matter, at least in my experience. If it can be affordable in your budget, then go high end on the MB. More stability, better temps, and more stable overclocking if/when you do go that route. Also, in both cases (AMD 5950x and Intel 12900k) I run a really good 360mm AIO (all in one) cooler. Cooling us ultra important with these higher end CPUS (and GPUS), and keeping your case, CPU and MB temps down is vastly important. Do not skimp in the cooling arena. 

Landon

• Like 2

Thanks for the great info Landon, the only reason I asked was because over on Newegg there are folks still claiming to be having POST issues as of two weeks ago. But either way, like you said, the board is rock solid and stable under heavy loads and it's VRM is just incredible; overkill really. Have you heard much about the MSI MPG Z690 Carbon board? What are your thoughts on it? Both boards are fantastic but when I saw the Carbon and it's average reviews I became curious...

-Andrew

• Like 1

Landon, when you see this, what cooler are you using? I plan on getting a giant floor standing case as I'm sick of running out of drive space and I hate small confined cases, even full EATX "towers" are to small in my opinion, they trap to much heat because components have gotten bigger over the years to dissipate the heat they generate. 

• Like 1

I just finished building my machine,

Intel 12900k

Asus rtx 3090

Asus Z690 Maximus Hero mother board

32gb G.skill Trident Z5 DDR5 ram

I went with a corsair 7000D case and a Icue H170i Elite AIO cooler.

Temps are good, heats up stock a little bit under high load (bench testing 95 deg C), this could be due to the thermal paste (just using the pre applied one).

I have no extra fans yet and it is a massive case and cooler.

Tried OC the systems using Asus Ai over clock and it put to much voltage through the chip in my opinion. To be honest I think it is a waste of time to OC this chip, as in stock it runs P3dV5 with out any issue with max sliders.

• Like 2

I also went with the corsair 1600 psu, most I have seen in watt output is 650ish

Temps flying in P3d, the max I have hit in stock is about 70 (with OC I was up around 90 at times).

I hold around 30 fps, but everything is maxed out and even when the FPS drops (low 20's) it is still smooth.

It is so far, set and forget for me.

I had MSI in my old 8700k system but after looking at reviews I went with the ASUS board and I am very impressed. I did do a Bios update asap do take advantage of the newer XMP profiles.

As Landon said go with the brand you trust.

Edited by anzac1977
  • Like 2

@anzac1977Thanks for the great information, I've never done water cooling as I've always been scared of a leakage and the maintenance in the old days, lol. However now with these AIO setups I'll definitely be installing a water setup like you have. I'm just not interested in all that RGB stuff, I just want the biggest radiator and fan setup to dissipate as much heat as possible. It's going to be warm enough inside my case with that RTX 3090 Ti FTW3, I don't want another massive Noctura heat sink and two fans sitting in there taking up space. The latest "black chrome" version of Noctura's flagship HSF, the NH-D15, is almost as big as the motherboard! lol. From what I've read it works fantastic, but you can't get to any of your components after the darn thing is installed! lol.

Cheers
-Andrew 

• Like 2

Hi Jocko,

No personal experience with that particular MSI board you asked about, but I have used MSI (and ASUS) boards in the past that worked very well. As for cooling, in the AMD build I used a Fractal 360mm AIO (can't remember the exact model right now as I am still in Vegas). In my Intel 12900k build I went with an EK 360mm AIO. The advantages of that cooler are that, despite the RGB, it is an excellent cooler and has some of the best cooling ratings available right now in the 360mm AIO category. If you are not an RGB fan, which I am not either, just don't plugin the RGB connectors on the motherboard. The EK is an outstanding cooler, and my system averages around 45 degrees Celsius while running either P3Dv5 or MSFS. I too am a fan of large cases. Airflow is ULTRA important for good cooling. A very effective cooling setup is a large case, with a push pull setup of fans. Mount your AIO in the top of the case to pull in cool air over the radiator, thereby cooling the water in the radiator. Fans in the front of the case pull cool in from front of case, directing it across the GPU and MB and then you have a strong exhaust fan (or two) on the back and/or bottom to expel warm air. Extremely effective cooling like this.

Landon

• Like 2

Great info Landon, again, it's greatly appreciated. The case I bought, the Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL, will accept a 420mm radiator in the top like you describe, so I went with the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 as it seems to have done really well in many reviews, especially one I saw by Gamers Nexus. So I ordered everything this afternoon and stuck with your hardware suggestions:

Intel Core i9 12900K
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO Water Cooler
Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL Case
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000 CAS 36 (The CAS 32 was outrageously expensive)
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra
EVGA Supernova T2 1600 watt PSU
1X 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2
1X 2TB SAMSUNG 870 Evo Series 2.5" Standard SSD

I have two new 2TB solid state drives I just purchased which I'm also going to end up throwing in this build as well from the computer I'm on right now. I also have two 4TB 7200RPM regular HDD's that will also go in the build mainly for mass storage. I have so many of those external USB 3.0 drives I've lost count, everything I have is double backed up on those external USB drives, lol. Hope you're having fun down in Vegas and thank you so much for the great help. I'll post images of the build in this thread when I get started. :) 

Cheers!
-Andrew

Edited by Jocko Flocko
  • Like 1

Sounds great Jocko! Glad to be of service. You have done well with the Artic Freezer II cooler, that is an excellent choice. I keep up with those same hardware reviews from Gamer's Nexus, so I know you good that cooler is. Good choice on the case as well! I look forward to hearing how the build goes. And yes, I am having a heck of a good time here in Vegas :D

Landon

• Like 1

Finally received the very last component I needed today, the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420, man this thing is massive but it fits perfectly into the Fractal Design Meshify II XL case which is an absolute *BEAST* of a tower; it looks beautiful as well. I don't think there's any feature that wasn't thought of when they designed this case, the cable management is simply superb with yards of room to spare. Everything came from NewEgg piece by piece over a span of about 8 days, not all in the same shipment like normal. Must have something to do with the supply chain issues... This Q Flash feature on these Gigabyte boards is handy, being able to flash the board without anything connected or plugged into the MOBO except the PSU is one heck of a time saver as there's no way of telling what BIOS have been installed and it literally takes just a minute using a 2 to 16 GB USB 2.0 drive formatted in FAT32 and placed in the USB 2.0 port on the board.

Full assembly begins tomorrow. ;) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jocko Flocko said:

Finally received the very last component I needed today, the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420, man this thing is massive but it fits perfectly into the Fractal Design Meshify II XL case which is an absolute *BEAST* of a tower; it looks beautiful as well. I don't think there's any feature that wasn't thought of when they designed this case, the cable management is simply superb with yards of room to spare. Everything came from NewEgg piece by piece over a span of about 8 days, not all in the same shipment like normal. Must have something to do with the supply chain issues... This Q Flash feature on these Gigabyte boards is handy, being able to flash the board without anything connected or plugged into the MOBO except the PSU is one heck of a time saver as there's no way of telling what BIOS have been installed and it literally takes just a minute using a 2 to 16 GB USB 2.0 drive formatted in FAT32 and placed in the USB 2.0 port on the board.

Full assembly begins tomorrow. ;) 

Great update! I am a fan of the Fractal Meshify line. My current flight sim rig is in a Meshify case, and you are right, it's a beauty of a case. If you haven't built a new PC in awhile, there are a good plethora of really cool new cases out (there are some turds to, so as always, it pays to do your research ;) ). And yes, the Gigabyte gamer focused boards, especially their higher end models, have some very nice features. There are some negative reviews and comments regarding Gigabyte boards out there, mostly regarding BIOS update issues, but the last 5 systems I've built in my home all use Gigabyte gamer boards of one fashion or another, across the Ryzen and Intel spectrum, and I have had nothing but really good results with them. 

Looking forward to see how the build goes!

Landon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would update you Landon. I had to go away on a business trip for a month to Japan and only just finished assembling, installing and getting everything up and running about a week ago. 

The system you recommended works *FLAWLESSLY*, absolutely rock solid performance and stability, I can't thank you enough for helping me choose the right parts I am so happy, this machine has exceeded all my expectations. I'm more than impressed with what this combination of parts can do and the clocks I've obtained, not only that but I think I was really lucky with the CPU I received because I'm not seeing the temperatures the majority of people are experiencing with the 12900K, the maximum temperature I've seen so far in MSFS is 77C and that happens only for a few milliseconds according to MSI afterburner when *LOADING* the sim from the nVME drive. During flight I average 39 to 58 C on the CPU. I'm using the "Enhanced Multi-core Performance" setting in the BIOS which brings the clock speed up to 5.24Ghz along with the default X.M.P. profile for the DDR5 memory. I haven't had to lower any speeds or timings and the memory works flawlessly at it's advertised speeds and timings. It's a very fast machine especially when coupled with the RTX 3090 Ti.

Here's a couple shots of the build and the final product.

001n.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

• Like 4

That is great news and glad I could help! Also, with the 12900k, mine does not run hot at all. I think the heat issue is that many peeps don't work on the case to keep it cool enough for this CPU. If you get a good cooler, like you did, and also set up your case properly then it stays nice and cool. I am flying the 737 in MSFS and my temps are at 45 right now. 

Anyhow, I am so glad to hear you are happy and I hope you get lots of fun now! :D

Landon 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Condor said:

You are certainly a wealth of information Landon. Just as a matter of interest, what monitor are you using?

Thanks

Paul

I am using a Samsung G9 Odyessey. It is a super ultra wide, super curved screen 2k Gsync gaming screen. The refresh rate goes as high as 240hz (or somewhere in that range). MSFS looks amazing on it (as well as other games). The cockpit wraps around you very nicely, without having to line up three screens of the exact same type to have that same cockpit look. It is expensive, but it has been on sale a lot as of late.

And thanks for the nice comments :) 

Landon

Thanks for the quick reply Landon. I have to tell you that is one serious drool worthy monitor...basically 3 in 1...I am very impressed!

I priced them here in Oz and $2300AU.

For the moment, my Acer 34" curved will do me.

Cheers

Condor

11 hours ago, Condor said:

Thanks for the quick reply Landon. I have to tell you that is one serious drool worthy monitor...basically 3 in 1...I am very impressed!

I priced them here in Oz and $2300AU.

For the moment, my Acer 34" curved will do me.

Cheers

Condor

Yeah, she is a beauty and pricey. When I got mine a few months ago, I go it off of Amazon for $1200 USD on sale. Very happy with this purchase. But, nothing wrong with your 34" curved Acer. Before the G9, I was using an ASUS 34" curved screen that was very capable. It now serves as one of the monitors on my second PC (the one I am using for reading these forums :) ). 

• Like 1

@Sniper31 I just ordered that exact make and model from Amazon.ca for $1798.00 CDN. It's on sale right now with 10 percent off in case anyone is interested. :) Right now I'm using my coffee table parked in front of my Samsung 75" Q60T QLED TV. It's fantastic for immersion but I've got nowhere to put all my avionics, pitch wheel, throttle quadrant, etc... :lol: Can't wait to get everything back on the desk.

1 minute ago, Jocko Flocko said:

@Sniper31 I just ordered that exact make and model from Amazon.ca for $1798.00 CDN. It's on sale right now with 10 percent off in case anyone is interested. :) Right now I'm using my coffee table parked in front of my Samsung 75" Q60T QLED TV. It's fantastic for immersion but I've got nowhere to put all my avionics, pitch wheel, throttle quadrant, etc... :lol: Can't wait to get everything back on the desk.

I predict you will LOVE that display once it arrives and you get it setup. I assume you have watched some videos on it? It is a little more complex to setup versus a normal display, but nothing to difficult. I will look forward to hear how much you like it :) 

Landon

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2022 at 9:33 PM, Sniper31 said:

Jocko, I can help you. I have recently built two, top end PC's for my personal flight simulator use. I also have a long history of building PC's (mostly for flight simming and gaming). Further, I built both a high end AMD build and also a high end Intel build, and I could recommend both. I hold no allegiance one way or the other, as both AMD and Intel bring great things to the table right now. So, based on what you said above, here is each build:

AMD Build

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x CPU

Gigabyte Aorus Master or Elite X570 Motherboard

G.Skill 32 or 64 Gb Trident Z Neo Series DDR 3600 Mhz AMD RAM (*note this RAM is specific to Ryzen. Not specific Ryzen RAM will work, but not necessarily to peak capacity)

INTEL Build

Intel I9 12900k Alder Lake CPU

Gigabyte Aorus Master or Elite Z690 Motherboard for DDR5 RAM

G.Skill 32 or 64 Trident Z5 RGB DDR 6000 RAM

**Some notes on the DDR5 RAM...the Alder Lake platform works fine with either DDR4 or DDR5 RAM. Originally, DDR5 RAM was hard to find and expensive, but it is more available and cheaper now. Either RAM works fine, and there is not much difference in bench marks. HOWEVER, the motherboard are not interchangeable. So, if you buy an Intel Z690 motherboard, ENSURE that is supports whichever RAM you decide to go with (DDR4 or DDR5). The general thought is if you are looking for cost savings, go DDR4, but if you are going future proof thinking go DDR5. I went DDR5 and have had no issues. Also, feel free to look for other RAM options. I conducted LOTS of research when I built these, and there is other great RAM. It's just that the G.Skill kits I mentioned kept showing up in the top 5 lists for gaming builds every time I would dig deeper.

***Motherboard notes. Of course, you don't have to go with Gigabyte for the motherboards. I have just had good experience with them as of late, and both these builds turned out great. The key is X570 for the Ryzen 5950x and Z690 for the Alder Lake 12900k. 

Final Notes: BOTH of these builds run MSFS very well. I installed a MSI Radeon AMD 6900XT in the Ryzen build and a EVGA 3080Ti in the Intel build. Your 3090 will work well in either. I would also recommend an M.2  NVMe drive (or two) as well. You can buy 2TB ones now for decent prices.

Feel free to ask me more questions. I am leaving on a  Vegas trip later today, so I might not respond right away. But, you still have a few hours :)

Cheers!

Landon

Thanks for the suggestion :)

• Like 1

Hello Jocko,

Nice rig you have built. I like reading about other builds, and both platforms have certainly shown amazing results. I have just recently upgraded to Z690 etc.

Been using Thermaltake towers for many years and this time I went crazy. AHT600 case.

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z690 Aorus LGA1700

Memory : Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 64GB 5600MHz

CPU : Intel i9 12900K

GPU : Gigabyte 2080ti Extreme 12gb (next project is my new gpu 3090ti). Price is still high in Oz.

I am using a Samsung 49" Curve monitor, and it is amazing with my new rig. Upgrading to new 49", the finance officer would not be happy. LOL.

Great stuff. 

Regards

Sam

DSC_0015.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 1:06 AM, Jocko Flocko said:

Just thought I would update you Landon. I had to go away on a business trip for a month to Japan and only just finished assembling, installing and getting everything up and running about a week ago. 

The system you recommended works *FLAWLESSLY*, absolutely rock solid performance and stability, I can't thank you enough for helping me choose the right parts I am so happy, this machine has exceeded all my expectations. I'm more than impressed with what this combination of parts can do and the clocks I've obtained, not only that but I think I was really lucky with the CPU I received because I'm not seeing the temperatures the majority of people are experiencing with the 12900K, the maximum temperature I've seen so far in MSFS is 77C and that happens only for a few milliseconds according to MSI afterburner when *LOADING* the sim from the nVME drive. During flight I average 39 to 58 C on the CPU. I'm using the "Enhanced Multi-core Performance" setting in the BIOS which brings the clock speed up to 5.24Ghz along with the default X.M.P. profile for the DDR5 memory. I haven't had to lower any speeds or timings and the memory works flawlessly at it's advertised speeds and timings. It's a very fast machine especially when coupled with the RTX 3090 Ti.

Here's a couple shots of the build and the final product.

001n.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Hello Jocko, I really like your CPU. Thanks for sharing your CPU picture with us. I have recently found https://fitmymoney.com/how-to-borrow-money-a-step-by-step-guide/ website where I found an article on how to borrow money with a step-by-step guide. And by reading that article, I borrowed money from the bank and now I am all ready to buy a new computer for gaming.

Nice, I really love it and after seeing your CPU. Now, I also want to customize my CPU.

Edited by MarkJordan

@aviator49That is perhaps one the most futuristic looking cases I have ever seen, looks very cool. It reminds me of the science fiction style electronics and medical bay units seen in the 1979 movie Alien, nicely done!

@MarkJordanAll I heard from people on various YouTube video's is how "hard" it is to keep these i9 12900K CPU's cool, it's not hard at all if you use the right hardware and keep the airflow inside the computer case moving fast. I have my 12900K sitting at 5.2 and I've *NEVER* once seen the CPU temperature go over 80C under maximum load with my clock settings which is simply setting the CPU "Enhanced Multi-Core Performance" ratio to 52. The DDR5 6000 memory has also been rock solid as as I've been able to run the memory with it's preset X.M.P. profile selected in the motherboards memory section. I have been using these clock speeds since day one and have yet to see a single lock up or blue screen due to anything hardware related. I'm absolutely overjoyed with this build, yes, it was very expensive, especially since I built it just before prices started to come down. The video card was the most expensive component making up 50% of the total cost of the build.

• Like 1