Too old to serve?

I only did 7 years as an Infantyman, best years of my life- biggest regret- getting out.....you can't teach experience, would go back in a heartbeat but I think my knees would argue loudly!!....as a soldier humour got us through some of the most difficult times, especially when someone doesn't come back.....:( 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, wain71 said:

I only did 7 years as an Infantyman, best years of my life- biggest regret- getting out.....you can't teach experience, would go back in a heartbeat but I think my knees would argue loudly!!....as a soldier humour got us through some of the most difficult times, especially when someone doesn't come back.....:( 

I spent eight years overseas with the American military as a civilian. To this day, I have not encountered better humor than those guys came up with. Clever, insightful, and funny.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

I only did 7 years as an Infantyman, best years of my life- biggest regret- getting out.....you can't teach experience, would go back in a heartbeat but I think my knees would argue loudly!!

My Infantry knees hate me too. I have stairs in my house that I go up and down all day and boy, do they curse me out :) 

Landon

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

At my age and in my condition I can't shoot or fight as I have done before and war would have to come to my door - but I could still make various things such as Molotov cocktails if someone else could throw them .....

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Myself I was in the RAF took the Exams over in Portsmouth at the College there, but then the bitter blow as I did not do well in the exams so I was offered typing would you believe at RAF Hereford. Then took the exams again finally passed and ended up working on the V Bombers. Round about the time of the Cuban Crisis. Anybody remember that. Happy Days. Thanks Derek.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have never been to war and with on going health issues

never will be. 

I think those who have served are very brave hero's.

It's sad to see what is going on in the Ukraine and I feel for

those innocent people under Putin as well.

Not everyone wins in war.

cheers

Gumby

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I have never been to war and with on going health issues

never will be. 

I think those who have served are very brave hero's.

It's sad to see what is going on in the Ukraine and I feel for

those innocent people under Putin as well.

Not everyone wins in war.

cheers

Gumby

I've seen war up close and personal and it's a terrible thing.  My prayers are for all the people in Ukraine that had nothing to do with the events leading up to this.

USN '67-71.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4