NVIDIA crashes in P3D

Jack Sawyer

Hi guys, it's been a while since I last posted.  Been doing other things but occasionally get a flight in.

Today I was trying to make a wintry flight in P3D 5.2.22.27615.

But before I did that I updated the NVIDIA driver to 511.23.

The flight was from KBOS to KPSM, Active Sky and ASCA on as usual.

Using the GTN as usual.

The VRAM use was 4.1 of 10.

But then I got the dreaded black screen and this box.

asuAHY3.jpg

So I rebooted the PC and tried it again.

Same thing, roughly 35-25 miles away from KPSM I get the crash.

So I went to NVIDIA's site and got driver 472.12.  It was the only one I could find for my GTX 1080TI.

Installed it, rebooted, and tried to make the same flight.

Same thing.  Black screen and this box.

Anyone have any idea why this is doing this?  It was fine when I last made a flight which was maybe a month ago.

Any help is much appreciated.

By the way, Martyn has contacted me, he's fine.

Jack

Jack, good to see you post, although not for the best reason. That DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error is a major pain. AS you are probably aware, there can be a litany of reasons for it. Trying a different driver like you did is of course a good attempt, but there are always other possibilities. I have personally had this error a few times over the life of P3D v4 and V5, and it's always been for different reasons. I last had it after the new version 5.3 of P3D first came out, and could not fix it. Then, Lockheed Martin released the hotfix update, and I have not had that error since. I assume you have installed the latest P3D v5.3 hotfix update already. If not, try that. Otherwise, I can only guess what might be the cause. Usual suspects, and other new third party addons installed? New scenery, sim utility or anything? Any hardware changes to your system like memory or anything? I've never had a Windows update cause this error, but you never know. Beyond that, I cannot think of anything else. Maybe someone else can bring up some ideas.

Good to hear Martyn is okay, please send him my regards when you next communicate with him. 

Cheers!

Landon

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Jack, good to see you post, although not for the best reason. That DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error is a major pain. AS you are probably aware, there can be a litany of reasons for it. Trying a different driver like you did is of course a good attempt, but there are always other possibilities. I have personally had this error a few times over the life of P3D v4 and V5, and it's always been for different reasons. I last had it after the new version 5.3 of P3D first came out, and could not fix it. Then, Lockheed Martin released the hotfix update, and I have not had that error since. I assume you have installed the latest P3D v5.3 hotfix update already. If not, try that. Otherwise, I can only guess what might be the cause. Usual suspects, and other new third party addons installed? New scenery, sim utility or anything? Any hardware changes to your system like memory or anything? I've never had a Windows update cause this error, but you never know. Beyond that, I cannot think of anything else. Maybe someone else can bring up some ideas.

Good to hear Martyn is okay, please send him my regards when you next communicate with him. 

Cheers!

Landon

Thanks Landon but I'm running P3D 5.2.22.27615, not 5.3.  I have no desire to go to 5.3 as this version was running perfectly for a long time.

And I haven't made one single change since last month except for the NVIDIA driver. I wish I knew the driver I had installed before this fiasco.

So, no changes to hardware, no new add-ons, no updates to addons of P3D, only the driver and not running the PC for a month.

I guess what I really want to know is what's the most stable driver for this version of P3D and this video card.

This is really annoying, I was this close to completely removing desktop simulation from my life and staying focused on woodworking but I have so darned much $$$$ tied up in Orbx's P3D stuff I don't want to bin it, yet.  And I still have absolutely no desire to get MSFS till PMDG has the 737 (I read it's this close), the 747, and the 777 and A2A's planes.  So I think hell will freeze over before that happens.

Thanks for your help Landon.

I haven't had this in 5.3, however I haven't used it in a couple of weeks.....there are pages of info on Avsim regarding this issue....I did get this a few times with 5.2...hope you get it sorted, so frustrating when sim goes sideways...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, wain71 said:

I haven't had this in 5.3, however I haven't used it in a couple of weeks.....there are pages of info on Avsim regarding this issue....I did get this a few times with 5.2...hope you get it sorted, so frustrating when sim goes sideways...

Thanks Wain, I don’t go to that site, it’s um, different.  

On 1/17/2022 at 6:47 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Using the GTN as usual

Hello Jack, if that is the ReailtyXP GTN I have just had an update notification for P3Dv5 compatability.

I have P3Dv5.3 with the GTN750 and they are working well together :)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Smudger said:

Hello Jack, if that is the ReailtyXP GTN I have just had an update notification for P3Dv5 compatability.

I have P3Dv5.3 with the GTN750 and they are working well together :)

Thanks, haven’t seen an update as I’m still using 5.2.

This happened yesterday with me, same new driver, same error, except it was in 5.3 hotfix 1 latest one, what i did was turning off the computer, and unplug and plug the video card the memory, also all all cables behind the case, hdmi these you know, then i searched for windows updates, nothing, except that i clicked in optional updates and a list showed like some weird things, pci express, usb and bla bla bla, i chose them all and update, restarted the pc, did fly a lot today and no error appeared, other thing i also gave my video card a breath, lowered inside P3D5 settings in Display settings the Texture Resolution to medium since i can't see difference, i fly 4k in my 49 inch tv used as monitor, AA none and FXAA ON, what matter to me is autogen density i like to keep all forward and draw distance very high, its doing fine my video card is a 1070gtx 8gb. You should try that.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Luquinhas said:

This happened yesterday with me, same new driver, same error, except it was in 5.3 hotfix 1 latest one, what i did was turning off the computer, and unplug and plug the video card the memory, also all all cables behind the case, hdmi these you know, then i searched for windows updates, nothing, except that i clicked in optional updates and a list showed like some weird things, pci express, usb and bla bla bla, i chose them all and update, restarted the pc, did fly a lot today and no error appeared, other thing i also gave my video card a breath, lowered inside P3D5 settings in Display settings the Texture Resolution to medium since i can't see difference, i fly 4k in my 49 inch tv used as monitor, AA none and FXAA ON, what matter to me is autogen density i like to keep all forward and draw distance very high, its doing fine my video card is a 1070gtx 8gb. You should try that.

Thanks, but why unplug everything?

On 1/17/2022 at 6:47 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Anyone have any idea why this is doing this?

Could be for any number of reasons.

One workaround (albeit technical) is this:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/609730-dxgi_error_device_hung-temporary-solution/

It will work for any driver.

Also, if you run RTSS (Rivatuner Statistics Server) to limit your frame rate outside the P3D application and/or use it for OSD (Video Card Monitoring Overlay) while using P3D, that is a well-known cause of DXGI errors on *some* PCs.

No-one appears to know what the underlying causes of them are, but adding a couple of lines to your Windows registry and/or uninstalling RTSS (if you have it installed) are two very good methods to reduce or eliminate the issue — I haven't had an DXGI issue on either my old GPU or my new one since I made these changes.

• Like 2

Just now, F737NG said:

Could be for any number of reasons.

One workaround (albeit technical) is this:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/609730-dxgi_error_device_hung-temporary-solution/

It will work for any driver.

Also, if you run RTSS (Rivatuner Statistics Server) to limit your frame rate outside the P3D application and/or use it for OSD (Video Card Monitoring Overlay) while using P3D, that is a well-known cause of DXGI errors on *some* PCs.

No-one appears to know what the underlying causes of them are, but adding a couple of lines to your Windows registry and/or uninstalling RTSS (if you have it installed) are two very good methods to reduce or eliminate the issue — I haven't had an DXGI issue on either my old GPU or my new one since I made these changes.

Thanks, I don’t have RTSS as this is the first I’ve ever heard of it.  Nor do I use OSD, in fact this PC is totally plain vanilla, not overclocked and is used only for P3D and reading old MAD magazine issues :).  I found some older drivers on NVIDIA’s site and installed one.  I made a flight today from KBLU to KSFO in the A2A Bonanza with AS weather on.  I started at 3.1 VRAM and ended with an OOM after landing.  Frames were good though.  I think the combination of Orbx’s TrueEarth Southern California, the weather, and KSFO all conspired to chew up all my VRAM.  At least I had none of the above mentioned crashes.

7 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I think the combination of Orbx’s TrueEarth Southern California, the weather, and KSFO all conspired to chew up all my VRAM

Possible.

It boils down to what size display you are running and what your settings are in P3D.
Texture size 4096*4096 on a 4K monitor at 4x SSAA, with Enhanced Atmospherics on, all the autogen, shadows, reflections and clouds at high or ultra will absolutely cause VRAM exceedance — some P3D users with extremely high-end PCs can almost reach 20 GB VRAM usage.

I posted on a different thread, what settings to change to help avoid a VRAM OOM. On a 1080Ti, you won't need to be as drastic initially with your settings as that post suggests. Yet, it could be that with your sliders pushed towards the right in a complex environment (TE NorCal + KSFO) could be too much for your GPU to deal with at a specific moment in time, when it cannot unload textures quickly enough, e.g. a view change from inside to outside the aeroplane, or a view towards downtown SFO one moment and a turn off the runway to face KSFO's terminal buildings and AI aircraft the next.

Have you checked 'Dynamic Texture Streaming' in 'Image and Texture Quality' settings? Can help to reduce texture resolutions and therefore reduce VRAM use, though for some people it can introduce stutters/cause some flickering of certain textures (not that I had those problems).

I would still highly recommend adding the two lines to your Registry as mentioned earlier, so long as you are comfortable doing so.

Anyway, good to see you back here.

• Like 1

Thanks, sorry so long to reply.  I’ll have to look at my settings in P3D for sure.

I’ll have to look at the registry settings.  I did it a few times a long time ago using RegEdit so it’s not that unfamiliar but I don’t want to goof anything up.  Appreciate your excellent help!

52 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I’ll have to look at the registry settings.

Not a problem. Hope it helps.

For anyone else interested, you can do this as follows:

In Windows 10, right click on Windows Start icon on Toolbar, then click Run from the menu.

Type regedit in the new window's Open field.

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
You can copy and paste this in the field under the menu items File, Edit, View, etc.

Then follow the rest of the directions as described in the post on Avsim that I linked to earlier in this thread.

Here's an illustration of what part of the registry edits should look like:

avFN58p.png

Don't forget to reboot your PC afterwards.

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2022 at 8:40 AM, F737NG said:

Not a problem. Hope it helps.

Hi, I did the registry thing today.  Made the same flight, kind of.  Flew the same plane in the same weather from KBLU to Oakland, then tried to go to KSFO.  But by the time I neared San Fransisco it was up to 8.4 VRAM.  I didn't make any P3D changes, this was just my first test.  I then relocated my plane to KFFC Falcon Field a few miles from where I live and the VRAM was an astonishing 3.4.

I have no idea how this works but why doesn't P3D unload VRAM as I fly or is the VRAM full because of all the scenery weather, and other stuff it has to draw?

I wish A2A and PMDG would hurry up with MSFS but I honestly don't know if that'll be any better.

More testing later with lowered P3D settings.

3 hours ago, boetie said:

How are you eyes Jack? I imagine your visual world is different since your surgery?

Cheers

Graeme :)

Hi Graeme.  They’re 20/20 and very well thanks.  I need readers but distance is perfect but what’s most striking is the colors.  The cataracts had really clouded and diminished all colors.  Now I see with new eyes and the difference is amazing.

Cheers.

Jack

• Like 1

Great to hear Jack. It's a typical comment we get from post cataract clients. Is there any surgery to help smell? I love the different scents timber give off, ha ha. Take care my friend.

Cheers

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, boetie said:

Great to hear Jack. It's a typical comment we get from post cataract clients. Is there any surgery to help smell? I love the different scents timber give off, ha ha. Take care my friend.

Cheers

I have plenty of wonderful wood smells in my wood shop.  It’s always a delight to create things in wood.  And now I have reader safety glasses for my shop.