A track with the need to remember

Stillwater

The Kokoda track runs between Owers' Corner in Central Province, 50 kilometres (31 mi) east of Port Moresby, across rugged and isolated terrain which is only passable on foot, to the village of Kokoda in Oro Province. It reaches a height of 2,490 metres (8,169 ft) as it passes around the peak of Mount Bellamy. The track travels primarily through the land of the Mountain Koiari people.
Hot, humid days with intensely cold nights, torrential rainfall and the risk of endemic tropical diseases such as malaria make it a challenging trek. Hiking the trail normally takes between four and twelve days.
We make it a bit more comfortable and use what we have in the sim. Leaving "the other direction" from Kokoda...

xNWzK02.thumb.jpg.5424b5005b5b2857a5e4968526c98b89.jpg

... we follow the track and head south.

RgoHFdF.thumb.jpg.58b422b3aa4af819a3c73e30817b6fd0.jpg

The Kokoda track was the first place in history where a direct attack towards the Australian mainland was started. Many Australian and Japanese soldiers had to fight and die here, with the result of: nothing. The Isurava shrine is one of the memorials that makes us remember.

be5utcK.thumb.jpg.e81b08cdad65887ac97ae4dfae2d34fa.jpg

JW4sFRn.thumb.jpg.d4563716a98a8be0e278024546aadb25.jpg

uKCSoac.thumb.jpg.386190f2527f02473e6d2c56178cfeb5.jpg

Today the place is a welcomed rest for the hikers...

BFooZ6u.thumb.jpg.df828553adc08644800894cedc3bce82.jpg

... surrounded by dense, hot and humid rainforest.

cZ0inW7.thumb.jpg.59779e7e5e9def05bf06bacbedb6ecfd.jpg

North Eora Creek village, not the place for a landing; ...

gh7tosl.thumb.jpg.57cbd436b0dc57438b576b6828b571ff.jpg

... the Lower Eora village looks a bit better suited.

LsW7q6T.thumb.jpg.8ad90477af28ff245f72a89e0bb3508e.jpg

15FBUyl.thumb.jpg.f4a3ed485d9a214410004ce14675bddf.jpg

The next settlement is called South Eora Creek, ...

6S4Xx3P.thumb.jpg.257d7658a6872a29ee8522636fc36737.jpg

... but we directly head on to Myola for an equipment change.

Tb8TrLH.thumb.jpg.1825c5fc438a599e22d3d5942ddf2565.jpg

For those who like to dive into historial reading, start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokoda_Track_campaign 

And the - rather obvious - map of today.

MfEeFGi.thumb.jpg.bec3f17c973a10b3506a2a2c0574c105.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, boetie said:

That's a great set my friend. The heat and humidity didn't dampen my pleasure perusing your shots.

Cheers

Graeme :)

Thank you Graeme. I suspected the weather at Tweed Heads would be the same as in my simmed tour... 8)

5 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine post indeed.

cheers 

Iain 

Thanks Iain!

4 hours ago, ikbenik said:

Fine screenies from a tropical heli tour. I love to have this heli also available for MSFS, this year available by Asobo?

Thank you "Ik". There are still some gaps in MSFS, and time will surely close them down.

6 hours ago, BradB said:

Looks like a bucket list destination in RL for you Gerold . :):)

Hahaha, John - not really. Difficult to get there, difficult to be prepared against the potential diseases. Even more: The longer this pandemic lasts, the longer the list of to-see-places grows. And we can´t even think to work on this list!

1 hour ago, lifejogger said:

Great shots Gerold and thanks for the history lesson.

Thank you John. I myself clicked around the WW2-campaign, then on to Bert Kienzle´s life and finally to the history of the Kokoda track itself. So interesting - and I think one can learn from history.

• Like 1

Another great adventure Gerold, and as I had mentioned to you earlier, a bit of a special location given it's history. Thank you for exploring the Kokoda a bit more as well as it's history. I am a true believer in the study of history, and I firmly believe then when a civilization or people forget the lessons learned from history then they are bound to be repeated. Being able to explore through the use of a simulator is a nice way to make learning about history a little more flavorful. 

I am looking forward to your next flight/leg :) 

Landon

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Great Shots!  The Kokoda Track campaign came about as a result of the Battle of the Coral Sea in May of 1942.  At Coral Sea a Japanese invasion fleet attempting to take Port Moresby by sea was repulsed in the first carrier to carrier battle in history.  As a result of the battle two Japanese fleet carriers, Zuikaku and Shokaku, were damaged and depleted, and  unable to participate in the Battle of Midway a month later.  The American carrier Yorktown was also damaged but was able to limp back to Hawaii and be patched together enough to take part in Midway.  Because of the Battle of the Coral Sea the odds were significantly evened for the Battle of Midway.  At Midway 4 Japanese carriers were sunk and the Americans lost Yorktown. After Midway the Kokoda Track campaign was the Japanese attempt to regain the imitative and take Port Moresby by land.  The Australians and the jungle fought the Japanese to a standstill.  The Kokoda Track Campaign and the Guadalcanal Campaign were the end of the beginning for the Japanese after which they were in retreat across the Pacific.

• Upvote 1

Great shots good history. I could never make this trip in RL. Couldn't carry enough beer:P in my backpack to quench my immense thirst in that kinda heat. But I would gladly fly with you in that upside down ceiling fan with a few coolers full of icy cold ones:D.

Edited by flyingleaf
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, mikee said:

Wonderful shots Gerold :)

Thank you Mikee!

13 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots good history. I could never make this trip in RL. Couldn't carry enough beer:P in my backpack to quench my immense thirst in that kinda heat. But I would gladly fly with you in that upside down ceiling fan with a few coolers full of icy cold ones:D.

Thanks Karl. The complicated logistics had a strong influence on the Kokoda campaign in WW2 as well - if they had asked you, they would have known before.

But there is always a place for you inside or outside (depending on the level of garlic served on your incoming flight) my air mower!

9 hours ago, John Mac said:

Great shots of a very rough and expensive piece of real estate. Not to be forgotten and thank you for highlighting this through your flight!

Happy landings,

John.

Thank you John. You name it, an "piece of real estate". Even the story of ground taking from the indigenous is worth reading.

21 hours ago, Bullfox said:

Great Shots!  The Kokoda Track campaign came about as a result of the Battle of the Coral Sea in May of 1942.  At Coral Sea a Japanese invasion fleet attempting to take Port Moresby by sea was repulsed in the first carrier to carrier battle in history.  As a result of the battle two Japanese fleet carriers, Zuikaku and Shokaku, were damaged and depleted, and  unable to participate in the Battle of Midway a month later.  The American carrier Yorktown was also damaged but was able to limp back to Hawaii and be patched together enough to take part in Midway.  Because of the Battle of the Coral Sea the odds were significantly evened for the Battle of Midway.  At Midway 4 Japanese carriers were sunk and the Americans lost Yorktown. After Midway the Kokoda Track campaign was the Japanese attempt to regain the imitative and take Port Moresby by land.  The Australians and the jungle fought the Japanese to a standstill.  The Kokoda Track Campaign and the Guadalcanal Campaign were the end of the beginning for the Japanese after which they were in retreat across the Pacific.

I see you have seen my little flight and read the history around the region - isn´t that interesting?

On 1/7/2022 at 6:03 PM, Sniper31 said:

Another great adventure Gerold, and as I had mentioned to you earlier, a bit of a special location given it's history. Thank you for exploring the Kokoda a bit more as well as it's history. I am a true believer in the study of history, and I firmly believe then when a civilization or people forget the lessons learned from history then they are bound to be repeated. Being able to explore through the use of a simulator is a nice way to make learning about history a little more flavorful. 

I am looking forward to your next flight/leg :) 

Landon

Thank you Landon, for watching and commenting. Indeed the history studies are well-invested time (in my eyes as well), and I enjoy reading around the locations I fly in the sim. However, the next flight will be in the same context, as you may guess from my flying habits.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, adambar said:

Impressive set of shots Gerold, we need this in MSFS. :D

Thanks for your comment Adam. The biggest disadvantage of MSFS is, that most sceneries are not (yet) enhanced by Orbx and cannot be posted for comparison here.

But as long as we can use P3D with pleasure, we still have all these places.