PAEN- Kenai (AK) still has a CTD issue

Heronjr

Hi all,

I have seen in this forum some concerns about a CTD problem around Kenai airport PAEN, in Alaska. PAEN has its own Orbx commercial scenery and it is a very impressive work. I have been using this scenery for many years, but never in Winter, because the region, as you know, is not very friendly in this time of the year.

But, some days ago, I decided to test my KA350i in Yukon/Alaska hard weather. I flew from CYXY-Whitehorse to PAFA-Fairbanks, then to PAKN-King Salmon and, when back to PAFA, I got a fatal CTD exactly over the Kenai VOR (ENA). Next day, tried the same flight and the CTD came on the same place.

To be sure of the region culpability, I started a flight at PAEN, took off, and at the first turn left, a CTD missile killed my Cessna. RIP Dec 21 = Winter.

I read some posts here about the subject, most of them without answers, or simply a recommendation for uninstall-reinstall. I would like to start a serious investigation.

To start, I will uninstall Orbx PAEN and try to fly around the field. If things work, I will change seasons gradually. Then I will reinstall Orbx PAEN and do the same in each of the 4 seasons.

I am quite sure the problem is Winter and has something with the frozen lakes option.

Anyone?

Regards.

Edited by Heronjr

• Heronjr changed the title to PAEN- Kenai (AK) still has a CTD issue

Hi all,

The following tests were made this afternoon, during 3 hours:

1. PAEN Orbx, ActiveSky OFF, season WINTER (today Zulu time) => CTD (T/O 2L turning left to take downwind leg, the point is over a marsh NW of the field).
  2. PAEN Orbx, ActiveSky OFF, season SUMMER (2021JUL09) => Flight OKAY (T/O 2L turning left to take downwind leg, then base leg, landing safe at 2L).
  3. As the region is in NA Southern Alaska, I turned off the Frozen Surfaces in Winter option and repeated the tests (1-CTD) and (2-OKAY), with the same results. The frozen (or not) surfaces option does not affect the problem.
  4. Uninstalled Orbx PAEN and repeated test (1): PAEN DEFAULT, ActiveSky OFF, season WINTER (today Zulu time) => Flight OKAY (T/O 2L turning left to take downwind leg, then base leg, landing safe at 2L). Obs.: The marsh NW of the field is not depicted in PAEN DEFAULT.
  5. Reinstalled Orbx PAEN, ActiveSky OFF, season WINTER (today Zulu time) => CTD (T/O 2L turning right this time and made a flight around the field avoiding the NW marsh. Everything went well until I decided to overfly the marsh: CTD at the same point as in test (1).

My conclusion: There is something in the Orbx PAEN scenery at the NW marsh region which provokes a CTD only in WINTER.

All my sceneries in this region and NAmerica are Orbx. I have not the necessary knowledge to search for more relations between other scenery elements involved in this region. I did not use ActiveSky because this software is often considered guilty in many CTD occurrences, not only in this forum.

Regards and happy holidays

TEST 1 - CTD over the NW marsh

PAEN ORBX CTD WINTER.png

TEST 5 - CTD over the same point at NW marsh

PAEN ORBX CTD WINTER2.png

TEST 4 - Default PAEN - Flight OKAY

PAEN DEFAULT NO-CTD WINTER.png

Edited by Heronjr