Jump to content

This Week's Meaningless Topic (#67) (Dec 18)


Recommended Posts

Hi all. At a certain stage of life, we all become shocked that things common to our youth are now considered antiques from another age. For example -- washboards, stoves with fireboxes, telephones with separate mouthpiece and earpiece, brace and bit drills, good manners. I recently shocked my 27-year-old grandson by talking about measles, mumps, and chicken pox being something everyone got in my childhood, plus the constant threat from small pox and polio. It was like I was describing life in ancient Greece. Hmmm. So, for old times' sake, I invite you to get out the memory file for this week's topic.

 

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: what things common to your youth are considered to be antiques now?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

A black and white TV with only channels 2 through 13. For some reason, channel 1 did not exist, and there was never anything on channel 10 or 12 except colored bars.

 

Landon

3 Channels for us, and no remote control. My grandma had the first colour TV, and we went there for certain shows.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

A black and white TV with only channels 2 through 13. For some reason, channel 1 did not exist, and there was never anything on channel 10 or 12 except colored bars.

 

Landon

And before TV, family gathering around the radio console to listen to the popular shows.

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

And before TV, family gathering around the radio console to listen to the popular shows.

And that was before my time Rodger ;) I did have a record player and listened to a lot of movies on record as a kid though.

 

Landon

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Stillwater said:

We went to phone booths to talk to others undisturbed by our parents. An 8 minute call was 10 Pfennig, about 6 cent today, and you had to have the required number of coins.

Datei:Rottweil, gelbe Telefonzelle.JPG – Wikipedia

I remember using this in Berlin in the 80's, before mobiles, rang the girl I eventually married every Sunday morning...

 

I remember when we got our first video recorder (VCR), it had a remote control the was attached to the unit via a cable, don't know anyone that uses videos now, it's all streaming...

 

my dad was ahead of his time, when the TVs had remote controls and then went to 4 channels he said "we had remote control for years"......" just tell the kids to change channel!"....

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, wain71 said:

I remember my now wife used to send me these with 'mixes' on them when I was in the Army so that I could play them on my Walkman, remember them?

That's a sweet memory Wayne! :)

I do remember the walkman :D

 

Many people here have army stories

For me the word army means suffering. Is the first sensation that comes to me, second, are question marks, lots of wondering

 

Cheers

Carlos

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, carlosqr said:

My nephews have not even seen one of this

 

1sHynPx.jpg

I used to make a career out of making mixed tapes as a teen-ager. What do you want for Christmas son? Blank tapes...Maxel please, or TDK...lots of them :) 

 

 

7 hours ago, carlosqr said:

That's a sweet memory Wayne! :)

I do remember the walkman :D

 

Many people here have army stories

For me the word army means suffering. Is the first sensation that comes to me, second, are question marks, lots of wondering

 

Cheers

Carlos

Carlos, everyone's stories will be varied, but I surely would not have spent 28 years in the Army if I was suffering the majority of the time. Yes, you are exposed to lots of hard challenges and situations, but they just build character ;) You learn all kinds of useful everyday skills that many folk nowadays have long forgotten. How to survive and thrive in extreme weather, eat whatever you can get a hold of and be thankful, eat and sleep in the pouring rain....I could go on and on. Bottom line now, I rarely complain about the little things in life, and I am rarely miserable now. Chances are, I've done something much harder in my past. Such was the life of a career Infantryman anyways. A good career with no regrets :) 

 

Now, do I have any of those old mix tapes lying around from some of my deployments.....

 

Landon

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You've all just reminded me.  Before the 2nd world war I had a mickey mouse cine projector made of CARDBOARD would you believe.  It showed five minute pictures featuring Mickie Mouse, Minnie and Donald Duck.  Didn't last long but was amusing at the time.  Oh, and what about cigarette cards.  If your parents were smokers, you could collect sets of them.  Then there were marbles to collect.  Lovely coloured glass balls you could play the game of marbles with.  If you could flick your marble and hit your opponent one and win his marble.  I even had a stamp collection in an album containing, would you believe, my most treasured stamp a 'Penny Black'.  The war came and that was the end of all that.  

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Carlos, everyone's stories will be varied, but I surely would not have spent 28 years in the Army if I was suffering the majority of the time. Yes, you are exposed to lots of hard challenges and situations, but they just build character ;) You learn all kinds of useful everyday skills that many folk nowadays have long forgotten. How to survive and thrive in extreme weather, eat whatever you can get a hold of and be thankful, eat and sleep in the pouring rain....I could go on and on. Bottom line now, I rarely complain about the little things in life, and I am rarely miserable now. Chances are, I've done something much harder in my past. Such was the life of a career Infantryman anyways. A good career with no regrets :) 

 

Now, do I have any of those old mix tapes lying around from some of my deployments.....

 

Landon

Very interesting Landon

I do believe character is what army builds most.

I imagined each situation. Thank you so much for sharing your perspective and experiences, I understand a lot better

I also liked a lot the TDK and Maxell there were some Chrome ones or so, right? :D

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...