P3DV5.3 season setting in sim

wain71

If I am flying now in Australia do I change season within the Sim date? I am assuming because I am in the UK it sets to fall etc based on that, also will it make a difference? a little confused here as it seems the Sim doesn't take into account where I am flying just where my PC is...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Yes , Summer down under coming soon on Dec 21st ; so change your season in P3D . 

Sorry John - Officially - here in OZ - summer started officially on Dec 1st

Dec 21st - the date you used- is actually is our LONGEST day because the sun reaches its farthest

position - South - and the next day - starts it's Journey back to your Northern Hemisphere

It's sometimes called mid - summer's day - and there are no shadows at 12 noon along the Meridian

If you look at your charts -- the line goes from Rockhampton  - through Longreach  traveling 

from Queensland to around Exmouth in West Australia - traveling over some of the World's most

deserted and driest land for 2600 miles

If you take the trip - you will also see some of the most colourful- scenery - but wait until MS do the Aussie

update next month when - hopefully - they will bring the Maps - up to date

Just a little anecdote ---- on the 21st Dec at 12 noon - I was about 300 miles out of Longreach - driving along 

the Capricorn Highway  - which is mostly a dead straight road - Quietly musing about actually being on the Capricorn

Meridian - no shadows it being 12 noon - and singing to myself - when a blue flashing light came in my rear view mirror

and - Yes - I was doing 40 over the limit - and the musing cost me $350 - and the officer -wished me the compliments of the season !!

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, John Heaton said:

Sorry John - Officially - here in OZ - summer started officially on Dec 1st

Dec 21st - the date you used- is actually is our LONGEST day because the sun reaches its farthest

position - South - and the next day - starts it's Journey back to your Northern Hemisphere

It's sometimes called mid - summer's day - and there are no shadows at 12 noon along the Meridian

If you look at your charts -- the line goes from Rockhampton  - through Longreach  traveling 

from Queensland to around Exmouth in West Australia - traveling over some of the World's most

deserted and driest land for 2600 miles

If you take the trip - you will also see some of the most colourful- scenery - but wait until MS do the Aussie

update next month when - hopefully - they will bring the Maps - up to date

Just a little anecdote ---- on the 21st Dec at 12 noon - I was about 300 miles out of Longreach - driving along 

the Capricorn Highway  - which is mostly a dead straight road - Quietly musing about actually being on the Capricorn

Meridian - no shadows it being 12 noon - and singing to myself - when a blue flashing light came in my rear view mirror

and - Yes - I was doing 40 over the limit - and the musing cost me $350 - and the officer -wished me the compliments of the season !!

Interesting , still Fall here till the 21st , tho you wouldn’t know it with 20F and snow on the ground . Well I’m glad it’s Summer somewhere . 

• Like 1

Your trivia for today. :)

When the seasons start depends on who you ask.

Astronomical seasons start at the equinox and solstice dates.

- Winter begins on the winter solstice.

- Spring begins on the spring equinox.

- Summer begins on the summer solstice.

- Fall begins on the fall equinox.

Meteorological seasons start on arbitrary dates.

- 1 December, winter starts. (Summer in the southern hemisphere)

- 1 March, spring starts. (Fall in southern hemisphere)

- 1 June, summer starts. (Winter in southern hemisphere)

- 1 September, fall starts. (Spring in the southern hemisphere)

Various countries and culture use other dates too.  Some arbitrary and others based on nature.

I think Ireland starts "Spring" on 1 February (St. Brigid's Day).  Iceland celebrates the "First Day of Summer" on the first Thursday after April 18th.

Some people use holidays.  For instance in the USA some people consider Memorial Day as the start of summer and Labor Day as the start of fall.

Some places use the date that certain temperatures are first reached or when agricultural events are started (planting, harvesting).

Some parts of the word use different seasons entirely.  Southeast Asia uses Dry, Hot, and Wet seasons.  When I lived in Panama as a kid, I think we just used Wet and Dry.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2