Skardu to Shimla, or maybe not

bernd1151

I plan to cross dangerous borders again, but my trusted Indian co will keep me out of harms way. Skardu (which I have unfortunately failed to visit during my 12 months stay in Lahore, Pakistan) is a city located in Gilgit−Baltistan, Pakistan. Wikipedia says, it is situated at an elevation of nearly 2,500 metres (8,202 feet) in the Skardu Valley, at the confluence of the Indus and Shigar Rivers. The city is an important gateway to the eight-thousanders of the nearby Karakoram mountain range. The Indus River running through the region separates the Karakoram from the Himalayas.

Skardu is a fairly peaceful city with wonderful surroundings; yet, when you look at the map, it is just two flight hours away from Kabul, one of the most dangerous places on earth these days.

TBM-930-0.jpg

TBM-930-1.jpg

TBM-930-3.jpg

TBM-930-4.jpg

TBM-930-6.jpg

Why did I write in the title “or maybe not”? Because after I took off and had a look around, I realized, how magnificent the area here is, so I decided to cancel my flight plan and have a closer look at what this wonderful place has to offer. Also the map with that big lake and Indus river promised some interesting vistas

TBM-930-6a.jpg

TBM-930-7.jpg

TBM-930-8.jpg

Over Skardu

TBM-930-10.jpg

TBM-930-11.jpg

TBM-930-12.jpg

TBM-930-9.jpg

Isn’t this just fabulous, and thank you Orbx for providing us with this superb Himalaya mesh!! Move this area to the Alps or Rocky Mountains, and real estate prices would go through the roof. And here? Hardly anyone lives here

TBM-930-15.jpg

TBM-930-16.jpg

TBM-930-17.jpg

TBM-930-18.jpg

TBM-930-20.jpg

TBM-930-21.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Wow Bernd, some beautiful and stunning exploration shots of that region. Looks very rugged yet wondrous at the same time.

Landon

Thank you, Landon. It's a beautiful area around there, only (and maybe luckily) a bit time consuming to reach.

14 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Great set Berndt!  Very well done.  Love the mesh.  Interesting flight plan!

Many thanks for your comment!

13 hours ago, BradB said:

You struck real mesh in those hill's my boy . :D:)

Hahaha, thanks so much!!

3 hours ago, John Mac said:

That’s a super set of shots and storyline!

Thanks Bernd.

Thank you John, I'm glad you like it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Nice set.

Nice touches - I note the burr walnut cockpit trim - patented Bernd I hope!

Certainly not a sheep herders mode of transportation in that region!!

TTM

I dunno , those yokes look like antler's to me , just sayin .........:o:P:D

• Like 1

GREAT GREAT GREAT tour and narrative !! And superbe pictures of this beautiful world  :)  Many thanks Bernd !

PS : I too spent time this afternoon in the north of Lhassa...with a fictional "chinese" Zero repainted to fly in this area (old chinese painting on the livery) ... ??? 8) 

Here is a link if your are interested to a fictional vintage and atypic oldie https://flightsim.to/file/24419/a6m5-zero-chinese-repaint-for-jf-s-a6m5-zero-and-a6m-n-rufe

12 hours ago, jean marc said:

GREAT GREAT GREAT tour and narrative !! And superbe pictures of this beautiful world  :)  Many thanks Bernd !

PS : I too spent time this afternoon in the north of Lhassa...with a fictional "chinese" Zero repainted to fly in this area (old chinese painting on the livery) ... ??? 8) 

Here is a link if your are interested to a fictional vintage and atypic oldie https://flightsim.to/file/24419/a6m5-zero-chinese-repaint-for-jf-s-a6m5-zero-and-a6m-n-rufe

Thank you very much Jean Marc. Yes, I have that Zero and I will download your livery. I like all your liveries!

12 hours ago, carlosqr said:

I haven't flown in that area yet

Fantastic place!

Beautiful mountains

Great shots indeed

Many thanks, Carlos

9 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

Superb scenery, and I love the livery of your aircraft!

Much appreciated François

2 hours ago, wain71 said:

superb set, very nice scenery, great looking paint job to...

Thanks a lot, Wayne