The Way We Were.......

W2DR

I went to dinner last night at the house very old friend's friend. In the course of the evening I learned that they both went to the same high school. Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn. I guess that it was inevitable that the conversation would turn to Barbra Streisand. She also went to Erasmus High. And graduated in the same year as my friend's friend, 1959. After a couple of drinks, the host brought out a picture. Taken on the set of a movie titled The Way We Were. It was of the two primary actors, Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford. And it was signed by both of them. With a special notation from Barbara remembering their high school years. Wow!

• Like 6

Over the years I've been lucky enough to have met a couple. Bing Crosby, Clint Eastwood, and Rosemary Clooney were among them. But I can't say I ever "knew" them. I don't think a one-minute "nice-to-meet-you" conversation qualifies. But I can say that I knew Arnold Palmer. For several years I coordinated corporate donations of personal computers to his children's hospital in Orlando. And played lot of golf at his Bay Hill Club :). Arnie was a truly great guy. His empathy and feeling for people was unbounded. He did an enormous amount of charity work and did almost all of it anonymously. He didn't want recognition. He already had that. All he wanted to do was help the folks in need. Especially the children. R.I.P. Arnie. You were one of the good ones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I have a friend who lives in Canada now ; Chris Debruin, a professional golfer who won the Dutch Open years ago who I played golf with regularly when I was the Golf Club Secretary and he the Club Professional.  Oh and I also played with Justin Rose every Sunday morning for a couple of years.  At 16 & 17 I also played table tennis against Johnny Leach and the famous lady players known as the Rowe Twins and managed to get soundly beaten by all of them!  The problem was they all wanted return matches!:rolleyes: 

• Like 2

I brought my wife into the room and showed her your post Rob. She almost fainted. Here was a guy who actually knew Jim Morrison. Morrison has always been her one of her favorite people. On our first visit to Paris one of the must-do-right-away things was a visit to his grave at Pere Lachaise Cemetery. I'm a bit in awe also. It's one thing to meet a guy like Morrison but it's an entirely other thing to go on a double date. Good on ya mate. 

• Like 2

Was really impressed when someone rushed over to me and screamed: " Oh my Gosh you remind me of someone famous, don't yer?"B) I was aghast and proudly said: (Thinking of the likes like tough guys Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood or Harrison FordB)).Whom do think I am Ma'am? She yelled, oh my gosh you really remind me of Moe:angry::unsure: from my favorite 'Three Stooges' Show. I want your autograph. :o:'(:D. Beers:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3