This Week's Meaningless Topic (#62) (Nov 13)

Hi all. It turns out that we are a musical bunch. Meaningless Topics centered on music really touch our chords (pun intended. The other day, I was browsing YouTube and came across an Australian guitarist named Tommy Emmanuel. I'd never heard of him but immediately became a fan. A bit of Googling revealed a distinguished musical career and talent widely respected by other musicians. And that leads us to this week's topic,

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: Which guitarists are on your list of personal greats?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John York said:

I suppose they had one in there somewhere!

There were several over the years. Probably the best, and the best known, was Al Viola. He was with Dorsey back in 1940-42. It was there he met one of the new crooners - a guy named Francis Albert Sinatra (otherwise known as Frank) and established a lifetime friendship. Sinatra often described Viola as "the greatest guitar player in the world".  https://fromthevaults-boppinbob.blogspot.com/2020/06/al-viola-born-16-june-1919.html .

Edited by W2DR
Kant spel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wain71 said:

The guy in the hat, guns and roses playing Sweet Child of Mine...

And that would be Slash ;) And yes, great guitar player as well. And Iron Maiden I love for much more then just guitar playing

Landon

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I've just recently discovered an entertaining bass guitarist, a Japanese woman. Her name is Juna Serita and she often played with a funk-jazz group called Tokyo Groove Jyoshi. Well worth a Google.

Another great woman bass player Tal Welkenfeld that plays with Jeff Beck band.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, W2DR said:

Just an aside. When my son is on stage he often wears a tee shirt with these words imprinted thereon..... "I don't need to know how to read music. I'm the bass player".

I watched a Queen tribute act on Sunday at a holiday park, they was good but I thought that the guy on Bass guitar must have some dedication because that's the backbone of the music and he doesn't get the glory that the lead guitarist gets.....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wain71 said:

Bass guitar must have some dedication because that's the backbone of the music and he doesn't get the glory that the lead guitarist gets.....

Absolutely true. The bass line IS the music. Ever see folks stomping their foot to the music. That's the bass line they're hearing. When I learned to play the piano over 70 years ago the first thing I was told is that all popular piano is based on the left hand. The "bass" hand. Down with rap.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 11/16/2021 at 3:06 PM, W2DR said:

Absolutely true. The bass line IS the music. Ever see folks stomping their foot to the music. That's the bass line they're hearing. When I learned to play the piano over 70 years ago the first thing I was told is that all popular piano is based on the left hand. The "bass" hand. Down with rap.

The music that brought the "bass line" to America by my favorite piano lady: 

• Like 4