OpenLC Asia Phase 1

dave302

Well, it's been a year since this project was announced by Orbx, and phase 1 of 3 has still not been completed.

I understand that things don't always go as planned, but frankly this situation with openLC is becoming a bit much.

I just have a simple question, and please just give a "yes" or "no" answer:

Will openLC phase 1 be released before Christmas 2021?

Thank you.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

A release before my funeral would be nice :P.

We know there is no communication about potential release dates, for good reasons.

And I am glad there is no information about our own funeral dates, for a better life.

So the analogy fits!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 787flyer said:

Yes, I have to admit a bit frustrating given Orbx has just released their Himalaya and Central Asia Mesh for MSFS. :rolleyes:

I could imagine, that this mesh is actually a spin-off product of the OLC Asia development.

Edited by wolfko
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John Dow said:

You can imagine yes but I don't think the projects are related :-)

1 hour ago, 787flyer said:

Yes that did cross my mind John, but not sure how much development would be common to both sims?

It might be possible, that Orbx bought the mesh data for OLC Asia first and then also used them for the Himalaya mesh. That would have been cost efficient. 

Edited by wolfko
  • Upvote 3

This one is sorely missed.

We have been waiting on this for a very long time and its sorely missed in P3D.

Having given up and uninstalled msfs ive even got several hundred gig of high speed ssd space spare.

Orbx 

LC Asia will be a big seller in P3D and with many returning like me after the shambles that msfs has turned into ill be glad to buy it and most anything else for P3D and xp.

But open LC Asia is a must.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darren Howie said:

LC Asia will be a big seller in P3D and with many returning like me after the shambles that msfs has turned into ill be glad to buy it and most anything else for P3D and xp.

But open LC Asia is a must.

I am fully in line with you, Darren.

Any news on OLC would be charming...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, petfy said:

Don't forget that there are possible LM military customers waiting for this project as well.

Given the widespread use of P3D as the core for full motion sims im a but surprised that more scenery developers have not hopped or tried to get into that market.

Pretty much all the airports in our A320 and 787 sims are not of the same fidelity of what i have in my home sim compared to work.

It “appears” a relatively untapped market.

Other than DCS and Milviz both doing military contracts im not aware of any scenery devs involved in the real simulator market ie doing custom scenery for airlines and sim designers.

Im sure there are just dont know of them.

Agree though im sure stuff like Asia LC would be used if available given the huge amount of flying both mil and civvie in that region.

Edited by Darren Howie
  • Upvote 2

On 11/18/2021 at 12:52 AM, TerribleT said:

Agree with all of the above and this project is particularly important to me as the last Orbx FSX compatible project for a rapidly aging FSX dinosaur like me - my plastic is ready :D

the same is true for me!! :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 11/9/2021 at 6:22 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

A release before my funeral would be nice :P.

In the end, only the youngest among us will have the opportunity to benefit from OLC Asia... :lol: ;) Maybe they should put an "in memoriam" line into Orbx Central for those we lost on the way to OLC Asia? :P Just kidding. Actually, it is not that funny when you consider that some of the folks here are a bit older.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

@Darren Howie not sure where the numbers are from, but I know equally as much people and developers who decided to abolish P3D development. To be honest, it's a wise decision as MFS will be the future of flight simulation. Asobo never told the initial release will be perfect from day one and they really try to improve a lot with each update. There's no guarantee it'll work fine on all possible system configurations available, unlike the console segment, where one Xbox is similar to another. Also, they give us in the community many additional content and features for free.

Yes,  I'm annoyed that many places in Germany lost their tress and it has not been fixed by now. But I like the fact that many, many, many addons required for a good experience in P3D are obsolete and out of the box. Guess things will change once PMDG and Co appear on the horizon. 

I'll get LC Asia, if it's ever released, but I won't return to P3D anymore. So on my side it's just to support the developers hard work. 

Kind regards. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 7:39 AM, Stillwater said:

Weeks pass, months pass, quarters pass - and I am still longing for a good p3d-Asia with the options to post some real life-sim comparison shots here...

While I have other routes in my internal store of potential routes, I'd really like to return to Asia soon. There are very interesting routes with Ethiopian or Kenya Airways over India to Hong Kong. Or think of the Pilot's Eye story of Joe Moser's farewell flight EDDP-VTBS-WSSS-VOBL-EDDP. One of my favourites, I'd love to recreate this with the appropiate aircraft :D and the appropriate airports, but I'm not going to do it without the appropiate landscape addon.

• Like 1

I'm leaning more and more towards either a single Asia openLC package, or phases 1 & 2 combined into a single openLC North/Central Asia package, leaving phase 3 Southeast Asia as a separate product.  I simply can't believe that phase 1 alone would take nearly 1.5 years to complete.

I'm actually hoping for a single openLC Asia product at this point, even if it's not ready until the second half of this year.  At least I won't have to wait any more for future openLC scenery once it's released.

Dave

• Like 3

i don't believe that they will cover such a vast area with just a single release. Just imagine the download time for such an enormous amount of data and the price which had to be charged for such a mega product! :o 

I think not many would pay such a price and/or wait for hours/days until the download has finished.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, wolfko said:

i don't believe that they will cover such a vast area with just a single release. Just imagine the download time for such an enormous amount of data and the price which had to be charged for such a mega product! :o 

I think not many would pay such a price and/or wait for hours/days until the download has finished.

Personally, I'd join Siberia to one of the other parts and make a third part maybe out of SE Asia, but that's only my point of view.

What I don't get is, why the integration of the roads has to be redone for Asia. I didn't perceive any problems concerning roads in one of the other four parts.

• Upvote 2

On 1/13/2022 at 11:47 AM, Captain Lars said:

What I don't get is, why the integration of the roads has to be redone for Asia. I didn't perceive any problems concerning roads in one of the other four parts.

Yeah, I don't understand that either.  It is a landclass scenery, not a vector scenery.  Maybe it's about the roads embedded in the textures themselves?

It's been over 2 months since my original post and we still know absolutely nothing.  I just don't get it.  It takes literally a few minutes to update everyone on the status, but I guess even that is too much to ask.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hi

If there was a definitive answer, i am sure it would be shared. But there is also the concept that it is still an unknown at this time, and not possible to give a "yes" or "no" answer.

It is obviously a "no" for being released before Christmas 2021.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not intending to start a brawl on flight simulators, but maybe it will be better to move to the next generation of flight simulator. I have tried it and am astonished at the details and quality it comes with out of the box. Maybe, the development team is considering that, too. 

Kind regards. 

3 hours ago, sun_king_135 said:

Maybe, the development team is considering that, too. 

Though a slight comment from the Orbx team on such a strategy change would be fair.

Do you remember the time when we were enthusiastically looking at JVs annual "roadmap" posts?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Do you remember the time when we were enthusiastically looking at JVs annual "roadmap" posts?

I love roadmaps, but as Nick pointed out in another thread, there's issues, especially as the community has grown significantly in recent times, and just end up with the 'When's Product X coming' or 'why didn't product x release last year', no matter how big and bold you write that the roadmap can change ;) 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 7:01 PM, EasternT3 said:

I love roadmaps, but as Nick pointed out in another thread, there's issues, especially as the community has grown significantly in recent times, and just end up with the 'When's Product X coming' or 'why didn't product x release last year', no matter how big and bold you write that the roadmap can change ;) 

It's not only about the size of the community, it's also about how much a member of a given community is willing to spend. Prices called out for MSFS products in comparison to P3D prices speak a clear language. I have a hard time imaging that the advent of MSFS has created such a large amount of die hard simmers. It has created a large amout of casual simmers of whom 95% will soon be off to more 'gamey games' or whatever distracts them best.

Let me be crystal clear: OpenLC Asia will be released, and it'll be this year.

Edited by Captain Lars
typo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

It's not only about the size of the community, it's also about how much a member of a given community is willing to spend. Prices called out for MSFS products in comparison to P3D prices speak a clear language. I have a hard time imaging that the advent of MSFS has created such a large amount of die hard simmers. It has created a large amout of casual simmers of whom 95% will soon be off to more 'gamey games' or whatever distracts them best.

Let me be crystal clear: OpenLC Asia will be released, and it'll be this year.

It's understandable that such a complex thing is a little slow. Please don't make blind guesses

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

It's not only about the size of the community, it's also about how much a member of a given community is willing to spend. Prices called out for MSFS products in comparison to P3D prices speak a clear language.

Lars, I fail to see how the amount willingness to spend is in any way relevant to a roadmap, the roadmap is there purely as a placeholder so people know roughly what to expect, I'm just saying because the community has exploded since the release of 2020, you will have more people questioning the roadmap every 5 minutes

The lower prices for MSFS addons is simple economics, a larger userbase = more sales therefore can be sold at a lower cost to achieve the same profit margin, stop thinking it's anything else ;) 

15 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

I have a hard time imaging that the advent of MSFS has created such a large amount of die hard simmers. It has created a large amout of casual simmers of whom 95% will soon be off to more 'gamey games' or whatever distracts them best.

Why are P3D users threatened so much that even when the discussion is not on sim vs sim, you feel the need to drag it back to it. I cba talking about it anymore, but the numbers are on MSFS's side, go look at navigraph's report, and these numbers will grow by the end of 2022, with the release of the NG3 and Fenix A320, that's a fact btw.

Oh yeah and btw, casual gamers tend to move on from games after 4-6 months, not 2 years.

Not that this was the point but you made it go this way Lars, MSFS is here to stay, whether you like it or not (or can accept it)

• Like 3

C'mon please Orbx. a bit more transparency would be appreciated and stop all this to and fro angst from admins and your paying customers, both who have no idea either.

Just make a statement please.

Someone some where in your company must know?

Surely

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, B12 said:

C'mon please Orbx. a bit more transparency would be appreciated and stop all this to and fro angst from admins and your paying customers, both who have no idea either.
Just make a statement please.
Someone some where in your company must know?
Surely

I second that, B12. Like I said here, an old communication rule:

• Thanks 1

@B12, obviously something struck a nerve and caused you to go on a moaning rampage this morning,

1) why are people in this thread so special, that they deserve updates about OpenLC Asia? I get the frustration in waiting but there's a similar thread for KPBI and there's no response in that either, because Orbx don't provide updates, and normal practice is only announce products very close to release, and you can see why with this thread

2) You're getting mad and crying about "Orbx doesn't care about P3D anymore", that's probably true, but you fail to see the bigger picture. even though flight simulation is hobby, Orbx and other developers are still businesses, they still need to make money, and a few developers have said that P3D is no longer commercially viable, why do you think Milviz and Aeroplane Heaven have dropped P3D this week, I am sure many other developers with follow suit.

If I was a betting man I'd sadly put money on Orbx losing money on OpenLC Asia