Auckland CBD Building Heights

Hi team,

As an Auckland resident I am highly impressed with the Auckland City Landmarks addon you have made, however do have some feedback.

The generic CBD buildings that have not been modelled in detail are far too low, resulting in quite a hollow feeling to the city center.

If you take a comparison look between this screenshot from MSFS and a Google Earth render, you'll notice the majority of the commercial buildings lining the major streets in the city center are approximately 10 stories high rather than 2 stories high as shown in the sim. I feel like even the default MSFS scenery had these heights correct?

Screenshot-9974.png
Screenshot-9975.png

From Google Earth:

Building-Heights.jpg

Building-Heights-2.jpg

Is this something that could be adjusted with some simple coding?

It would be also good to see every boat in the harbour with a wake trail. This is what the harbour typically appears like from above:

fd5b4a672fc346d07282d389d5192c1978f549e7

Edited by zkdos

• D0S changed the title to Auckland CBD Building Heights

I'm pretty sure the buildings that aren't modelled are the MSFS ones.  

And to be honest what I'm seeing in your screenshots is very similar particularly for a flight sim.  The angle of the screenshots makes the GE scenery look less flat in parts but if you look closely there aren't many areas where there are significant differences.

@John Dow have a walk around Auckland City in Google Maps street view and you wont find a single 2 story building in the entire downtown area. The above MSFS screenshots show dozens of these, evening lining the cities main street (Queen Street). 

What I am trying to explain is that from personal experience- having flown over the city on countless scenic flights over the last 10 years, the cityscape does not reflect the structure height of what exists here.

Hi Andy,

thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to alter the height or shape of the generic buildings, and we couldn't possibly custom model each of the hundreds of downtown buildings. Generic buildings are generated from Open Street Map data and anyone can contribute to improve OSM accuracy and detail. Building heights tend to be one of the parameters most in need of improvement. Thus, anyone who wants to see better downtown areas in non-photogrammetry cities can do so by improving the OSM source data before the next time Microsoft & Azure update their building database. 

Noted on the wake trails, we definitely want to improve on those, especially for the animated vessels.

Cheers, Holger

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to alter the height or shape of the generic buildings, and we couldn't possibly custom model each of the hundreds of downtown buildings. Generic buildings are generated from Open Street Map data and anyone can contribute to improve OSM accuracy and detail. Building heights tend to be one of the parameters most in need of improvement. Thus, anyone who wants to see better downtown areas in non-photogrammetry cities can do so by improving the OSM source data before the next time Microsoft & Azure update their building database. 

Noted on the wake trails, we definitely want to improve on those, especially for the animated vessels.

G'day Holger- thanks for the acknowledgment and the explanation. I'm a long time fan of your work and very impressed with Auckland overall! PC Pilot magazine will be publishing my review of this addon in their next issue.

Hopefully NZ gets selected for a world update one day in the future and we get those building levels corrected. Look forward to seeing any updates to the Auckland scenery with wakes in the future. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...